favorite Dog Breed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivin*me*buggy

Reaction score
With all this dog talk, let's share what our favorite breed of dog is.....and why.

I have had mutts, labs, chesapeake bay retrievers in the past and now have my mini schnauzer and our 14 yr old choc. lab...We are thinking about adding another big dog in the future (when we only have our schnauzer who is 2 and who would be a lonely boy as an only dog I think)

We are considering a German Shepherd. We think they are beautiful and smart (although we have never had one) we wonder how they are with small kids and other dogs/cats/horses. We would like a loving family dog, if it's appearance makes undesired people not want to prowl around our place (hubby is in law enforcement), that's not a bad thing, most important is wonderful temprament though. Maybe your fav breed will help our family make a decision in the future. The other breed we were thinking about was a Lab, esp since we know what they are like, although they tend to love everyone and show it
default_wink.png
: .

So to answer my own original question... Currently I would have to say my mini schnauzer, Timber,...he absolutely loves us, he is my 2 1/2 yr old son's BEST friend, he doesn't shed, he is so easy to live with. That being said, we found a breeder we were very comfy with, I loved her adult dogs, temperment tested the pups, and worked hard with Timber to shape him into the dog he is today. We were very careful to make sure he never thought he was higher in the pack than any of us especially our son and he is obedience trained. He is not yappy...although I know many of the breed can be (that would drive me nuts
default_wacko.png
: )

So...let's hear yours???

Angie

I'll play
default_yes.gif
:

My favorite breed won't help you in your search because it's not a big breed. :bgrin It's the Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

We've had a variety of dogs over the last 20 years and our first was a corgi mix and we fell in love with the PWC breed then. Now, 20 years later, we are finally getting our first corgi! I'm way beyond excited. :risa8: The litter is due in April and I get first pick and have become fast friends with my most awesome breeder. This is one of my breeders little boys that I just adore.

buck1.png

I do have to say, I'm a MAJOR dog fancier and I love most all breeds of dogs, however there are a few I would never own. Just don't care for them all that much, the "bully" breeds or terriers. Both breeds have traits that would drive me nuts, especially those little JRT's! LOL!! :eek: (of course, no offense to JRT, terrier or "bully" breed fans!, I just know what I like or dislike in a dog, which is a good thing to know BEFORE getting a dog, unfortunately, toooo many people don't research these things BEFORE bringing home a pup
default_wacko.png
: :eek: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Favorite breeds for me:

Pembroke Welsh Corgi

Old English Mastiff

Great Dane

JJay

I'll look at any dog that has not had part of it's anatomy surgically removed for cosmetic purposes!!
default_smile.png

Have had Dobes (unaltered) for over 25 years now, have also had (unaltered) Pembroke Corgis.

Am currently looking for a Min. Schnauzer.

As docking is now illegal (here) I should (SHOULD) be spoilt for choice!!!

We have had mixed breed large dogs but in the last 14 years we have had Labs and love them. They just are so sweet natured and fun. We have just aquired our first small dog ever which is a miniature Schnauzer and are enjoying her so much.We now have 2 chocolate labs 14 and 11 years old a black Lab 2 years yellow Lab 1 year and the Schnauzer is about 8 months old.

Oh...easy for me...the Mini Aussie. I just had a new litter this week...adorable blues and black tris.

I like the Mini Aussie because of it's size, but it also it has that wonderful Aussie personality! They are extremly devoted to pleasing their people. They are protective but not agressive. They make great house pets (however, they do shed) but do equally well outside in all types of weather. They are not considered a delicate dog and do well in all types of weather conditions.

If I were you...I'd pick an Aussie, regardless of size!

The Cane Corso. I have to say this breed which is of the Mastiff breed has been one that we have enjoyed very much owning in the short time we have had her. She will turn two on March 27th and from the first day she joined our family has found a place inside or hearts. Very loyal and committed family dog. Loves her people and her animals and altho this is a giant breed (she is 120 lbs. now at 2 yrs. of age and still has some filling out to do) she can be oh so gentle and loving.

That being said, this breed of dog is not for everyone. You definitely have to have the upper hand and set the boundaries of being alpha. With their size and reputation they can easily intimidate and if not bred, or raised in the proper hands and environment (as with many dogs) or socialized properly they can have their downfalls.

Please check out my website in my signature and go to "Lakota's Pages". You can see her from when she was a pup to now and read all about her as well. She's done all kinds of companionship events from puppy classes to Rally-O and loves it. I think we have found our breed. In the past we have owned and loved Boxers too. And "Tweety" is our 5 yr. old little Boxer .....her and Lakota fill our lives with pleasure and fun...and they take care of "their" horses and walk the farm with all our other livestock. They all blend and they all belong. Here is "Lakota Iron Wolf".

ebc392f3.jpg

Here are the two "sisters"

eb0b8b5b.jpg

Well, tis is easy enough to say for me. I guess I now have 2 favorites, and I suppose because they sort of resemble each other in appearance and personality. They are Boxers and Boston Terriers. We are now on our 3rd Boxer, and out forst Boston. They are both very happy breeds, that lve to make you smile or laugh at their antics.

The Boxer is a good all around family dog, not mean, and is friendly, but will apparently defend if need be. You can view my Boxer, "Shimmer's" page HERE .

The Boston is a crazy, clownish little dog, that loves to be the center of attention, and is small enough to snuggle up on my lap.
default_yes.gif
: You can view my Boston, "Molly's" page HERE .

I love the overall looks and temperaments of both of these snub-nosed breeds.

Hands down a POM any day! Give me my fuzzy lap warmer and I'll be happy. I've met poms I didn't like, but never owned one that I didn't like! Small dogs just need to be raised like they aren't small, and they won't know they are any different LOL No spoilt yappy biters in my house.

Chow chow.................forever and always will be my favorite breed. I love these dogs, they are loyal, family dogs who often are very catlike. I usually tell people if they don't like cats they wont like chows. They are stubborn, independent, almost impossible to offleash obedience train (free spirits) :bgrin. They are excellent house dogs very tidy and very quiet. They don't fetch on command but like to carry things around and play with toys by themselves.

The drawbacks to the breed.

They MUST be socialized from a young age and continuing throughout their lives. They have a strong prey drive that must be curtailed when young if they are to live with cats or small dogs. They aren't real pack oriented with other dogs which means they often do NOT like other dogs (all of mine have gotten on fine with other dogs except for 1). They are not easy dogs and physical punishment or harsh treatment will backfire. They need regular brushing but the coat is not too tough to take care of my pup gets brushed once a week or so and a bath and intense grooming once a month (usually before a show).

They make excellent pillows for tv watching
default_yes.gif
: seems one of the kids is always using one of the dogs for a pillow
default_rolleyes.gif
: . Their bad reputation can be a bonus as few people willingly break into a house with a chow in it :bgrin
default_wink.png
: even if the chow would let them in and show them around :eek:

The other breed for me would be borzoi's. They are such elegant dogs and very easy to live with as well. (I love the sight hounds in general)

I love the Pembroke Welsh Corgi, I have four of them and foster rescue dogs. They are big dogs in small bodies, and they are not for everyone. They shed like crazy, herd children, herd animals, shed, bark, shed, bark. Very smart. Did I mention they shed? Oh yeah, they shed. This is my boy, CH Forfox Face The Music
Frasier0903.jpg
and this is Gracie, aka Talllyrand Glory Bound. She flunks dog showing, just hates it so I am searching for a new show prospect.
GracieSetUpSmall.jpg

Mutts mutts mutts :bgrin we LOVE our mutts, no matter what the size or mix... we've had more health problems with purebreds over the years, no matter what the breed...

that said if i was EVER to get a purebred dog, and i have never seen one in person, just pictures, but i LOVE the English Setter - if you haven't heard of them, and they aren't common, imagine an Irish Setter - body style, feathers on the legs and tail... and color it, not red, but black with brown markings like a Dobie or Rott.

If I could afford to feed one I would also love an Irish Wolfhound, their size just blows me away... and I am drawing a blank right now but there was a post recently from someone who brought "Suzie" home, and that breed is also one I would love a chance to get to know...

or for a little dog, my dream has always been a teacup Yorkie female... however given my current lifestyle that would be very impractical for the little one... getting stepped on by one of the equines could be horrific!!

Lets see.

I started out (as a kid) with a miniature poodle (VERY smart, lots of grooming)

2 Akitas (too smart and animal aggressive) my weren't and thats why I don't get another, they were not the norm and I am afraid I would compare.

Rottie (smart, sweet, looks aggressive) would have another

Anatolian Shepherds (VERY smart, think for themselves) can be excellent family pets but they generally prefer working. As long as I have mini's will have Anatolians.

Cattle Dog (very smart, possesive, sometimes scares people)

Tibetan Spaniel (sweet, smart, loving, Very cute, but a small dog)

Robin

I am tickled to death with the latest dog we have! I love terrier personalities but there's often bad with the good. With my Cairn terrier I think I've found my perfect companion! She's smart, loveable, not as hyper as my JRT was, and doesn't shed much! Plus she's just the right size for a "take a long" dog.

Here's my buddy Cami

100_0789.jpg

I'm with the corgi crew! Absolutely love the lil' low riders, have 2 of my own and tho I do general dog rescue/fostering I pay special attention to those corgis in need! My lil' Bobo was a 3 legged corgi at our local HS that I sprung to foster. Hmm. . . and a couple of years later, he's still here!

But I agree, they are NOT for everyone. My 2 boys fight like they are pits (by that I simply mean very difficult to untangle) if something sets them off. So many corgis do tend to not play well with others!

My first corgi was a dream with kids and other dogs, if I'd started with the 2 naughty fellas I have now I don't know that I would have fallen so in love with the breed!

So for you corgi breeders out there - PUH-lease stop breeding those with "naughty" tempermants - not that I'd trade my 2 for the world! :bgrin

PAPILLONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love the bred they are so funny and very smart. I really want to breed them when i get out of school. They are the best breed we have ever had in the house.

Oh boy...I just love dogs! I have had several different breeds in the past, just loved my greyhound and would have one again for sure, love my sheltie, definately love a mixed breed especially since they seem to live longer than a purebred, also love blue heelers(acd's), boxers, aussies, malanois'(belgian shepard),min pins, pomeranians, chihauhaus, okay....I just really love dogs!!! I even love prairie dogs!! roflmbo
default_wub.png
: I obviously can't pick a favorite! :eek:

The hairless Chinese Crested Dog. Standard Poodles are a close second.

I love everything about my hairless dog, Nigel, and i find the breed to just be wonderful, even if my other one has allergies and is a special needs kid.

However they are very much NOT a breed for everyone. They require a coat in winter, and dog safe sunscreen in summer. They can have skin and tooth issues, especially if they are from a poor quality breeder or haven't been properly cared for in the past. And a lot of people think they are ugly so you have to deal with people making ignorant or mean comments about them. But i wouldn;t trade mine for the world.

This is my Hairless Chinese Crested Dog, Nigel... this was last winter and he has his coat on. We were living at my mother in laws house at the time and he is on her couch:

nigelcoat.jpg

I adopted him from an all breed rescue 5 years ago and I can't imagine life without him. Plus he doesn;t shed!!!

This is a picture of him snoozing on the couch that same day, it shows how much he looks like an over stuff sausage with legs. he has actually got fit again after this and looks sleek and trim (My mother in law was stuffing him full of table scraps behind my back at this time):

nigelsnooze.jpg

I just love coon dogs of all sorts. I like blueticks the best, though. But my parents will not allow them, because they are noisey. The closest thing I have is a gun-shy english setter, lol. My 2nd fav. is probably Border Collies. We breed them. Not like, professionally. We basically offer our dog for brood, because she has great bloodlines. Both her parents were imports, her dam a champion oversees, her sire a champ both here and there.

This is our female, Abbie:

scan0024.jpg

our male, Beaux. He's her son, but nobody wanted him because he is poorly marked. He's extremely smart, but not quite finished being trained.

DSC00410.jpg

scan0032.jpg

(with his sire, Blaze)

some of our puppies from the last litter. That was a bad year. We almost lost her, because she had too many puppies, along with some other complications that snuck up on us.:

scan0003.jpg

scan0019.jpg

I love them, because they are just so smart and easy to train.

But my fav. small dog is a malti-poo. Mine just died, but I had her for 17 years. Poodle crosses don't tend to shed, and she wasn't as yippy as lots of other little dogs tend to be.

My favorite is definitely the shetland sheepdog aka sheltie. My family has had several and currently my aunt and I have two. They are so smart and usually easy to train.

Latest posts

Back