Farm names that sound alike but are spelled different

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuzE

Reaction score
I just found out by searching the studbooks that there is another farm with the same sounding prefix as mine but spelled different. I am just a small farm but we do breed a few mares each year and show AMHR. I am really bummed about this. I spent the $$ and registered my prefix and don't like the fact that another farm has the same sounding prefix. Mine has been reserved for 3 years now and they are new this year. I am just thinking about the what ifs...if this other farm gets a bad rap and through conversation someone says stay away that farm someone may think it is me. I am seriously thinking about changing my farm name but it is fustrating because of the history with this one. Am I being silly about this? Should I call the AMHA and AMHR and ask them? I didn't know if there was any rule on this matter. Would appreciate your imput and thoughts because it is really bugging me! Thanks in advance.

With AMHR, if it would sound the same when said aloud and is already a registered prefix (or suffix), it's not allowed to be used by another. I hope it's the same with AMHA. I own "Whinny For Me", and no one should be allowed to use "Whinny 4 Me."

With AMHR, I do also now own the suffix Perfection which I bought about a year ago. Not to keep it from others but to make sure it was available to me. I bought it after I realized I couldn't use the word Treasure at the end of a name... So now I have a horse named Fantasy Corrals Secret Treasure (AMHA) as well as Fantasy Corrals Secret Treasure Too (AMHR). Whatta PITA! I'd used Perfection at the end of a couple horses' names so far, and like to have it as an option going forward.

In order to have a prefix or a suffix reserved for your exclusive use, you must file with AMHA and/or AMHR (depending on what registries you work with) and pay a fee to make it your own (assuming no one else already has). It's doubtful anyone would even want to use my prefix, but OMG, if they did and I hadn't reserved it, I would be in knots emotionally over it. Might sound silly but it would really bother me. SO, I have reserved it with both AMHA and AMHR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I know for AMHA if it is spelled different then it is okay with them.

There is a farm that had been around for many years. 15+ and very influential. A couple years ago another farm came along and there is 1 letter difference. AMHA wouldn't make them change. I believe that they could be confused very easily. But you shouldn't have to change if you were first. Hopefully they will be good breeders and it won't hurt you any.

Yes, I do believe they can be, and it is a real shame, because as you say, you are paying for that name to use exclusively, and in my opinion, they should not only be looking at the spelling, but should also be considering the pronunciation of it before they OK it. There could be West Wind, Westwind, West Wynd and Westwynd, all sounding the same, and yet each would be allowed to be reserved, and that is just not right! :no:

Mona, I'm pretty sure they can't all be held at AMHR. When I found out about the snag with my Treasure's name (and know you've got a "Treasure Too" too!), I was told by AMHR, if they sound the same they cannot be used. I was wanting to spell it Trea$ure or something. It really ticked me off, but the silver lining was no one other than me should be able to use a sound alike of Whinny For Me with AMHR (???????).

Urgh... I think I have a head ache now! :eek:

This was a problem with AMHR--they were allowing sound alike names if the spelling or punctuation was a little different...think "ABC" and "A.B.C." or even "ABC's"--but I thought that last year that little problem was supposed to be "fixed". The excuse initially was that it is a computer glitch--the computer apparently runs on spelling, not on how the word sounds--but weren't we told that the issue was being looked at, and AMHR staff had been told to watch & if the name sounded like any other name they weren't to allow it?

Honestly, I don't know why this is such a difficult concept. Common sense should dictate...but of course, I forgot, common sense is an endangered species any more.

SuzE--it's really too bad if you have to change your farm name & prefix, for 2 reasons--first, you must have foals already registered with your existing prefix? and secondly, it now costs $200 for you to register a new prefix.

As for the new farm that registered the sound alike name--wouldn't you think that for their $200 they'd want a prefix that is unique? If I were looking for a prefix & saw that someone had already registered a name I had in mind, I really don't think I'd care to change a letter or two & then register that sound-alike name. I want a name that sounds like me only!

Thank you for all the responses...

Yes I did pay to register my prefix with both registries and it was before the price went up in AMHA!

I am not sure if the farm has their prefix registered but they do have three listed in AMHA...

I know I am just a small farm and probably will be no more than that but I was hoping to have a unique farm name!

I do have 3 years of foals registered and also have spent the money to put some AMHA only horses in R so they have my farm name too!

Not sure what to do...still early in my "mini raising" so if I am going to do something I would want to do it now!

Latest posts

Back