Fat or pregnant

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim P

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the world of ponies. My son bought my grandchild her first pony and the guy gave us two old ones too, as he was moving and needed to get rid of them. The vet says that Patty is either four or seven. She does not have that line in her tooth. The two boys are over twenty. I saw them breed. I am thinking maybe he is too old to get her pregnant. She has gained a lot of weight. They all have. Especially Patty. I feed them all the same except Patty is a mowing machine! The vet told me I would know if she did not mate again the next month. I have not seen them again but that does not mean they didn't. I saw them breed in March I think. How do I know if she is just from grazing or pregnant. Do the boys ever get too old to reproduce? I don't really know how to post a pic on here, but I can to FB or a phone message.

Hi.. for photos, click "more reply options" at bottom of the posting box... browse for your photo, then you have to do two steps once you have browsed for your photo.. click "attach this file" and when your photo shows up as a thumbnail in a separate box under your message box, look to the right of that box and you will see a "add to post" option... and your photo will show up in your message.

Now... for your questions... since you said you are "new to ponies" I am going to ask a super basic question... are you sure the male horses are both stallions? There are some geldings that jump mares when they are in heat. I ask this because I was a bit surprised that the man sent two stallions along to live with a mare pony that was to be a pet for a little girl. I would not ask this question except for your comment about being new to ponies, I am in no way being sarcastic. I used to work for a vet and have explained animal anatomy to many people, the funniest was explaining to a lady that her bunny did not have "tumors", but that she had testicles and she could think about changing "her" name.

I personally don't recommend housing two stallions with one mare all together all the time. Breeders might chime in and have a different opinion, but it isn't something I would do. If I were buying a pony for my child, I would not want the distraction of breeding... and foaling and my child wandering into the field to see her new pony and have the stallion giving her an "education" etc.

Secondly... you have to watch that grass on ponies.. Many can founder easily on unlimited grass. Founder would be a disaster, especially if she is already pregnant. I would have the vet check her for pregnancy, and separate her from the stallions to prevent any more breeding should they be fertile and stallions... I would not wait a month to see if they do it again and take another chance of a breeding.

I have so many questions. I don't want to overwhelm you with a huge posting...

Horses need more than just grass, I give mine a supplement and for my fat boy, he gets remission or quiescence to help prevent founder and a cresty neck.

If she already has a cresty neck and fat pads, you need to act quickly. If my boys had unlimited grazing they would get HUGE in no time and would probably founder. This is true for many small equine but not all..

I hope this helps. Welcome to the forum and welcome to the wonderful world of small horses (or ponies). best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't find your remark sarcastic. I do not know. The man gave us little info. The one that mounted her is very gentle and tame. He is a little skittish. I think it is bc someone drilled a hole in his nose to knock a tooth out. That is what our vet said. The man said it was so he could breathe! The other one can't mount her, he is too little. He only weighs 78 pounds. He wanted too! How do I know a stallion from a gelding? I give her about two cups of 12% sweet feed in the mornings then take her out to graze for about 8 hours. I then give her about two more cups of feed and put her back in her pen with some alfalfa to nibble on. If she was pregnant she would be about six months. I feed the other two the same and they are not near as big. I was putting weight gainer on the boys food. Not anymore. Am I feeding too much. My vet told me to let the smallest one eat all the grass he wanted! He was in bad shape. Not anymore. So tell me how to tell if he is a stallion or gelding. That will answer my question!

Shorthorsemom covered all the basics I think. You can tell (in general, sometimes they aren't visible but that is not all that common) a stallion by standing behind him, lift the tail off to one side, does he have anything there? A swelling or bag? If you feel or see 2 lumps between his rear legs you have a stallion. If not, it is probable that he has been gelded but as I said earlier, could be the testicles will not be visible. Check both, if they are both stallions you could be in for some grief since they will argue over the mare. It is possible that the smaller boy was in such bad shape because the larger one drove him away from the feed. Yes, I think you are feeding too much. Feeding is something you will get lots of different advice on and must be adjusted for individual horses but this is what I am feeding mine at present. 1 hour on grass in the morning followed by about 3 lbs of hay in their dry lot ( there are 6 horses) In the afternoon I give them another 3 lbs of hay as well as a ration balancer supplement and then 6lbs of hay before bed.

YES, that is unquestionably a stallion and it would be best for the horses and your family if he were separated (and gelded as soon as he is healthy enough to be done). Breeding is a risky business with minis, often leading to heartbreak and not really the best thing for absolute beginners. Also handling a stallion is best not done by a child.

All that said, welcome to the forums.

Okay. Well I can't seem to put Patty's pic up. They are all healthy now. Aren't they too old to fix. They are in their twenties. I keep the little one separate at feeding so he can eat all his food. I am going to try to put Patty's pic up again

image.jpg

wow... for sure a stallion by that photo. Those big black balloons are his testicles.

I would geld, I have no idea what my vet would think about doing that to a 20 year old pony. I would definitely separate the stallions from the mare for now, and strongly advise you to consider contacting a rescue organization to rehome the stallions to a place with more experienced horse folks to take care of. Breeding is not for a newbie. Stallions are a whole different chapter in horse ownership and in most cases are not for newbies (inexperienced horse folks) either.

Gelding them is necessary, but requires after care and will cost a lot of money to do both and you would need to know what to look for and hand walking exercise etc.

Perhaps you could find a rescue association who would let you adopt a gelding for companion for your mare and that rescue could maybe find a more suitable placement for those stallions.

My words of advice is "there is no such thing as a free horse". These horses will need farrier service... shots... vet services... feed... worming... I could go on and on. Farrier service (hoof trims) can cost $25 to 30 a piece and needs to be done every 6-8 weeks. Horses are expensive and winter costs will astound you. You need proper stabling too. I am wondering what kind of set up you have. one run in shed with three horses, two stallions and one mare will be a war and somebody will be left out in the cold.

YES that is way too much food... in my opinion, but that is assuming the mare is not yet pregnant. Every day puts her at risk to get pregnant and yes they can breed through fences. There is no such thing as "too short"... you would be surprised what they can do.

For my boys they get limited grazing.... muzzled since they tend to get fat.. I feed no grain. especially avoid sugared grain sweet feed for fatties. I feed enrich 32 or something equivalent for vitamin supplement. I feed fine grass hay. No alfalfa. There are breeding folks that feed alfalfa, but this is not for fatties that get limited exercise.

Not much respect for the guy who gave away those stallions with a mare intended for a child.

Keep the questions coming. You will light up the forum with this string... Hang tough and take the critique as education and please don't get your feelings hurt in the process. Folks will want to help.

ps.. 78 lbs for one of the stallions? Is he skinny? I have had dogs that weigh more than that. If you posted photos of the stallions, they didn't show up. Just the testicle photo and your mare showed up.

My geldings are about 250-300 lbs.

you asked about food... I feed 2 flakes or more per gelding per day of fine clean grass hay. More in winter. The amount of supplement would differ depending on their size, and if the mare is pregnant or not.

Sorry, I just keep thinking and coming back for more typing ...

Did the former owner of the horses have them all three in a field together? Or were they separate, and they are now together at your home.

How old is your granddaughter?

take care.

I have had their hooves trimmed and shots and wormed. I don't want to get rid of any of them in these short months I love them all! Especially the boy one he mounted her. He is the one with the hole in his nose. I took him to my vet and I had to flush the hole and give him antibiotics. I want him to sew it up if he can. We have to see if he needs any teeth pulled. He minds better than any of them. He is the one we sit the kids on and lead around bare back. The kids are all small three and four. He is not mean at all. The tiny one I had to take to the vet and get his eye removed as soon as they brought him home and treat a bad boo boo on his back where a dog had got him! No there is no such thing as a free horse. He was supposedly raised in the house with a German shepherd. They are all so sweet. We never ride the little one. We ride Patty too. We don't ride them all the time though. We also take them to my mother in laws and let them loose on about twenty acres to run their little hearts out. We just let them play. They come home with us. I have already invested a lot and we love them. My vet just lives about five miles in case of emergency. So I am not getting rid of them. I need to build a separate pen then. I will post a pic of before I got them and now and a pic of wishbones nose if y'all want. They are in a dry pen so to say with a run in stall. We are going to cut the back of our shop with a door so they can go in their for the winter. Did anyone think that she looks pregnant?

Yes they were in a pen much smaller than now. They were all together. He had only had Patty a short time my grand daughter is only three. I have others though that enjoy them and they are four and five. I will post another pic. You can tell me if their pen is too small and if I need to add on. I never planned on babies and hope I don't have any.

I don't know why I am having a hard time! Am I not supposed to hit the reply button after I hit attach file!

image.jpg

Patty looks great. Hard to tell if she is pregnant or fat from the picture, can your vet do a preg test? I wonder if your vet is a horse vet or knows about livestock? If I were to guess, I'd say she is pregnant and maybe farther along than 6 months as well (bred before you got her) I agree with shorthorsemom, not sure I'm very impressed with the previous owner. If you have decided you will keep these horses no matter what then you have a steep learning curve ahead. It can be done but you need to read and hear everything you can and keep asking questions even if sometimes people's answers aren't worded well and sound like they are attacking you. Mostly it is not meant that way and we (those of us on these forums) truly intend to be helpful and offer our best advice. Only you can decide what advice you will follow and please, discuss our suggestions with your vet, he/she is trained to help with these choices. There is more than one 'right' way to do most things with your horses.

If you don't want any foals and the risk to the health and well being of your mare you will need to separate her from the boys with wire that they can not mount her thro (many find an electric line at chest height helps discourage the stallion from trying as well.

Good luck, these little monsters really do worm their way into our hearts.

Latest posts

Back