eye question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickey & Mouse

Reaction score
My little Mouse has a round tan colored spot on the white of his eye, it is perfectly round. I just thought that it was odd. Has anyone seen this before? His eye is always goopy, I clean it but it always seems to run. We have also been struggling with the poopy butt but that seems to be getting a bit better after elimating sugar and switching him to Buckeye Grow'n'Win.

Tammy

mouseeye.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My little Mouse has a round tan colored spot on the white of his eye, it is perfectly round. I just thought that it was odd. Has anyone seen this before? His eye is always goopy, I clean it but it always seems to run. We have also been struggling with the poopy butt but that seems to be getting a bit better after elimating sugar and switching him to Buckeye Grow'n'Win.

Tammy

Could be a sign of a chronic eye problem, but not usually, usually just an interesting oddity. Probably should be seen once by your Vet. At that time you can either have his nasolacrimal duct flushed or put an ointment in his eye for the teariness. Have his diarrhea assessed then also. If he's young then parasites are quite likely, but not the only choice.

Bottom line, one Vet trip would probably help with many problems and none of them should be too expensive.

Dr Taylor

Your boy's eye does not seem inflamed, red, or swollen. I was having trouble with one of my boys and ended up seeing an equine ophthamologist for the problem. He had injured his eye and I thought the swelling and watering were related to that. However, the injury was perfectly healed and the dr suspected simple allergies. Here are the products she recommended to me. My boy's eyes were swollen and red. Sometimes I had to give him banamine for the swelling. I've been using Opcon A whenever I see a little trouble and it's working great. The "A" products have antihistimines.

over the counter:

Crolom

Acular

Zaditor

Alomide

Vasocon-A

Opcon-A

Naphcom-A

Alocril

Patanol

Alamast

Perhaps one of them would help your boy's eyes. Don't know about the other problem, though.

Dr. Taylor,

I have had him vet checked a three times since I got this poor little man for free in November. He had cronic diarehha, severly underweight and was full of worms and could hardly walk on his rear legs. He has been gaining strength with his rear legs and I have him on a very strict barefoot trimming schedule which seems to help. The vet had him on Novotrim for a while and since then it has been trial and error for his bad tummy. I wormed him yesterday and then in 10 days I will start his probiotics again. It seems that the littlest bit of sugar upsets his system whether it be a carrot or hay with alfalfa. The buckeye however has really helped his weight and he is full of pee and vinegar, it is actually amazing that for such a sickly little guy he sure is spunky.

Anyways, any advice is always appreciated.

Tammy

It sounds like your guy was neglected before you got him and something you might not have checked re: the "poopy butt" is his salt intake. Its a bit of a shot in the dark but maybe worth checking out. If he has done with out many of the necessities of life he may be trying to satisfy his needs by over indulging in salt. I have seen more than one horse develop loose poop from too much salt so it is worth being aware of. Its an easy fix if he has a problem, just limit his access to his salt (don't eliminate it all together for more than a few days tho)and the runny poop will end (again if that IS the problem)

Sorry nothing to offer on the eye spot. It doesn't look like it is anything to be too concerned about in the pic tho.

Latest posts

Back