Fair Time!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I judge the floral division at our local fair. Been doing it for many years. Seems like less and less entries every year. I don't think the younger generation has time anymore....sad.

I judge the floral division at our local fair. Been doing it for many years. Seems like less and less entries every year. I don't think the younger generation has time anymore....sad.
We offered a youth section last year and it was very popular. This year the Garden Club is offering $25 to Best in open and also in youth. Having the youth section gave the division a huge boost!

We have been showing 'equines' (Welsh at first, then on to Shetlands and now minis) at our County Fair for 30 years. In the past I used to enter the culinary division (baking and cake decorating), photography, art and sewing. But with all the work with the horses, I have stopped doing the others. We look forward to the Fair every year.

I was Superintendent of Arts and Crafts at our Delaware State Fair for over 20 years and gave it up when I had a business at a resort in the summer.Before becoming a worker I entered cakes and pies any my hand painted china.After several years away I went back as assistant supt, but gave that up after being annoyed at the treatment of the volunteers.I also exhibited Minis for many years after working so hard to get Mini classes added.Now I just go and watch all the Minis with Knollac farm prefix in the ring.The Mini classes are some of the biggest classes in the Horse and Pony division at the fair,but we are excluded from many classes.like Obstacle driving. the Minis would kick butt in that class and I think show management knows it.Very political group who runs the equine division and it is so sad.I love our state fair-it just finished the end of July

We've participated with our county fair for 8 years now, through Bri's 4-H....She started out with horse and then after one year (because of politics) switched over to rabbits and poultry. I even jumped in (pardon the pun) and showed a rabbit in open classes. It's been a great experience and we ALL have learned a lot.

Because of 4-H, I decided to get my own egg laying chickens. And because Bri was required to raise animals for the fair's 4-H auction, we learned about raising

meat chickens and how to slaughter them. This year she raised a turkey for the first time.

This was her last year with 4-H because she graduated high school, but we both loved the fair experience so much we're going to do the open classes next year.

Day two of our Fair and I am bushed. Worked till 9:30 last night in the Antique section. Today I took my horse for the petting area.

Tomorrow we pick up our exhibits and there is a kiddie tractor pull and turtle race. I plan to take my little turtle and enter him.

Some of my exhibits did better than I expected and some worse. I'll know more how I did tomorrow after the placings are tabulated. Our Garden Club sponsors the Floriculture and we have worked hard the last couple of years to build it up. We had a really nice amount of entries this year! Really made a beautiful show. Hopefully this will inspire even more folks to enter next year.

Turtle came in second. There was a large turtle with long legs. Six or seven people used him to win in their age divisions. The concrete was uneven and my little guy had to navigate over a rough surface. He gave his all, but could not outrun Lightning. The children enjoyed seeing Turtle, however, as he was so tiny and the only Red Eared.

I'll attach a photo of the winning exhibit in our Floriculture section. We started a Youth section last year and it really paid off this year. Lots more flowers, arrangements, houseplants, and terrariums. I didn't take any pictures, but my friend, who entered this succulent, shared a photo. It is an antique bowl and pitcher, with the pitcher tilted and the succulents appearing to pour out into the bowl. Really stunning in person!

Next year we plan to add herbs. And another suggestion from visitors was to label the plants and even the variety, if known, so viewers will know what kind of plants will thrive in our area.

Betty's Win.jpg

I use to show my horses in the show jumping events at the Cecil County fair and just last year started in the halter classes there with my minis where they are up against big horses as well. Unfortunately halter is the only class they can go in there is nothing else. I tried suggesting doing driving or something else to make peoples trip worth wild then one class then maybe they would get more minis participating.

I have been looking around for other fairs to do going into next year. I signed up for the Delaware State Fair but was unable to attend due to a change in plans/dates for a vacation we were planning.

Congratulations Turtle!! You came in first in your size division! LOL

Marsha, that is a very unique and gorgeous entry. I particularly like the combination of fine leafed succulents with the birds on that very special pitcher! Let your friend know that if she ever wants to rid herslf of the pitcher with the pesky swallows, I'd be MORE than happy to acquire it from her. :)

Latest posts

Back