Eye infection? Opinions/treatment

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new favorite med - at least in the last couple of years - is Vetericyn. It's safe, non caustic and good for almost everything. They do make an opthalmic gel which is a little easier to apply, but I've sprayed the regular Vetericyn liquid directly in their eyes with good results. (I've used it on myself and in my eyes as well and I don't do that with just anything!).

That said, a vet is your first/best recourse but the Vetericyn should not hurt anything in the meantime.

Jan
Yes ! Yes! My gelding gets a swollen eye once in a while. If I see redness, he gets the OpconA. If it's swollen he gets Vetericyn and is better within a few hours. Great stuff. If there is a little pus, I rinse with the water hose in case it is a grass awn, then use the Vetericyn and a dose of banamine for swelling. It's always been cleared up the next day. The fly mask helps, too.

I took him to an equine ophthamologist (sp?) a few years ago for a chronic swollen eye and the OpconA was the perscription, so I've used it ever since.

The Vetericyn sounds interesting--I have never seen that on the shelf here--I will have to look for it next time I'm in the store. Quite possibly though it's not available here.
default_sad.png

Can the eye gel be purchased over the counter or is it from the vet? The vetericyn sounds like great stuff. I think I will pick me up some too! That may have been me that thought about her giving the shots... In my hurry I probably misread something.

I buy it at our farm store. There is a squeeze bottle for eyes and another bottle for wounds. It is not cheap, but goes a long way and is wonderful.

I think it must also offer some pain relief, as the horses don't mind it at all and seem to feel more comfortable after. I've used it in the ears if I see fly damage also.

A tip to put in the eyes: I put a blob on my finger and try to get it into at least the bottom of the eye. Don't worry if it doesn't all get in the eye. Most horses won't tolerate working with their eyes so you have to be efficient.

I use the Vetericyn Eye Wash, just spray it in their eyes! Mine actually like it; they will stand there and let me spray away - must feel good to them. I also use the Eye Wash on wounds and it works very well. Vetericyn is a wonderful product. Expensive, but it works!
default_yes.gif
Also, it is safe for use around mouth, eyes, nose and ears so I don't have to worry when spraying it. I love this stuff and always have it on hand here...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not worth it to mess around with eyeballs. Our guy was injured on one eye; we had the field vet here within 12 hours. ...and after a couple days he went to the vet hospital on that vet's advice. Unfortunately, at that time we learned he had cataracts on the other (uninjured) eye. Now every time I watch him maneuver to find his water tub, I hold my breath; when he goes for a little buck and run, I worry. It's heart-breaking; I really would not mess around with an animal when dealing with eye problems.

Oh sorry, to be clear I was just refering to Minimor's penicillin injection advice. And it was only my opinion for what I do for my horses.

I used to be in the No Worries Club and learned a lot about Vetericyn from a company representative there. This product has been used and tested over and over. Yes, eye injuries should be looked at, but until then the Vetericyn is a best eye or wound wash. You can google their website and learn a lot from it. And actually all of the product is the same thing, just different labels because it would take a ton of money to go through the process of research and development to sell it a certain way with the labeling, this includes the one for human use. That's what they told me. The only differences is gel or liquid. I love the gel because it sticks. My gelding cut his leg yesterday, covered with mud and I cleaned it with vetericyn and because it causes the tissue to oxygenate (which causes faster healing and less chance of proud flesh) it really started bleeding and turned red. This morning I had trouble finding it. We use it in the house all the time.

Oh sorry, to be clear I was just refering to Minimor's penicillin injection advice. And it was only my opinion for what I do for my horses.

Minimor gave no advice about injecting penicillin! Please re-read my earlier post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I need to slow down, I meant; to blatantly USE injectable antibiotics; so sorry! I guess it takes two or more posts for me to reread mine. Any kind of antibiotic in gel or liquid form for applying or injecting without vet advice first has caused many problems with resistance from unnecessary overuse. Terramycin is good stuff, I use it, it is over the counter available, but...I went to the vet first every time my horses had an eye problem. Always minor problems, but one time one had scratched the eye and using Terramycin would have been a disaster my vet told me.

What the company told me about the Vetericyn, is all different kinds are the same stuff, just different strengths.

I used to be in the No Worries Club and learned a lot about Vetericyn from a company representative there. This product has been used and tested over and over. Yes, eye injuries should be looked at, but until then the Vetericyn is a best eye or wound wash. You can google their website and learn a lot from it. And actually all of the product is the same thing, just different labels because it would take a ton of money to go through the process of research and development to sell it a certain way with the labeling, this includes the one for human use. That's what they told me. The only differences is gel or liquid. I love the gel because it sticks. My gelding cut his leg yesterday, covered with mud and I cleaned it with vetericyn and because it causes the tissue to oxygenate (which causes faster healing and less chance of proud flesh) it really started bleeding and turned red. This morning I had trouble finding it. We use it in the house all the time.

Only enough difference for legality.

My Vetericyn Wound and Infection Treatment - Electrolyzed Water (96.247%)

Hypochlorous Acid (0.008%)

My Vetericyn Umbilical, Naval & Udder Gel - Electrolyzed Water (96.245%)

Hypochlorous Acid (0.010%)

All I know is that Wild Bill their sponsor representative said there was no real difference in effectiveness. It is recommended for the same usage no matter the bottle although some are more focused on certain ways of use. All of it is wonderful and unbeatable to use for anything you need to clean or heal.

Vetericyn is a must have around here. I haven't had the chance to use the eye gel but the spray works wonders. You can also use it with a variety of species and the vet clinic I work for has this stuff on hand. You can get it at local TSC.

Only enough difference for legality.

My Vetericyn Wound and Infection Treatment - Electrolyzed Water (96.247%)

Hypochlorous Acid (0.008%)

My Vetericyn Umbilical, Naval & Udder Gel - Electrolyzed Water (96.245%)

Hypochlorous Acid (0.010%)

All I know is that Wild Bill their sponsor representative said there was no real difference in effectiveness. It is recommended for the same usage no matter the bottle although some are more focused on certain ways of use. All of it is wonderful and unbeatable to use for anything you need to clean or heal.
oh yeah I 100% agree on same usage and such, it's all the same thing. Just different strengths. The Pink eye spray is 50% stronger than the wound spray. Eye wash, and eye gel is the same strength as the wound spray. Or that is what a company rep emailed me, when I'd emailed and asked. I've never asked about the umbilical gel.

Lol, oh well, it all works wonders. When I read the last journal article on that horrendous injury the little mare suffered and they used raw honey to help heal and keep it clean and moist, I was thinking about Vetericyn being used for that too. Raw honey does have great healing properties tho.

The vet did the exam, she started her on Neomycin and Polymyxin with Bacitracin. Getting that in the lower eyelid of a a very head shy horse is like rodeo 101...her vaccines and Coggins was interesting to! I feel like we are taking steps backwards again with trust issues. She was so good walKing up to us to allow the halter, no rearing, now good luck catching her, she reward....it's disheartenibg poor baby!

By the time you finish up the eye treatment, she'll be much better. All that handling will do her good. Don't be discouraged; just do what you have to and she'll figure out you're trying to help.

When applying the ointment, remember the eye HURTS. Do not push down when opening the lids, just roll them out. This is more easily done if your finger tips are farther away from the lashes.

Dr. Taylor

Latest posts

Back