Equine Herpes virus outbreak

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to thank every one for all the information received, as I'm on the east coast and this has not reached us yet. YET, being the important word. No I'm not in a panic, as someone involved in showing, breeding, 4-H, trail riding, etc. I like to keep up to date on subjects such as this. I was supposed to judge a ride this past Sunday that was cancelled, but so far 4-H hasn't cancelled their first show as there is not a threat, yet. Please keep posting, I just want want to know how this dreaded problem is moving towards us here in the east. Hopefully it can be stopped before it reaches this far.

Thank You All.

In some ways I'm a bit floored reading this topic. Neurological EHV-1 have been big news in the big horse world ever since the University of Findlay outbreak in Ohio in early 2003. I can't recall a year since when there haven't been racetrack, vet hospital, and private farm outbreaks and quarantines. This isn't even the first time EHV-1 has been in the news this year - prior to this outbreak there were neurological cases that resulted in quarantines in Ohio (Beulah Park), New Jersey (two farms in Monmouth County), New York (Cornell University), and Florida (Gulfstream Park).

For a comprehensive look at EHV-1 outbreaks in the US over the past decade check out a listing of EHV-1 articles on thehorse.com - The Horse EHV-1 Articles (you'll have to sign up for a free membership if you haven't already in order to view the articles).

Last edited by a moderator:
Lewella thank you for being a voice of reason. Just as I was saying we all need to take precautions all the time when you have an open herd be it from showing, trail riding, neighbors who do either or farrier and vet coming to your place along with buyers.

The first precaution would be to leave sick horses, or those that have been around infectious diseases at HOME and not haul them out to the public places. As someone mentioned, there is no emergency horse show and the trainer will just have to explain to his client that the place is quarantined and they wont be winning a ribbon that week.

We had someone haul a horse to a show one time that had strangles- we were to haul it home for the new owner. We refused and made them remove it from the show grounds immediately and had to go report it. It was a big mess and we were so worried about not only our horses, but the others there, coming down with this.

I see that there has been this virus in New Jersey two months ago and maybe other places in the east. We, over here in the west had not heard about this. Now we have infected horses spread all across the united states! it may not be a big deal to some of you, but to those of us who were not informed of these earlier out breaks, it is a big deal to us. If people had been more concerned about the earlier outbreaks maybe it could have been stopped there.

I will not stop being concerned about my horses and will not stop informing people of any info I feel could help them.

In some ways I'm a bit floored reading this topic. Neurological EHV-1 have been big news in the big horse world ever since the University of Findlay outbreak in Ohio in early 2003. I can't recall a year since when there haven't been racetrack, vet hospital, and private farm outbreaks and quarantines. This isn't even the first time EHV-1 has been in the news this year - prior to this outbreak there were neurological cases that resulted in quarantines in Ohio (Beulah Park), New Jersey (two farms in Monmouth County), New York (Cornell University), and Florida (Gulfstream Park).

For a comprehensive look at EHV-1 outbreaks in the US over the past decade check out a listing of EHV-1 articles on thehorse.com - The Horse EHV-1 Articles (you'll have to sign up for a free membership if you haven't already in order to view the articles).
My understanding is that this is a mutation/different strain and is considered to be potentially more fatal than other neuro rhinos have been.

Outbreaks will happen because the virus is like the Flu virus in people - it changes all the time. Here is a good article about EHV-1 - Article. Read the whole article but I think this part is important enough to quote here so no one misses it -

"EHV-1 is a virus that has been around for a long, long time in the US and Canada in most populations of horses. Horses normally get exposed to EHV-1 viruses early in life, get a bit of a respiratory infection, get over the disease and have no further problems.

Some horses become what is known as persistently infected with the rhinovirus. They become intermittent shedders of EHV-1. They harbor the virus in their respiratory tracts for years. Then during times of immune system stress, they will shed EHV-1 virus through nasal secretions, and then infect others. This is what keeps the EHV-1 virus going year after year, and causing repeated outbreak problems all over the continent."

In today's world there really is no excuse for not knowing where diseases are emerging, where quarantines are in effect, etc. TheHorse.com has awesome email newsletters that go out weekly with the latest information on what is going on all over the US and even the world.

Albahurst - virology has not yet determined if this is a different strain than past neurological outbreaks. The bulk of outbreaks in the past several years have been the same strain that caused the outbreak at Findlay in 2003.

Outbreaks will happen because the virus is like the Flu virus in people - it changes all the time. Here is a good article about EHV-1 - Article. Read the whole article but I think this part is important enough to quote here so no one misses it -

"EHV-1 is a virus that has been around for a long, long time in the US and Canada in most populations of horses. Horses normally get exposed to EHV-1 viruses early in life, get a bit of a respiratory infection, get over the disease and have no further problems.

Some horses become what is known as persistently infected with the rhinovirus. They become intermittent shedders of EHV-1. They harbor the virus in their respiratory tracts for years. Then during times of immune system stress, they will shed EHV-1 virus through nasal secretions, and then infect others. This is what keeps the EHV-1 virus going year after year, and causing repeated outbreak problems all over the continent."

In today's world there really is no excuse for not knowing where diseases are emerging, where quarantines are in effect, etc. TheHorse.com has awesome email newsletters that go out weekly with the latest information on what is going on all over the US and even the world.

Albahurst - virology has not yet determined if this is a different strain than past neurological outbreaks. The bulk of outbreaks in the past several years have been the same strain that caused the outbreak at Findlay in 2003.
Kudos to you for knowing it all and to not be bothered by this trivial information.

It seems that U.C. Davis felt there was a need to issue alerts and get the word out to as many people as possible and even felt is was warranted to be on the news. My local club felt it was important enough to cancel the local show. Sacramento county fair felt it was important enough to cancel all equine events. Ect..

Maybe you feel they are all overreacting too. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

For everyone that prefers to hear things first hand or after they hit the media, here is an interview with Al Dunning, a professional horseman for more than 50 years who is currently affected with this deadly outbreak. It speaks volumes that he is willing to speak up in this situation because he sees the need for people to take this seriously. A true professional and a very good horseman respected by many across the country.

http://blogs.equisea...-affected-barn/

Also, again want to add that while outbreaks do happen every year this is not a "common" problem, what we are seeing here is more severe and I would urge everyone to take note, be aware of the situation the circumstances surrounding decisions being made in each state, and ultimately the consequences of your individual actions for your horses and those belonging to others.

If you want information about interstate travel ect please contact your STATE VET and get factual information. Some states are imposing a 72 hour permit to ENTER the state for horses REMAINING in the state -check with your state vet to get the facts for your area

Great link Erin, thanks for that. I'm glad u keep me informed from the get go and I'm staying put period.

They are covering this outbreak on the evening news. At this point the vet they interviewed said they would recommend that EVERYONE just keep their horses home for the next 2 weeks. Elko NV is canceling their rodeo. They are recommending that any small show also cancel. If you can just stop the flow of horse gatherings for the next couple of weeks the it should be under control.

Great link Erin, thanks for that. I'm glad u keep me informed from the get go and I'm staying put period.
Here, too- I have had in depth conversations with two vets now and we are staying home for awhile. Kind of wrecks my show season, but my horses' health is most important.

However the year my horses got strangles I had not hauled anywhere and no other horses had stepped foot on my place, so I am assuming flies brought it in from another farm as I personally had not been anywhere either!
My minis haven't left the place in years, at the time the last horse to arrive came in 5 months or so before; so I was surprized when I got strangles on the place, but when I thought about it, the timing was about right for incubation timeframe and when my farrier had last been on the place (so its possible he brought it with him).

Well, I talked to my LOCAL VET who told me the same thing, this is a much more severe mutated strain. No one has the right to tell me or anyone else whether they should be concerned about their horses health, and the steps and information they should listen to or follow.

Yes, all equine events in this area and Winnemuca have been canceled, all of the vet clinics are only taking in er cases, they power washed the Horse Palace right behind us. Why? There was an exposed horse in attendance there where all the rest of us were with our horses. They are still waiting for results, and everyone who was there is concerned and inundating vets for information and swabs of nasal secretions for testing.

No panic here. I also am not an expensive breeding or showing facility, so forgive my ignorance that in other areas there are outbreaks fairly frequently of all these training facilities, show barns, race tracks or whatever where people just shrug it off.. There is a very real reason that our vets, and the NDOA, BLM, State Veterinarian, Rodeo/Quarter Horse/and other Equine Associations are concerned. Not spreading rumors, not panicking, but concerned. Information is the only way to keep on top of these things.

I worked for Arizona Animal Control, and the AG Dept. there, we had to deal with a lot of things that came over the border, and also the geographic occurrence of disease that do not affect other regions. Everyone stayed informed and concerned when necessary for outbreaks.

Kudos to all who are taking this seriously and asking the experts for opinions and advise. I love how some people are so quick to call people panicked when all we are doing is gathering as much information as we can, compiling it, and then being able to make an informed decision as to the health of our horses. We are called panicked because we have made decisions to keep our horses home and miss a show or two and to keep other horses away. We are called panicked because we share information we receive. Well guys, guess what? I guess I am panicked then
yes.gif
because I am choosing to keep my horses home and to close my ranch to any incoming horses for the next 3 to 4 weeks minimum and I am continually seeking any new information on this out-break and I will pass along any new information that I think may help my fellow horse lovers.

Thank you to Erin and the others who post information about this serious mutating virus.

I haven't read anything reputable saying this is any different from previous year's infections. This is the same ol EHV-1 neuro. It hits every year, with the same scare.

None of the lists I've read have said anything about state quarentines. Which states are quarentined? Remember, some states ALWAYS have a permit to enter.

Here is a story in Horse & Rider that is very interesting and informative about the EHV-1 breakout from an owners perspective and what they are doing to treat his horses.

I see Texas finally came.out of.the closet according to the.article I read and cancelled a show at Will Rogers. Nathan my reputable source is Erin who is currently working on this crap in a lab at CSU.

Latest posts

Back