favorite Dog Breed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must say my favorite breed is my Jack Russell Terriers!! I say that because I see so MANY jrt's I don't like! But mine are delightful, and I do know many very sweet jrt's.

Mine are short and stocky. Easy going, even mellow! Except when on the trail of a rodent
default_smile.png

They are smart, easy to keep, Great with my kids, low maintenence little dogs!

They are never noisy or a pain in the neck!

I like many breeds and have a wonderful old lab which I love but could only deal with one lab at a time!

I don't like longhaired breeds, as a general rule.

I love gsd and one day will own one!

here is jacko on my bed........such a sweet boy! So gentle!

jacklegs.jpg

Here are my pair Jacko & Tulip!

doggies.jpg

If I could I'd have one of almost every breed and then the mixed ones too. However my hubby says NO NO and NO again!

My two all time favorites are Bostons and Aussies. I also love Cockers and Poodles oops there I go I can't stick to just one or two. :eek:

Aussies are definitely smart, gentle kid friendly dogs.. I grew up with one that had a (job)..my grandfathers cow herder. He would actually hire her out to other people who would need cows gotten up. She played endless games with us, took naps with us.. Everything!!

I've had danes, bostons, boxers, bull mastiffs, corgis, dobermans and german shepherds. The two I recommend for kids is danes, boxers and GS. Our GS was the smartest, most willing to please, loved the horses to no avail.. she was perfect... My husband works offshore and he would come home to her new tricks.. I could teach her tricks in 2 days AT THE MOST. She learned to play dead in 15 minutes. She was EASY to house train and loved the kids to death. She was my youngest pillow at night. She had jumped in the tub with my oldest daughter more than once.

We currently have a boxer pup and a boston terrier... My boston is "her own dog". She reminds me of a cat, she LETS you pet her, she stays to herself unless she wants something.. then she NEEDS you.

My boxer is a handfull!!! He loves the kids and the horses.. stays with me doing chores in the barn, knows when its time to go to pick the kids up.. races me to the door.

I miss my GS the most though.. she was great!! I lost all my pics of her when my computer crashed.. which I had one, she was sooo sweet. She was sooo used to horses she trusted them all.. neighbors rode up one afternoon and their horse kicked her a blow she couldn't overcome.. vet told me she didn't suffer.

KiriSam006.jpg

Oooh PICTURES!!!

This is Kiri, Bichon X Cocker.

KiriSam005.jpg

This is Kitty

KiriSam004.jpg

This is Kassy.

KiriSam001.jpg

Sam/ Kitti/ Muffet and Tessa

I have some of the Corgis somewhere- I will have to scan them in!!

BlueDunsDogs004.jpg

These are the lovely curly tails- they only carry this high when they are doing their hound impression, and are about to take off after a rabbit- when I show them I get them to carry their tails low as if the Judge does not see it she does not have to judge it!!!

I love all breeds of dogs, but prefer the smaller dog. Right now I currently have a male registered border collie, Shefdale Rusty and a male yorkiepoo(yorkshire terrier + toy poodle) named Teddy.
default_smile.png

There are a lot of dog breeds that I like, but a couple of my favorites would be shih-tzu (we have four) and collies (we have one). Pictured are Winston, our 9yo shih-tzu, and Kelsey, our 2yo collie.

WINSTON%20--%2006082005%20002.jpg

Kelsey%20--%2007062006%20--%20034.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite, although i have different breeds, is probably my schipperke. they are not a dog for everyone, but they are loving, intelligent, and, yes, sometimes bullheaded. i usually have to tell her twice to do something--its as if she is deceiding whether she wants to listen or not! i enjoy my minpin and mini poodle too, but they bark more than i like. i guess the schipperke would be my choice at this point in time. jennifer

Growing up, my family owned a lot of different kinds of dogs: Irish Setters, English Setter, Pointer, and a lot of mixes (mutts)-- German Shepherd mix, Lab mix, Brittany/Aussie, etc.

As an adult I've owned a poodle mix, a Westie/Scottie mix, a Siberian Husky, and currently a Great Dane and an Anatolian Shepherd.

Though I've loved them all, my all-time favorite is the Great Dane. She's highly intelligent, easy-going in the house, great with kids, but very intimidating to strangers (when a dog can look you straight in the face, it makes you pause, lol!) She's eager to please me, obedient, and wants to be with me all the time. People comment constantly on her huge size. A lot of times they don't know what kind of dog she is, as her ears are not cropped, and she is a white and black spotted Harlequin. I call her my "youngest child".
default_wub.png
:

My second choice is the Anatolian Shepherd. Mine is only just a year old now, but wow, she is smart. The guarding instincts have been well-bred into these dogs for many hundreds of years, and she knows her job. I feel so much more secure about my horses knowing that my Anatolian is watching out for them, even though she is still basically a puppy. I know that I will be getting another Anatolian sometime in the future, as my baby has totally sold me on the breed.

My favorite, although i have different breeds, is probably my schipperke. they are not a dog for everyone, but they are loving, intelligent, and, yes, sometimes bullheaded. i usually have to tell her twice to do something--its as if she is deceiding whether she wants to listen or not! i enjoy my minpin and mini poodle too, but they bark more than i like. i guess the schipperke would be my choice at this point in time. jennifer

We have a Schipperke, too.....husband fell in love with it when he saw it and brought it home as my birthday present. He was 3 months old then......what a dog!!!!!!

OK, Here is my two cents...LOVE GS! Absolute fav-Have one ,GREAT guardian and can trust him with ALL animals, kids, but Watch out anyone who raises their voice or hand to me or my kids (he is protection trained and we used to do competitions). That said you HAVE to buy from a REPUTABLE breeder and a lot of times you are going to have to pay a lot for a good one. Second fav-similar to the Anatolioan is our Great Pyrenees. We have two that live with and guard our horses, minis, donks,sheep , everyone. Protective of their herd, very gentle with my three kids, respectful of us, and although not mean or vicious, who wouldn't be scared of 120lbs of dog barking and throwing himself on the fence?????

Mona - you have the two breeds that I am fighting for when we get our next dog! I WANT a boston so badly. My hubby got his JRT, so I feel I should get a boston when wer re next looking for a dog. Our next "big" dog will be a boxer. That said, the best dog we ever had was a Rott. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED that dog. But with the insurance rate hike, we just can't do it again. We really love our JRT/rat cross too. He's been a great little puppy. And our big mutt is just wonderful, he might be part Aussie, not really sure.

9324778_348.ts1174499565804.jpg

I love love my schipperke. Not a breed for everyone but she has the heart of lion and loveablity of a child and is easy to keep. She minds well most of the time unless she sees a squirrel! Fia is 4 this year and hopefully expecting her next litter.

day4fiapups.jpg

Maybe you'll remember our Tippy Toes from last year....how does one resist that little bear/fox face!

tippy5wks3.jpg

I have a couple :bgrin

First, Dobermans! I've always had at least one growing up, and we have threeee now. We also occasionally foster/rescue dobes, and two of ours are pound rescues. (The one that isn't is 11 years old now, the other two are ages 7 and 2).

"My" breeds are standard Manchester Terriers and Border Terriers, though I also really like Curly Coated Retrievers and English Cockers. I'm hoping my first show dog is a Manchester, though a Border would be fine
default_yes.gif
:

Variety!

Australian Cattle dog, or Heeler. Hands down my favorite. We are on our fifth one and I am addicted. Cannot imagine life without one. They are a velcro dog and attach themselves to one person. They will form a pack with their family, but that one person is their sun and moon. They require LOTS of time, tons of toys and a job. If you dont have one for them, they will find one for themselves and you wont like it
default_rolleyes.gif
: They are just the right amount of pasture smarts and dont **&$^ with me LOL Years ago hubby got in a pickle with a huge bull, he sent my heeler after him and that dog didnt know the meaning of backing down.

These dogs are brilliantly smart and healthy so long as the breeder is responsible and does their job. Otherwise they can have a few problems such as a genetic blindness. << thats what my last one had.

I just love this breed.

A Lowchen, can't go wrong with that dog!

We have 1 boy and planning on getting another!

Anyone else own or know a lowchen?

The don't smell, dont shed and don't have any known genetic health problems!

A Lowchen, can't go wrong with that dog!

We have 1 boy and planning on getting another!

Anyone else own or know a lowchen?

The don't smell, dont shed and don't have any known genetic health problems!
actually I don't know much as they are few and far between..........so what are they like? I must admit I am not fond of the hairstyle
default_rolleyes.gif
: but am curious about the breed.

Well I love most all dogs...........however we have 3 here. A cocker and 2 bostens. They all have something unique about them and wouldnt trade any of them. HOwever my next dog will be a boxer.

I have a lab/pit bull mix right now that I love. I also am getting a Dogo Argentino, or Argentinian Mastiff in the near future. LOVE this breed, but not the easiest to find... not many breeders around my area.

my lab/pit bull mix

feb07026.jpg

march8011.jpg

Latest posts

Back