Experiences with Blue Seal Feeds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for some opinions on Blue Seal Feed; as a whole. Do you think they make a quality grain?How do your horses do on it? Show horses?

Any Experiences with their pelleted feed "Hunter" or the Extruded feed "Vintage Versatility"?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
All my show horses are on Blue Seal right now. I used Hunter through the winter and my horses did fine on it. I had 1 who couldnt maintain her weight on it, but everyone else came out of winter looking great. I am feeding a few different Blue Seal products right now and am happy with how my horses look and feel. I've used Nutrena, Purina and Blue Seal in the past. I like Blue Seal better then Nutrena and am having just as much lucky with Blue Seal as I was with Purina.

Jen

I have used Blue Seal for years. I have tried others but the quality is good and the wide feed application options I have with Blue Seal.. I use the Hay Stretcher, the Vintage for ones I need weight on. The Contender and the Crimped Grain (oats).

I tried some local made crimped outs and they were dusty and dry. The Blue Seal oats are clean and chewy.

I mix all of these several feeds for different horses particular needs.

I also like the Dumor Mare N Foal but it is a sweet feed so this is only for the mares in foal and mixed not straight up. Mostly for flavor and some added protein.

Thanks!

Jen, what feeds are you experimenting with?

Years ago, I used their complete senior feed, Blue Seal Vintage Senior, and was happy with it. I switched because I decided I really wanted a senior feed with more protein since at that time, I was using complete feeds for most of their "hay".

I've used Blue Seal Demand for 15+ yrs. 16% protein, soy based. I've been using BS Vintage Senior for my herd of elders (22-26 y/o) which is a complete feed BUT, mine have pasture and fine, soft hay in winter. It is used primarily for the blend of nutrients specific to senior issues with digestion and joints, etc. Their Sunshine is a 30%, basically ration balancer and I do give this to the seniors 2-3X a week for the protein boost....in case.
default_biggrin.png
Their BP pellets are one of the better buys for this item, IMO.

My mares, stallions and foals have done very well on their feeds. Mares aren't fat at foaling, hold weight during nursing, the foals are born strong and straight, mature nicely and so on. In training they get the same feed, just a different amount. Their feeds are consistant and stabilized formulas.

Nutrition is a huge factor here. A healthy herd comes from within.

Last edited by a moderator:
We feed mostly Blue Seal feeds and are happy with them. Our nephew works for them as a nutritionist. He says they refuse quite a bit of grain from suppliers that do not meet thier standards for quality. When the refuse a carload of grain usually he says another feed company will buy it. I do not think he was telling us that as a sales pitch as we do not buy from him or the division he works for.

Sounds like everyone Ive talked to likes it. Great!

My feed store normally has Hunter and not Vintage Versatility, and I wonder if mine will get hot on oats, so I will try Hunter and see how I like it.

Jen, what feeds are you experimenting with?
Right now I am having a huge amount of luck with Carb Guard. I also have some on Charger and am having luck with that as well. I had my full size horse come home from a lease gone bad and he needed to put on a good amount of weight. He's been on Vintage Senior. The vet saw him today to do his teeth and I was told I can cut him back because it's put too much weight on him. I have never, ever gotten a bad bag of Blue Seal feed. I have gotten questionable bags from Nutrena and the last Purina bag I got was dripping on Molasses.

~Jen~

This is Sarah...

I work for Paris Farmes Union, a Blue Seal feed supplier. I absolutely love Versatility. Its sweet, rich, all together yummy looking. I’ve suggested it to many people and had no complaints! Their oats are very clean, along with the corns (never really see clean corn.) We have been feeding Blue Seal for over 10 years, no complaints from us!

What I like about Blue Seal Feeds, is that there formulas are fixed. If they don’t have enough ingredients they wont make the grain. I believe Purina doesn’t have fixed rations.

I also like the Performance LS. Very useful for horses under weight. Great for senior horses that have a hard time through the winters!

Back