Face clipping?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylie

Reaction score
Hi all, just curious how you clip out the muzzle & eyelids?

Also what make-up do people use for that "slick shiny" look?

Thanks.

also, would love headshots describing this.
default_saludando.gif

To clip the muzzle just put the flat end of the clipper on the nose, the teeth facing up toward the face and go upward.

i found this website, i thought it was good. I can't answer any of the other questions, i have never clipped/ shown before (except for bridal path and muzzle) : p

http://www.southernheartranch.com/clip.html

to get the real shiney look your going to have to razor. by this i mean your going to have to get some very good shaving razor. some shaving cream or lots of soap and shave it until it's very smooth (be careful not to knick them). then when you put the "gunk" (baby oil gel, face highlighter or whatever you use) it will shine.

Kylie you d not necessarily have to razor..I dont and I still get the black shiney look. I use a #50 blade on all my showhorses muzzles and eyes. It takes a bit of practice and precision to get the blending right but it looks great. I personally dont like the totally razored "plastic" face look.

Here are a couple of my show kids. Both these horses were Res. Grand Champ in their Halter classes at Nationals last week groomed like this.

309345076.jpg

309345074.jpg

Both these pictures are on order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job! Miniaddiction!

We don't like to razor either and also use the 50 blade.

For the black makeup, we use black shoe polish (with the sponge applicator) and go over it with baby oil.

Helen i LOVE taht mare
default_wub.png
she is stunning i admired her much at nationals is she yours? Ps ditto on the black make up while i still have to use a bit to hide maxs lil white scar on his nose the flippin stuff goes everywhere!!! :DOH! i love the baby oil gel

I use a 50 blade as well. I use double K's for the body, however after i clip the face i go back in with my cordless Wahl Arco's which have an adjustable blade and i detail the face. I razed once, i think you can get the same affect with a 50 blade and baby oil gel and black face glo gell ..

I use both baby oil gel and face enhancer gel ..i like both. Normally i can put the face glo on and then apply a layer of baby oil gel there over.

Leeana

Helen,

What did you clip the rest of the horse with?(head, ears etc)

Very nice job, I want to attempt the #50 blade with my guys next season.

I don't razor either. Wish I had close up pics of their faces, but I don't. On my dark skinned horses, I use that blue hair gel stuff made for african american people (find it at walmart or whereever for cheap in a big tub). Shines them up nice. And then I use baby oil gel for my light skinned horses. Works great and they are both very inexpensive.
default_smile.png

Amy

It depends if they have pink skin on their face but I do the bulk of the head in a #10 , then under the head, throat and all over and in the ears in a #30 and then blend the #50 of the muzzle and eyes into the rest of it with a #30/#40.

I razor the muzzles and over the eyes for big shows, but use a 50 or 40 for local shows. If I was as good as Helen at clipping, I'd not need to razor ever! Helen, you're amazing at it!!
default_aktion033.gif
If I may be so rude, I notice you're a youth member. May I ask how old you are?

Aww sheesh guys
default_blush.png

Parmela, not rude at all... I am 17
Well, my goodness! You've got quite a career ahead of you with showing/training horses if that's what you choose to do!!! Of course, young adults like you usually aren't just good at one thing!! You can probably do whatever you want in life I'm sure!
default_yes.gif

Now THIS is how clipping should be done!!!!

I so detest the patent leather, dipped in plastic look. These two horses are proof that minis can be presented without razoring, and without the "scar tissue" look that goes with it.

Everyone certainly has the right to do what they wish, but I am just THRILLED to see two gorgeous horses so tastefully groomed, looking like [GASP!!] HORSES -- and winning!!

Kudos to you, Helen!

Thanks everyone!!

The pics help alot, thats wonderful.

Now im in Australia, so clipper brands are diff i guess, but i use Heineger Deltas for the body & need a reasonable cheap clipper for the face/legs etc.

Regards.

Lovely horses Helen, beautiful clip job. Congrats on your wins at Nationals, are you going to Easter show?

Kylie, I use Andis AGC 2 speed for my horses legs and faces, they are a reasonable price here, and the blades are really easy to change.

Thanks Cara. Yes I"ll most probably be there, not with any of my guys though, they are done for the season and ready to go home to their owners.
default_sad.png

Im supposed to be showing for Val, so I'll see you there?

Helen, yep im taking my filly and mare, Morgan is taking Phantom. We are going up on Sunday and stabling overnight. See you on Monday.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back