favorite Dog Breed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was trying to get one now, but I keep being told no. We already have 3 house dogs. I have to wait until one dies before I can get a boxer. Which as much as I want a boxer hopefully that wont be for a long time. Mitzy is 2, Spider is 4 and Sweet Pea is 5, however I dont think Sweet Pea is going to live a long life. She broke her leg as a pup and already limps pretty good when its cold and stuff so I think her life will be shortened by arthritis.

First and foremost....

[SIZE=24pt]BORZOI[/SIZE]

This is Folli... I lost her to osteosarcoma a couple of years ago...

RSMXD-img004.jpg

NBJBO-img002.jpg

Folli with Tag... my first [SIZE=24pt]Smooth Fox Terrier[/SIZE]

XYWMK-Scans0001.jpg

Tag brought Folli up...

Tag in action on the agility course...

JUBHD-img005.jpg

I lost Tag
default_sad.png
... and so Folli brought up Fig - Smooth Fox number two!

QSWQM-Scans0002.jpg

Fig in action - this is at a flyball demo...

TGUQE-figturn.jpg

And a flyball tournament...

CZNOG-IMGP0168.JPG

And then after Folli crossed the Rainbow Bridge
default_sad.png
, Tug came along...

[SIZE=24pt]Border Terrier[/SIZE]

Fig brought him up...

BBLLN-IMGP0039.JPG

Tug at the flyball demo...

DJSWP-tugFD.jpg

He is also in my avatar at the moment.

I will always have one of these three breeds... but Borzois have always been my first love...

Last edited by a moderator:
I LOVE the keeshonds. They are just great dogs and will always have a special place in my heart. Right now I have one male, as my old lady passed away a couple months ago. He is great, he has lots of agility titles and just finnished his RA in rally last weekend. Jaz is a great dog.

I also have a standard schnauzer. She is a great dog, and the breed is wonderful, and, for me, just the right size. She has a strong work ethics and needs to be busy. She is only 18 months old, so is training but not competing in agility, but she does have her RN for Rally, and will go into the regular obedience ring soon.

I tried to find a low chen, I would love to have one, but there are so few around here. Someday I hope to get one.

I've never seen a borzoi before! Very cute. Is it a sighthound?

And I'd loooove to be able to do agility. Beaux enjoys jumping and climbing, etc, but when I do things with him his mom will come out and he'll get distracted and start chasing her
default_rolleyes.gif
: He's a goober of a dog, really.

I have to say my favorite breed would be the Golden Retreiver. They are just so happy and people lovely. My family has had 2, and we all love them to bits. They will do anything for you if they can.

First and foremost....

[SIZE=24pt]BORZOI[/SIZE]

This is Folli... I lost her to osteosarcoma a couple of years ago...

RSMXD-img004.jpg

NBJBO-img002.jpg

Folli with Tag... my first [SIZE=24pt]Smooth Fox Terrier[/SIZE]

XYWMK-Scans0001.jpg

Tag brought Folli up...

Tag in action on the agility course...

JUBHD-img005.jpg

I lost Tag
default_sad.png
... and so Folli brought up Fig - Smooth Fox number two!

QSWQM-Scans0002.jpg

Fig in action - this is at a flyball demo...

TGUQE-figturn.jpg

And a flyball tournament...

CZNOG-IMGP0168.JPG

And then after Folli crossed the Rainbow Bridge
default_sad.png
, Tug came along...

[SIZE=24pt]Border Terrier[/SIZE]

Fig brought him up...

BBLLN-IMGP0039.JPG

Tug at the flyball demo...

DJSWP-tugFD.jpg

He is also in my avatar at the moment.

I will always have one of these three breeds... but Borzois have always been my first love...
Yeah for Borzoi!!!

The Bull Mastiff is one I love and miss having. I will, again one day, own another pair.

This is what AKC says about them...

Working life

With its handsome and powerful appearance, along with surprising speed, coupled with incredible strength and endurance, Bullmastiffs can overtake and capture intruders without mauling them. These traits make the Bullmastiff appear to be an excellent choice for a guard dog; however, a stubborn streak makes the animal somewhat resistant to obedience training and they can be overly protective of their human family. Due to this, the breed has been overtaken by others, more popular as guard dogs. Bred to sneak up on poachers, the Bullmastiff barks much less often than other breeds, but when they bark they will make your head turn, as it is dark and hollow sounding. The Bullmastiff was recognized as a pure-bred dog in 1924 by the English Kennel Club. In October, 1933, The American Kennel Club recognized the Bullmastiff. The foundation breeding was 60% Mastiff and 40% Bulldog (which was the Old English Bulldog, not the modern short English Bulldog of today).

Mine were not difficult to train, but they are, like mentioned very protective of their human family. My male, Sam, would get between me and the door (nicely, but ready) when someone would come up. And always had to sit on my feet. They were never aggressive, and Onery loved the shows. One thing though, they never really learned they were big when they grew up. I learned from the experience of my 1st that you can't allow them to do anything while they are little that you don't want them to do when they are grown, or you may find you have a 150 pound lap dog! LOL!

Plus they come in many colors, which I enjoy.

Color

Any shade of brindle, fawn, or red is allowed as long as the color is pure and clear. In the United States, however, there is no mention in the standard of the color being "pure and clear". The fawn is a light tan or blond color, while the red is a richer, red-brown. This can range from a deep red to a light red merging with the fawn sometimes described as a red-fawn. A slight white marking on the chest is permissible, but other white markings are undesirable. A black muzzle is essential, toning off towards the eyes, with dark markings around eyes contributing to the expression

I've had many breeds in my life, I always find myself interested in the working class group, I love all of those.

On the other end, the Tiny Teacup Pom. was a breed I enjoyed having. But none could match Kibbles in that breed. :~)

My all time favorite was my Pit Bull/ Border Collie, Jynger. But she was just special, I don't think it had much to do with the breed.

Wish I had pictures to share, but they are packed.

I am sure, that with this research you are doing, you will find the breed that best suits your needs and desires!

~Karen

A Lowchen, can't go wrong with that dog!

We have 1 boy and planning on getting another!

Anyone else own or know a lowchen?

The don't smell, dont shed and don't have any known genetic health problems!
actually I don't know much as they are few and far between..........so what are they like? I must admit I am not fond of the hairstyle
default_rolleyes.gif
: but am curious about the breed.

Hehehe, no the hairstyle is not the greatest, so we clip our boy "short back and sides"

They are extremely intelligent dogs and change colour several times during there life.

Here is my boy as an 8 week old pup

Pepsi2.jpg

and now at 5

P4090008.jpg

And here he is playing "dead" when I shoot him with my finger :p

Here is abit of info on the breed........

The Lowchen is a cheerful, lively, affectionate dog. Sociable and intelligent, it is eager to learn. These dogs are fearless, but gentle and sensitive. Lowchen usually learn quickly and present little difficulty in their training. Playful, they are good with children and usually will do okay with other dogs as well as non-canine pets. Its lion-cut coat makes it look fragile and rather undignified, although this is definitely not the case. The Lowchen is a robust, even tough dog which can be strong-willed and arrogant. Males, in particular, are quite willing to challenge other large household dogs for leadership. A lot of times they will usually be "top dog" even though they are not the biggest dog in the house. If necessary it will defend its house with intense barking.

By 1960, they were granted the title "rarest breed" by the Guinness Book of World records. No longer, however, do they win the dubitable claim to fame as the "rarest breed."

My boy pepsi is the best boy ever, he is very gentle and loves playing with the kittens and the Angora Rabbit!

Quinn%20and%20Bridget.jpg

Bridget is my German Shorthaired Pointer and my "baby". Very, very, very active (two speeds, off and high), smart, loveable but you have to appreciate the GSP's quirks like twirling and bouncing in anticipation of car rides, going outside or eating, raiding the counter with one swipe of a well manicured paw, sneaking around to find "kitty box crunchies" in the litter pan or trying to raid the garbage... :smileypuke: . Love that she does not shed a lot.
default_yes.gif
: She loves to snuggle with me - all the fun and snuggles of a little dog in a big dog body. She is a young horse chaser... hoping her last run-in with Nefertiti a few months ago and a set of Neffie's hooves to her chest has caused her to re-think that nasty hobby.

Quinn is the yellow Lab... very active, playful, celebrating his 2nd birthday tomorrow. He is not the sharpest knife in the drawer and he will hide behind a tree to bark at visitors while Bridget is up in their face with her throaty bark. Loves to chew ANYTHING so he has a selection of bones, loves to swim, tries to climb in laps but he is like the bull in the china store...but loyal, soft hearted and a sweet boy.
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
: Even likes licking the horses' lips...the only one who tolerates it is Enterprise the chestnut Morgan filly... the others HATE it and Mercy will squeal and try to stomp on him. He is my second yellow Lab and I love him too.

Had a Basset Hound until she had to be put to sleep... a loveable breed but very stubborn and set in their ways but I love the look they have. Lots of ear cleaning, baths to reduce the "hound smell" and some housetraining problems with the breed as a whole...Emily was my third Basset and she was a piece of work... we do miss her!

Have had German Shepherds growing up and Border Collie mixes. Each has their pros and cons... but one of my favorite dogs belonged to my second cousin... a purebred black and tan Doberman named Elsa. She was very sweet with her floppy, uncropped ears and I felt safe walking her in the city of Philadelphia...my cousin was mugged and bought her for protection. People would cross the street to avoid walking near her, but she was a real sweetheart.

Good luck in finding a puppy!

Denise

Silversong Farm

Thanks everyone for all your replies and sharing your thoughts on different breeds!

I think we are a huge group of dog lovers as well as horse lovers. I just finished clipping and bathing my mini schnauzer, Timber. He and my son are on the same hair cut schedule
default_wink.png
:

We will see what this summer brings as far as a new pup. It would need to be a family project so we would all need to be on board.

Give your pups all a hug
default_smile.png

Angie

Labrador Retrievers all the way!! I have been raised around them and fell in love from day one.

Picture001.jpg

abgirl.jpg

lazy.jpg

sher1.jpg

Cocker Spaniels...cant help it....yes I know their are other breeds...but I love them...had Cockers almost 30 years and they are so fun....

This is Good Golly Miss Molly.

molfac.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love all dogs, well not really Pekinese, but the rest...... My favorite is probably the Bluetick Coonhound. I have my 2nd now and she just turned 1. She weighs in at 65# and will now start filling out :new_shocked: . I love their attitudes and their "singing". We live close enough to our neighbors that it can be a problem. When we had my first girl, Seneca, she would stand in the middle of the yard and just serenade for hours. One morning I asked the neighbors if it bothered them and they told me "NO, we usually open the window so we can hear her better!" Thank God they are dog lovers!!!!

The hound is normally a laid back individual that doesn't like to expend a lot of useless energy, ie walking too much, getting out of the sun........But Baylee has a LOT of energy and loves playing.

Growing up I've had all types of large breed MUTTS. GS/Chow cross, Pitbull cross, Heinz 57s. I've even had 3 Chi's at one time. Hubby likes the hunting group so he had a Black Lab when we met that lived to be 12 and then he got Citori, a GSP. She is the sweetest girl ever and is another one that will bend over backwards to please. She hates to get in trouble. She will be 14 this year and is really starting to show some age.

Now we have 3, the Hound, the GSP and a dumped off JRT. Cami is a unique JRT in that she is a very mellow girl in the house. If you are sitting, she wants to curl up in your lap. They are NOT the dog for everyone as they are normally high energy, obnoxious dogs.

Citori at 12, still playing ball!

citori2.jpg

Baylee as a pup

baylee07.jpg

and about a month ago after a long day of playing

baylee16.jpg

Then Cami, being "cute"

camy5.jpg

It has to be a Shih Tzu if its little.....
beaux.jpg

This is Beau...from my last litter I bred. I will sure miss the little ones...but I still will have him and his Dad Sam
Beaudishes.jpg
this is Beau helping me with the dishes
default_wub.png
:

Latest posts

Back