Farrier etiquette

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Barefoot farrier had to quit trimming due to an injury. I have found another (not Barefoot) who seems to be doing a good job. He has trimmed mine twice, but they were already in good condition so I think it is too soon to tell if he is good for long term. So far things look fine.

He charges $25 per horse and uses power tools. A trim takes him about 10 minutes. When he comes, there are usually between 7-15 horses, as I haul 11 miles to meet him at a central place.

My question: what about tipping? Christmas bonus? Is cash better than check?

Good farriers are hard to find so I want to do the right thing. ( My Barefoot trimmer was my dil, so the etiquette was entirely different.)

My horses are easy to do, as they stand nicely.

I have always tipped for a good job, and showing up on time. Our rescues had never had farrier work, and were awful. I paid him double, just so he'd come back, lol!

At least we are entertaining..

I have an amazing farrier who I've used for a long time; he shoes all our big horses and trims the minis. I always make sure that my horses are ready to go when he arrives, that he has a shady area in which to work, and I also give him Christmas gifts. This year I gave him a gift certificate for dinner to one of his favorite restaurants for him and his wife. He does a great job with my horses, and I do my best to show my appreciation for his hard work.

Liz N.

As a farrier, I do apperciate tips always.
default_smile.png

I do prefure cash as payment, but a few folks make payments by a personal check and throw in a tip on that. I dont mind since I know their checks are good.

I also take chickens as tips from one client. She got me into bantam cochins, so every once in awhile, she'll give me some really nice and pretty hens and I love that! Another person gives me iris flowers as she got me into them too. LOL!

Wow, we have a lot in common but tipping is NOT one of them! I do not tip- end of story. Call me "scrooge" if you wish but basically I expect someone to tell me what the job costs, not say a price and them expect perks. I don't even tip London cabs, and they expect it! Tough, I am never going to see them again and I have never seen them before, I wish to go from a to b not make a friend for life, so I guess I just do not understand the tipping mindset. I will tip in a restaurant if it is part of the waiter's wage (which it should not be, in an ideal world) and if the service warrants it.

OK, sorry, sidetracked there for a bit- what I really do not get is why the farrier would not charge the right amount in the first place. I can understand a Christmas bonus and I can understand a birthday present if you know when it is, but pay DOUBLE?? Gosh, it would have to have diamonds studded in the hooves for me to do that.

To answer some of the question, though, I would definitely give a Christmas bonus, if it is warranted. That sort of thing just keeps the world turning round nicely and gives people a feeling of being appreciated.

Those that work in a service industry deserve a tip if they do a good or great job. You know your hairdresser, dog groomer, houskeeper, cab driver, doorman, etc. It lets them know that you like their service and are appreciated. I even leave something at Christmas for my mailman and my trashmen to let them know I appreciate their service.

Sometimes my Dad gives extra for gas here and back. (Before I did them, when we had a farrier come over)

The servive industry is full of people who put up with a LOT, work hard, and get paid minimum wage. If their service is what I want, I always tip.

We all know great farriers are hard to find and they rarely expect tips, but I find it is nice to do if you like what they're doing. They know you appreciate them and in turn may go above and beyond for you. It all comes back in the end
default_smile.png
And that goes for all areas of the service industry.

I used to tip my farrier when he did O So. He charges 35 dollars so it was easier just to give him 40 bucks and be done. Then I got Pippin. I figured he would charge me a little less per horse since I had 2 now. Maybe 30 a horse, but he still charges the 35 dollars per horse. It takes him just as long to do two then it did to do the one. Takes him one hour. So I figure 70 bucks for an hours worth of work is good enough! No more tips. I get paid 16 dollars an hour with no tips.

One reason I asked about the tip, in my particular circumstance, is that he is already doing many horses and I haul--he does not come to me. He takes a maximum of 20 minutes to do my horses. I am thinking $50 is pretty good remuneration for his time and skill. If he drove to my house and only did my horses, I would expect to pay extra for gas. Since we are new to each other, I am thinking next year a gift certificate for a restaurant, or a gas card for Christmas--if we are still farrier/client.

I believe in tipping for a service I am happy and the amount of tip reflects how satisfied or dissatisfied I am with the service.

I am a dog groomer and I greatly appreciates tips and gifts and I make sure to always express my gratitude. It does convey that my client is happy with the work I have done.

However, I am also aware that some of my clients simply can not afford to tip and that doesn't mean they or their pet receive any less special attention to my quality of work. With my established clientele, I can nearly pay all my monthly bills with tips alone. Most of all, it reassures me I am exceeding my customer's expectations. And that is a grand sense of accomplishment.

I don't always tip my farrier but occasionally I will for circumstances such as:

A particularly difficult horse such as a new horse I don't know well or a baby that is having a tantrum that day... Not all of my horses I have coming in have perfect manners (eventually they do with time!) and to me, that unpredictable nature makes it only seem fair to give them more than usual due to the extra difficulty and my appreciation for their patience. They do risk getting hurt. I call it the "naughty pony tip."

And my farriers are good about coming back to tack on a shoe that has come off in the rare occasion. They guarantee their work and always come to fix things for free on the rare occasion but I do appreciate their time and also tip for that.

For Christmas, I give a little gift, sometimes cookies or something embroidered with "X's Farrier Service" or whatever. A Christmas tip seems weird because I am always willing to pay a premium year round and tip on top of that sometimes.

Bottom line is they will probably appreciate any thought, so be as generous to everyone you can..

Unfortunately with what my farrier charges per horse plus his 4 horse minimum to come out (not a big issue with the minimum I have 12 minis), I can't afford to tip him, but I do keep his preferred beverage on hand (red Gatorade).

I charge a low flat rate per horse.

I also charge a flat low rate per house call fee for my county

I also charge a out of county fee plus milage.

I dont give multi discounts (sorry)

and

I treat EVERY horse, naughty or good as if they where my own.

All animals recieve a tasty treat when done.

I know a lot of my clients cant aford to tip, and I would ever never treat them different then one who dose. I get told all the time my prices are awesome and that I am so good with their horses and best part, I show up!
default_smile.png

I love trimming even if my back dont. I call all my clients horses my horses as a lot of the animals have bonded with me over the yrs. Some nasty horses are such sweethearts now. I love how so many came from a long way of terriable scary hoofs to normal looking balance hoofs. I take a lot of pride in what I do and have tons of befores and afters to show off. Sometimes, some calls as far as they r dont really cover my fuel, but even over all the yrs, my prices never changed unlike all the other farriers in my area. My clients are super faithfull to me and my work and thats the most apperciated part for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good lord Jane, you really had me laughing.

I need to start tipping myself as hairdresser, housecleaner, secretary, accountant, groomer, farrier, tailor/clothier, chef, baker, dish-puter-upper, financial advisor, go-fer, landscaper, manure-mover, and general all around companion.

On a serious note, the people in the service industry (which most of us have probably done at some time) deserve courtesy, respect, and tips, but only if they deserve it by displaying courtesy, respect, and doing their best. The two I tip the most are waiter/waittresses and hotel maids.

Now I need to go tip my human/horse chiropractor.

Latest posts

Back