Fat or pregnant

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the update. Did the vet give you any idea of how far along she is?

Oh, and Congratulations, even if it wasn't what you wanted or needed at this point I wish you all the fun a new foal can bring.

Not yet. I have not asked much. They have been busy, just got back from going out town for their daughters wedding. I am getting over bronchitis. We are going to fence in our yard and build a small barn for them. Had no idea what all we were getting into when we decided to get A pony. Lol we are excited though. Do you think the baby will turn out to be a little paint like the daddy or solid like the mommy?

I only saw them mate the one time. They had been together for about six months before that. Will they mate if they are already pregnant?

Well, congratulations on your upcoming baby. I hope you will join us on the Marestare/Foal forum here on LB. We'll be happy to watch with you during her pregnancy, and are there to help answer any questions you may have during the pregnancy.

And your answer to "will they mate if they are already pregnant" question is, sometimes these mares are little hussies, and will allow a stallion to mount even when they're already pregnant. Most do not, but there are some that certainly will.

~~Diane at Castle Rock

If you are feeding good quality alfalfa hay, do NOT feed a whole flake for a Mini. Mine are on dry lots (no such thing as pasture here in the desert) and mine get fed twice a day but a 'flake', depending on how much it weighs, will feed several Minis. A flake is what breaks off of the bale of hay- the section that comes off. Alfalfa is not something you ever want to free feed or over feed- your horses would be obese, and too much weight can cause a lot of other health issues. However, I have fed alfalfa for over 4 decades and it's good feed. An alfalfa and grass diet would be lovely for them, however not to the point that they get too fat.

I would have teeth checked on all three of them as I can assure you, it doesnt sound like they came from a home who would ever both with such a thing and that thin one doesnt look quite right to me. But they dont have to be thin to have teeth problems. I get my entire herd checked every year by a qualified equine dentist to make sure all is well- and if they dont need any floating, then that's great and I know they are in good shape.

I too would definitely seperate your mare from the boys if you do not want to risk your mare to foaling. Foaling Minis is not for the faint of heart- I have seen some terrible results from foaling problems. Also, if both of those are stallions, how are you even going to know who the baby daddy is? LOL

I have known stallions that were still fertile into their 20's, so yes, she could still become pregnant.

Havent read all the posts, so others may have commented on the same things....

Oops, well see that you got the news back that your mare is pregnant. She needs to be seperated. Also, she does not need 'extra feed' until her last trimester, according to what many vets have told me, or she will get too fat, which is not good either.

Read anything and everything you can on foaling. She should not be left to foal on her own, based on the amount of things that seem to go wrong with Miniatures during foaling. Learn about what to expect, what to look for, when to know when a problem is occuring so you can get to your vet immediately. If you cannot save the foal, saving the mare is important.

I would still have all their teeth checked, make sure they have been wormed with a good wormer (no Quest) and good luck! Yep, we will be expecting you to join the foaling threads in spring, LOL I am expecting about 5 at my place- if everyone settled and all goes well.

Welcome to the Forum- you came to the right place!!

Well I am getting into this mini horse thing. I have a lot to learn. My vet floated the little ones teeth best he could. The little one is called Peanut. Wishbone is the daddy he said his teeth were getting smooth too. I have to watch to make sure they aren't loosing a lot of food while chewing. They seem to be fine with everything except that alfalfa and Timothy grass. Timothy grass seemed the worst. I get everything from tractor supply and their hay has been horrid. I guess I am going to have to find someone who sells square bales as I don't have room for those huge rolls. It would go bad just sitting out. I do have some questions about my little peanut. Someone said the farrier needs time to get his hoofs in shape. I thought they looked good. He has a funny looking foot compared to the others I think it looks a deformed(all four hoofs) he walks and runs fine. He does have skinny legs. He is getting a pot belly now. I had to give the old guys weight gainer when I first got them. You could see their spines and hip bones. They looked broken. And they still had a winter coat! I actually took peanut to the vet for mange! Lol. He took forever to shed and the others were finished so I thought he was sick! I am learning! I will have to post a pic of his little legs and feet tomorrow. He only has the one eye now but is all healed good. I love him to pieces! I still have not gotten them fixed yet. I am going to though. My husband does not want me to fix them. He likes the idea of the babies but one is all we are going to get and I hope that Patty has a little girl. I went and got Patty some mare and foal feed today. She liked it. We are going to start the little barns next week. I am going to make two little ones and one a little bigger for Patty. When do I have to seperate them? Why? Will they be mean to the baby? They all get along so good. Sometimes they pick on peanut and I get on to them but they all nuzzle and groom each other. They lay down together. Patty and wishbone are the pAir though. Why do I have to keep him from his daddy? He is going to want to love it too huh?yeah I know a lot of questions in one post! I am in planning mode and y'all are getting my rambling mind. Sorry. I live in Louisiana by the way so our weather is the flip of a coin. I see a lot of you guys are where it gets really cold. Look I know she has to be by herself after the baby is born but how long before wishbone and peanut meet the baby. This question is bc I need to know if I need to somehow split the fence. I don't really want to do that. Good lord, glancing at my post y'all are gonna think I am a crazy jumbled mess!

You said seperate her. Why? She does not like being away from the others. She is already pregnant. Can't they stay together until almost time? Every time I had to dr on wishbone, Patty was right beside him trying to help and nuzzle him to comfort him. I thought it was really sweet. She is always nuzzling on peanut too. She is going to be a perfect mommy. I am worried about her having it though that scares me. I will torture you all with that in a couple of months.

Here is a pic of Patty's ninnies. What do y'all think. I am going to say they bred in February. I know it was cold out and I think it was before Easter. I should have written it down but i thought the stallion was too old to get her pregnant.image.jpg

If your youngest, Wishbone, is starting to get a grass/hay belly (I can't remember how old you said he was) you might start increasing his protein in his diet. Many people think a horse is "fat" because their belly gets big. That's not true, especially in the youngsters. Take you hands and actually "feel" his body -- can you feel ribs, hip bones, etc? The younger horses during their growth periods (weanlings, yearlings and really up to 3 year olds) actually need a higher protein intake than mature horses need to maintain themselves. You can accomplish this with feeding a higher protein feed and add some alfalfa pellets to the feed. This will boost the protein intake for Wishbone, and if they are fed separately, you can monitor his intake. However, the alfalfa pellets will also be a good thing for Patty, as she is growing that new little one, and certainly won't hurt your stallion either.

The picture is a "good start" picture to watch how her udder develops. You'll notice changes, and perhaps see some swelling in front of the udder before you actually see changes in the udder itself.

I hope you will join us on the Mare/Foal forum here on LB. We're happy to watch as Patty moves along in her pregnancy. She's a pretty girl!

I only have one young one. That is Patty. Vet said she is either four or seven years old. The other two are both old, in their twenties. Peanut is the tiny one. Wishbone is the daddy. Peanuts teeth were filed as best as he could. He said his mouth is just so small. He seems to eat fine though. Thanks so much. Peanut can't put anything big in his little mouth. Or very hard. I had bought some carrot snacks but I had to find little pieces for him. Wishbone had no problem with them though. Patty is young and can eat anything.

As to separating fence - a cattle panel pen will work fine. Can be as big or as small as you like. The panels are 50" tall, 16' long. Then can be attached to steel fence posts or to wooden ones. you can make your pen any size - square, round or rectangular. For short term paddocks, you may not need posts every 8', but I would recommend that. Better for the panels and much stronger. The posts can still be pulled out of the ground. You can also use the panels to build a shelter as well (detailed in another post). I use these panels for smaller pens to separate mares and foals for a while, my 50' round pen and also in much larger pastures.

I don't have any pictures lately of fencing on wooden posts - but here is one of our mares in a 16' x 16' pen with her newborn filly. We knew this mare was "good" in a fence and that corner behind her has no fence post. If those panels weren't strapped tight to each other the one in front of her would fall down... She and her filly stayed in that for a week, before going back out in the pasture with the group. I put Bell and her filly out in the pasture first, then started turning the others out in the pasture, too. It was the same group that Bell had been with before giving birth. We'd already set up the pen, but had left Bell out that night since she had no impending signs of foaling... she foaled the next morning out in the herd, of course! The others in the pasture were all experienced brood mares that I knew wouldn't "steal" the new baby, but ... Bell was quite relieved and happily let us pick up "Classy" and take her to the pen on grass.

12mar29cla308.jpg

Your herd is very different in dynamics! Normally, 2 stallions housed together with a mare would literally KILL each other or at least harangue each other enough to cause loss of weight and injuries. You may find as yours get into better condition and they aren't just worried about "stuffing their bellies" that they will start fighting. Even a gelding and a stallion housed with a mare can create issues. Sometimes 2 geldings and a mare don't work. Sometimes the geldings will fight over the mare just as much as they would as stallions. Sometimes the problem is the mare.

Is your mare a maiden? If so, she could completely change into a slavering, human and horse killing witch when her new baby arrives. Even if she's not a maiden - having other horses stick their noses in her baby's direction could be a problem. If she is an alpha horse already - you may have already seen her drive the boys around. If not, then what she "might" become will come as a shock... Just because she is a tiny mini doesn't mean she won't be upset by the presence of strangers - she may do anything to protect that baby. OR she could be just fine! She's a mare.

Separating her from the boys is safer for everyone. If you don't know what she is like as a mom, never getting between her and her foal is a good start. We often handle our mares a lot before the foal comes. Then, with a maiden or a nervous/upset mare, we handle the foal with either two people (one always handling the mare with a halter and leadrope and if needed a chain either under or over the nose) or the mare is haltered and tied up before the foal is handled. You'd be surprised how fast an angry mare can turn on you if her baby squeals wrong. That said - most of our mares have been a dream to handle them and the babies - but again - we handle the mares A LOT. Two mares that I have - I don't handle the foals with the mares loose in the first couple of weeks. I'd be placing myself into a position to be seriously injured and I don't currently have anyone who can care for all of our ponies besides myself... Once the newness has worn off their foals - they don't care anymore.

This could have been bad news... Bell has been great with us and her foals since I purchased her in 2009. She ended up nursing two other foals besides her own that fall when I shipped them from IA to NC and the two other foals "needed" her.

12mar29cla297.jpg

In the first photo, there could have easily been a problem. This is Satin's 5th foal for us. Her first one came with her when he was 2 weeks old. Satin had to be sedated every time that colt was handled until he was 6 weeks old. Both my vet and I had to have stitches from injuries she caused with her teeth when she got mad. Her foals would squall like "stuck pigs" when they got upset and if she was loose and anywhere close, she'd come running and "all on the prod"... not any different than a wild boar, IMO. Our daughter should not be between the mare and the foal. In the 2nd pic, she's shifted and the filly's bum is bumping against the mare's chest - however if satin got mad, she could still reach Madira. Satin is tied very short...

b120.jpg
4307.jpg

Also, some stallions and/or geldings will kill/injure/"steal" foals. Some will raise foals. I have had one that would put up with new foals actually trying to suckle on him (OMG, that's too funny!!) and would actually "clean and scrub" them with his tongue just like the dam would. For some of our mares, that was a relief. For others, it was a problem. in our herd situation, when we did turn our stallion out, we learned which mares were ok with him with the "new" foals. A couple of times, he corrected the mares when they tried to turn on him (he actually knocked one mare down - then he "bunted" the foal over to it's dam. We caught the mare and foal and put them separate for a bit longer - in our round pen for more than a month before that maiden mare went back out to the pasture. The mare had foaled in a stall and had been turned out when her filly was a week old. Later, that same mare would not stand for breeding - even though our boy said she was definitely ready. Her whole attitude showed in her constantly touching her foal who was tied in front of her, flattened ears, knashing teeth while tied, stomping hind legs - like she was saying ..."you created that - you ain't comin' near me!!" LOL. We waited until her foal was older and she'd relaxed her "mommy 'tude", then she stood for rebreeding. She was never like that again - for a total of 6 more foals.). Our stallion (1st one) could be used as a weaning buddy when the mare was removed between 4 - 6 months after the foal was born. That worked great until the foals - either sex - were yearlings (in the spring of their yearling year - not all of them would have been true year old yet). Then he'd attack both sexes and drive them away from his herd (we had 4 mares for quite a number of years). He couldn't be turned out with geldings - he'd chase, harass and constantly be on the attack and could weave a gelding around into a corner and keep him there for hours on end. He'd go w/o water/food/hay to "teach that one" a lesson... And he wasn't happy to be caught while in that mode of "operandi"...

Our 2nd stallion was good with the mares and foals together - didn't have him out with the mares/foals all the time like we did with our first stallion. He was often kept in a smaller paddock with mares that were already pregnant or with larger horse mares & we had one gelding that he could be put with before we used him for breeding a lot. That gelding went home before we'd had this stallion for long - so don't know if that arrangement would have continued to work or not. The gelding was a "lower totem pole" 3 yr old arabian - over 15 hh, our stallion was 10 yrs old and 40" tall.

From the pics you posted I can't really see anything with the horses' hooves. Can you do an angle more from the side and on hard ground (cement or a board or rubber mat) would be easiest to tell what's going on. If they haven't had proper hoof care in a while, it can take several trimmings to get them back where they should be while also keeping them sound.

Hay - I've often found that our larger Shetlands did terrible on Timothy hay. I've found that timothy hay here in NC is shipped in usually from NY. I've had 4 different suppliers (plus a couple of feed stores) and it's always been rough and stemmy. I've never had it tested for it's nutrient levels. TSC usually has local hay or shipped in hay - and nope - it's not always the best. Also, your humidity will take a toll on any hay when it's stored. I know it does here. With how small yours are - it may work best to have the small squares instead of the larger rounds.

And so that you know that it's not all bad with mares and foals -

Patty and Sierra w/ Spirit (2 weeks before Patty passed away and Spirit was sold). Spirit was born in July 98 - so he's 8 months old. He's already been weaned, but he's back out in the pasture (& to the best of our knowledge at that time, not nursing).

6fff.jpg

This is Stuffy checking on Cupid. Stuffy is Spirit's full sister - she was born in 1996. This pic taken in 2010 when Cupid is 5 days old. Notice that Cupid is between Stuffy and Ashley. Ashley is also talking to Stuffy - relaying that it's ok and Cupid is in no danger. Cupid is Stuffy's 2nd foal - her first for us.

10221cu899.jpg

and Stuffy again with her 2013 colt and our 2 1/2 yr old granddaughter... Notice she's quite watchful - though accepting.

13apr17sColt384.jpg

All 3 of our daughters with our 4th Shetland foal - the first one out of this mare... Pixie is 4 months old.

801c.jpg

In the foreground is Madira hanging over Frosty before remounting Magic for a riding lesson. Frosty is about a week old and I had led him down to the barn (2 miles) while our daughter's rode. Oldest daughter is getting a lesson on our Arab mare while youngest daughter is holding that colt, Blizzard, in the back ground. Blizzard was born 2 days before Frosty - right after we got a whole lot of snow for NC. Frosty spent part of 'Dira's riding lesson running loose beside his dam and the rest of it with me holding him. Can't remember who Sierra was riding this day - she maybe didn't have a riding lesson - but that would have been unusual...

FrostyDiraStand.jpg

This is Magic with her 2nd foal and Sierra and 'Dira... Frosty is about a week old and the girls are working with him - rubbing him all over and tapping on his hooves. Yep, Magic is loose...

00Feb6FrostyDSMagicImprint.jpg

Thanks Paula. I just have to pray to God that they all still get along as one happy herd. I just like a simple life. Patty is everyone's boss. Patty also is the caretaker. I am hoping that eventually my tiny one and the baby will pair up to be buddies. That way everyone has a best friend. I like all the pics. We got these for our grand kids. I want to give them awesome memories! Although I have fallen in love and call them mine now! I think god gave us what we needed and it is all going to work out. I have seen Patty be mean. She ran up and kicked little Peanut and knocked him flat down for no reason right after we got back from the vet taking his eye out. I was mortified! The baby had just had major surgery! Talk about blindsided. Vet said they were just getting their pecking order down again. I think they get a little jealous of the baby bc he is always my first for everything. He gets to roam around the whole place loose bc he minds me so good. Don't worry we always keep our eye on him and he is usually stuck up our butt whatever we are doing. I get really mad and fuss at them if they are mean to him. It is usually over food. Something funny though happened. It is usually me taking care and my daughter helps too. My son and husband help when they are here. One day at feeding time I was getting everything ready and walked in the pen and my husband was standing, leaning by the gate. Here comes my little peanut running to go out to eat ( I seperate him cause he eats so slow) and Patty started to run at him and butt him away. I yelled "stop "but she ignored me. My husband standing there said in a loud voice "stop it Patty" and she put the brakes on and did not move. She just stood there until I put her food down. It kinda made me mad a little bc I spend so much time taking care of them. They stop when my son raises his voice too. I don't let them get over on me.

Kim -

I really recommend that you go ahead and put up some pens. You can even cut the 16' panels down to a smaller size (8' if you like). At least do a couple so that you can separate your "babies" at feeding time.

I've dealt with eye surgeries and eye injuries. Your sooooo lucky he didn't get seriously injured when she "asserted her dominance" right after the "major surgery". You could have had to put him down and that would have been sad.

Being able to separate "your babies" when you need or want to will actually simplify your life much more than you realize. And they will still be beside each other.

At feeding time, our ponies are individually tied up in each paddock and pasture. I do have some pens and have some ponies in them. I also have open "feeder pens" that we put the big horses in at feeding time.

Here is a pic of 2 of the 8 ponies fed at buckets inside our 50' round pen. They all wear collars (I just bought "marker tags" to put their names on, but didn't get it done this weekend) and they are tied up to eat. I moved all the buckets inside the round pen so that if any of these young mares "gets a wild hair" and doesn't want to be caught, the gate can be closed and the ones at their buckets tied, get fed.

14jun18mix552.jpg

Here's the girls in their pasture. They are now in the barn pasture and get fed in the barn. The boys got shifted out of the barn and back into the front paddock along the road (2 months of grass growth). Bit and Stuffy are both wearing fly masks - Bit is wearing the Cashel Crusader (1st mare) and Stuffy behind her is wearing a Farnam fly mask. Generally I take their masks off when they are fed - I check, and treat if necessary, their eyes. I can also spray off the masks and shake them out a bit while filling the 100 gallon water tank.

14jul10mix155.jpg

I have to finish the pics and load them to online album tomorrow. I found some pics showing the "feeder pens".

Latest posts

Back