Exercise Clip? In Cooler Weather...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcwallis

Reaction score
How do you clip your mini for the first clip when there are mild days but cool nights? I don't want to leave all the hair on because they sweat then don't dry by the time it gets cold at night.. We do our exercising after work about 4 - 5

I usually clip belly, flanks, neck for the first clip in late Feb or early March, weather permitting.

How do you exercise clip?

What do you consider cool nights? We are still getting down in the mid twenties (23 right now). I would love to do a trace clip of some kind but don't want to freeze my babies either.

What do you consider cool nights? We are still getting down in the mid twenties (23 right now). I would love to do a trace clip of some kind but don't want to freeze my babies either.
Upper 30s. I have blankets to put on them but I don't like to totaly make them naked the first clip of the season
default_smile.png

No reasoning behind it. I think it's just a "me" issue

I'm also having a hard time, the weather is just crazy here. Horses were sweating yesterday just after working freely in the round pen. I thought of doing a trace clip, then changed my mind, glad I did, now we have 30 mile an hour gusts from the North and temps in the 40's. I'm so confused. I did clip a couple of necks, but went no further. Next week is supposed to be better, and I can put the clipped horses in stalls in the indoor after clipping, and blanket at night, but the ones outside can't be blanketed becuase their buddies will take them off.
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif
Normally I would clip necks, chest and between the front legs to help to get the sweat off, but not this year, the weather is too unpredictable for me.

Since our barn is insulated and doesn't go below 32 I do a blanket clip.....head & neck, under belly and legs. So they are left with a big hairy blanket. This works very well for our situation. If it's 70 degrees out they dissipate heat easily but are still warm enough to work outside when it's 35 degrees and 20+ mph winds.

Since our barn is insulated and doesn't go below 32 I do a blanket clip.....head & neck, under belly and legs. So they are left with a big hairy blanket. This works very well for our situation. If it's 70 degrees out they dissipate heat easily but are still warm enough to work outside when it's 35 degrees and 20+ mph winds.
Thank you Charlotte... That's what I was looking for.l

I clip under belly between front and back legs under neck throat latch it was cold this am in the barn and no was shivering at all.

Latest posts

Back