FAT Minis- Weight lost help needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I know those horses!!!! If it is Cadle creeks Heartbreaking Romeo, I have one of his off spring, She is georgous, and very lean, (out of RFM's Independance Day) I also have his full sister who is about 32.5 inches, and all she has to do is look at food. She has a 3 month old and being a mom hasn't held her back at all. As far as Dreamie, I believe she was worked with quite a bit in the past. There are a couple of other sites I have come across that have siblings of Romeo's on them, pm me if you want the sites. Under that pudge, tfrom what I recall, there is a really nice looking boy.

As far as their reliability about the mare not being bred, while mistakes happen, she is a responsible handler, keeping stallions and mares seperate, and doing her best to only allow intentional breedings. You got yourself some nice horses.

Carolyn

Last edited by a moderator:
How about some recent pics so we can see if they are loosing weight and give an objective opinion--not that we don't believe you but we LOVE pics
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
They are such beautiful animals--show them off some more
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

I will get some this weekend. My husband is off this week to scout came, so no photo assistant!

How about some recent pics so we can see if they are loosing weight and give an objective opinion--not that we don't believe you but we LOVE pics
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
They are such beautiful animals--show them off some more
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

that's them. I will PM you my email address, would love to see photos of relatives.

Did not mean to imply the person I got them from was not being responsible. They were seperated until just before I picked them up.

I have been ground driving both of them. May go ahead and hook the Mare up to a cart this weekend

I think I know those horses!!!! If it is Cadle creeks Heartbreaking Romeo, I have one of his off spring, She is georgous, and very lean, (out of RFM's Independance Day) I also have his full sister who is about 32.5 inches, and all she has to do is look at food. She has a 3 month old and being a mom hasn't held her back at all. As far as Dreamie, I believe she was worked with quite a bit in the past. There are a couple of other sites I have come across that have siblings of Romeo's on them, pm me if you want the sites. Under that pudge, tfrom what I recall, there is a really nice looking boy.

As far as their reliability about the mare not being bred, while mistakes happen, she is a responsible handler, keeping stallions and mares seperate, and doing her best to only allow intentional breedings. You got yourself some nice horses.

Carolyn

yes I used a standard tape like you would on big horses.

there is a formula using measurements of body length and heart girth. It is supposed to be a little more acurate than a tape.

How did you use the weigh tape? Did you use it like a big horse? I know there are other ways to use the tape to weight a mini, I'm just curious.

When I first got my two mares--after big horses--I just let them run where the big horse ran and they got fat. But--in crests, not so much bellies. My farrier said don't look at bellies, look at crests. He said grass is not salad--it's ice cream. He suggested we block off one tiny part of the pasture, and feed just enough hay they could eat in 20 minutes twice a day. He said I was feeding them too much since there was some laying around. We exercised them too--my husband and I ran with them. In no time at all they looked fabulous.

I'm not a beet bulp person... not do I feed grain. My horses do not need the extra calories of anything. I do want them to get vit/min without adding more of what they don't need, so I feed Buckeye's Gro N Win. Just 1/3 c twice a day-it's protein/vit/min only.

Also, I weigh my hay so I know exactly what they're getting. Since I have full control over what they eat in fall/winter, they look great. As soon as spring grass comes in, most of them gain some. I move them around in pastures as best as I can to help the issue--and I give them very little hay for the night, but I know too, once fall/winter comes, they'll lose the extra. It's amazing to me how much our pastures resemble dry lots and they still get enough.

I hope this helps a little.
default_smile.png

Your horses are gorgeous.
default_yes.gif

I just put the part about breeding in there just to put your mind at ease, if you did have any doubts of them being bred or not. Her horses were always more than she made them out to be, and the ones I have were all well socialized and handled. She had some good bloodlines and some very nice horses when she was breeding and showing. I'll send you some picks later.

Carolyn

Oh no doubt they were well cared for and well loved. Romeo is such a gentleman. I am very thankful to have them

I just put the part about breeding in there just to put your mind at ease, if you did have any doubts of them being bred or not. Her horses were always more than she made them out to be, and the ones I have were all well socialized and handled. She had some good bloodlines and some very nice horses when she was breeding and showing. I'll send you some picks later.

Carolyn

I do believe I have tried everything to battle the bulge. I am now feeding all my adult minis 1/2 flake of grass hay, 1/2 hour turn out on weedy pasture and 1/2 cup of alfalfa pellets (something to add the 1 tablespoon of flaxseed to). They are on drylot the rest of the day. SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOWY they are losing weight. They get worked lightly 3 times per week for an hour.

A great reference source is the Cushings list on Yahoo.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/EquineCushings/

while I dont know yet if my two are insulin resistant ( think type 2 diabetes in humans) ( will be getting bloodwork soon) I am feeding them like they are. Is is basically a low sugar diet.

I never knew that grass was high in sugar.

From what I have found minis can be prone to IR. ( as can some other breeds) high sugar diets can cause IR as well as compromise horses that are already IR. IR can lead to cushings.

If nothing else I have learned how important it is to properly feed.

Latest posts

Back