Everyone else is asking...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humhill

Reaction score
What color do you call this?

She's a dark coppery chestnut and her mane and tail are almost white.

kisseslittle.GIF

She is an absolutely gorgeous Silver Bay. :D
default_wub.png
: :538:

Thank you! We love her!

So, how is she silver bay if she doesn't have the black points on her legs?

And, one more thing I don't understand, how can she have striped hooves if she doesn't have any socks (actually, they're close to solid white)? I thought they had to have white on their legs to be striped.

Very pretty silver bay color, her lower legs will not be black for a silver baby--more of a silver black color. And most silvers do have the stripe or lighter color hooves.

for my part, I see a faintly darker coloring to her legs. Silver bays don't necessarily have black or even very dark legs--they will be darker than the body color, but sometimes just barely darker.

As for the striped hoofs--those are a characteristic of the silver gene.

Very pretty mare!!

Thanks guys! We've been wondering what to call her....

Silver only affects black- lightening it.

Thus any black points- mane , tail, legs, are lightened.

So you wouldn't get black legs on a Silver Bay.

Not black, but you can have very dark:

Scarlet04_1_4x6.jpg

to very light:

Cloudy_02_4x6.jpg

and everything in between.

I have a yearling filly that is a really interesting silver bay--I've never seen one colored like her so I'm sure anxious to see what she sheds out like this spring. No pictures that show her current coloring!

Silver bays can have very dark - almost black legs...

Silver bay mare with silver bay pinto filly....

amybaby.jpg

Color her beautiful!! :new_shocked:
default_wub.png
: Actually, all the horses pictured here are gorgeous. The color is just a bonus.
default_yes.gif
:

Leia

Tag- if that mare has Sooty as well that alone is enough to affect the colour of the legs and make them appear darker.

A lot of Bays have sooty as well as Bay and it can and does affect the base colour.

I have a few theories about Silver + Sooty but they are only that so I am not ready to expand here- it would only confuse further what is already confused enough!!

I have had 3 silvers - and none of them had striping in their hooves. All three started with white hooves that turned dark over time (except for the one leg with white on coronary band).

Why is this a characteristic of silvers (to have striped hooves) if not all have them?

Silly question - not intended for flames.

my silver bay had prefect tiger striped hooves when she was younger, but now they are black. Kinda wish she had kept the stipes, but can u imagine polishing the stripes?
default_smile.png

shelley<><

Humhill, what a pretty colored silver bay
default_yes.gif
:

My silver bay(pictured in my avatar) is 2 this year and has striped feet. I was also wondering why her solid legs has striped feet, but was told it was because it had something to do with the silver factor. Her sire was a silver bay and had solid, dark feet...so, who knows if my filly will keep the stripes or "outgrow" them like some people mentioned as she gets older(kinda hope she does keep the stripes...it's pretty neat!).

~Jen~

Yup, I'm with everyone else, very lovely silver bay...

My silver bay colt has the striped feet as well, and I hope he keeps them, because i kind of like them. My silver bay shetland that I recently lost had solid black hooves so i was surprised to see Sparrows striped feet but I think they are neat looking so I hope they stay that way.

I have had 3 silvers - and none of them had striping in their hooves. All three started with white hooves that turned dark over time (except for the one leg with white on coronary band).
Why is this a characteristic of silvers (to have striped hooves) if not all have them?

Silly question - not intended for flames.

This is a great website to read about silvers/dapples and striped hooves.

http://www.horsecolor.com/dilutions/silver_dapple.htm

Latest posts

Back