fat or pregant - they don't fit in blankets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee_minis

Reaction score
Got some fat mares and will later have growing pregnant mares that don't fit in their blankets because the belly band is too short. Is there such a thing as an extender?

I can't sew and don't own a sewing machine...

Why do they need blanketing? If they have a good coat, in good health, and a place to get in out of inclement weather, they should be fine. I never blanket any of mine unless they are very old and shivering, or ill, etc. Healthy horses shouldn't need to be blanketed.

Why do they need blanketing? If they have a good coat, in good health, and a place to get in out of inclement weather, they should be fine. I never blanket any of mine unless they are very old and shivering, or ill, etc. Healthy horses shouldn't need to be blanketed.

Well that's a generalized statement if I've ever heard one
default_wink.png
I have a very healthy 5 year old mare here that, once the temps dip below -5 cesius or so, will start shivering. Some horses cannot tolerate cold, period. Here she is on a warmer day at the end of March (the first day I had her blanket off)...Looks pretty healthy, huh? (and she had a very strong, healthy, fat filly the previous summer, too
default_biggrin.png
)

DSCF00252.jpg

I will say that she hasn't needed one yet...I keep hoping that she'll toughen up since..when the blanket goes on it can't be removed (except to groom etc., of course), once the temps are consistently frigid
default_ohnoes.jpg
She just doesn't get the best winter coat. It's shiny, lustrous, but only "fluffy". I watch the temps and her etc. and then put one on her as needed. I kind of love it as I don't need to clip her and she loves being in her snug blanket when it's -15 or more celsius. My other filly is set for the winter and I know I won't have to worry about her.

It's a huge myth that any horse that needs a blanket is thin, unhealthy, wormy, etc. Yes, horses that are thin, unhealthy, and wormy need blanketing. But there are plenty of horses that do not do well in cold weather that are very healthy. Coming from a huge Thoroughbred background...well, all of them were blanketed (as were the warmbloods). I agree; if a horse grows a nice, thick coat and is fine (and you don't want to ride him/her) don't blanket. But some need to be.

Here is her fat (too fat) weanling filly (that didn't need blanketing lol) in her new home (the day after I delivered her).

Briar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
While MOST do not need blanketed, there are those few --

In the past I've purchased animals who were from different climes and needed more shelter and/or blanketing, etc. Preggers, too!! Majority of my blankets came from Equine Design and I found that the shipping leg bands were the exact width of their belly bands...and the placement of the velcro on each end was perfect to just hook up with the velcro on the blanket velcro.
default_aktion033.gif

Sooooo, if you have the velcro type you should check that out, even for another brand.

I don't really need to explain why I feel the need to blanket some of my horses, do I?

Mine are as healthy as any mini can be and I blanket mine! I let them grow winter coats last year but it gets so cold up hear in Maine. So this year they are all blanketed. But I understand about the belly strap!!! They make them so short on every blanket!! I mean It may just be me but doesn't every horse gain a little bit in the winter?? People who make the blankets need to think ahead.
default_smile.png

You can get belly band extenders, I know you can!!!

That's what you are thinking of, right?

I love this blanket and it works great and is very adjustable for my fat, growing, pregnant, etc. horses. 
Those look like nice blankets. Are they open front? If they are closed front, they don't have a size that will fit any of my minis; I have a 36", a 44" and the rest are 50" or 52" for blankets.

I had that problem last year as I have a mare that forgets to grow a winter coat and then shivers and gets colic. I got these and they were perfect.

http://horse-supplie...band%20Extender

aktion033.gif
Thank you for the link, those look like really nice extenders. So far, my blankets have continued to fit fat, pregnant or not, but you never know. [i only have two that wear blankets on a regular basis, the rest seem to do fine. And, this year one of my blanket wearers has been fine without.]

Latest posts

Back