eye question in filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristi@berrett-ranch

Reaction score
Our little filly is 4 weeks old and seems to be doing good. I have noticed a change in her left eye though, at birth and up to about a few days ago the black pupil part was big with very little white edge that you could see. But now her left eye the white area around the black has increased, the right side stayed the same as it was. Her mother is a total white and the white area around her pupil has always been largely visible. Is this is a problem in the filly, could she be going blind?
default_no.gif

Thanks

217175_208581159173825_100000658261462_710305_797915_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure of what you are trying to say, but foals can have their eyes damaged just by being born, sometimes the cornea gets rubbed as they pass through the birth canal. I would call the Vet ASAP and have it looked at. Don't put anything in her eye that has a steriod in it, but you could put in some teramycin ointment or flush it with saline until your vet can come out. I try to put teramycin in at birth when I treat navels and pull the lashes up. It could just be rubbed from birth or could be lashes touching the eye, but better safe then sorry when dealing with the eyes. Get your VEt to take a look it is well worth the money.

Does her eye look cloudy? does it seem to irritate her?
It does look a little cloudy, just kinda dull looking. I am not sure about irritating her? To me she seems to sleep alot unless we are in the barn then she is up and active

Post a picture of it if you're able. I'm not getting a mind's picture of it from your description.

If it were irritated the foal would tear a lot and prefer to keep the eye closed.

Dr Taylor

Post a picture of it if you're able. I'm not getting a mind's picture of it from your description.

If it were irritated the foal would tear a lot and prefer to keep the eye closed.

Dr Taylor

Dr. Taylor, it is not tearing. I will take a picture this evening and post it.

Thanks

Picture isn't the clearest for me, but I don't see any problems. Little mucoid discharge, but that isn't a big deal.

Always a good idea to have your Vet look at it, but it looks more like a 'while you're here', rather than emergency.

Dr Taylor

I think what you are seeing as "white" getting bigger, is that she has a blue/partial blue eye and the blue is getting brighter, making it look whiter. At least that is what it looks like to me from the photo you posted. Can you get a couple more pics of it from different angles and taken outside to see the "true" coloring?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, from the pic all I see is a bright blue eye.....

Thanks for the replies!
default_wink.png
The vet finally made it out tonight and he said that it is due to her eye is turning blue. He said the other may or may not change. So glad it was nothing
default_aktion033.gif

Most of my foals are born with blue eyes and it is kind of hard to tell as they tend to have very little color showing as the pupil is so large. As they get older you see more of the iris showing and beautiful blue eye like your foal.

Latest posts

Back