Equine Herpes virus outbreak

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup it came through
yes.gif

I just now got an update that "10" horses were confirmed positive for the EHV-1 virus in California and many more being tested. It can take up to 72 hours to get results back is what I heard. So we (as a horse industry) have no clue of the extent of this outbreak and I have a feeling it is going to get worse before it gets better. I sure hope I am wrong on this though.

Okay big news. My veterinarian just called and canceled my appointments for dentals this Friday. They are canceling all except emergency appts. I am concerned since my girls were at the Expo here Saturday and both my vets said there has been exposure in this area, and to cancel any plans for the AMHA shows in Reno this month. So I sure don't think that is panic! It is extremely contagious, my horses have all had Rhino vaccine last month, it might offer a small percentage of protection for abortion and tempering severity, but it certainly isn't going to help much. They are also monitoring the severity of the cases since this is a virus that can mutate again I think is how he put it. The BLM here is also canceling all events in Nevada and Utah.

There HAS been confirmed cases and suspect cases in the Reno area.

I just read on craigslist that there was a confirmed case of EHV-1 in Golden Valley, NV this is what it says;

a confirmed case of thequineie EHV1 in reno at a barn in golden valley, a horse from this barn went to the show in lemmon valley last weekend, please keep a eye on your horses

To some people the show is more important than what can happen showing a sick horse. Ireferringring to any illness. As I have said before I knew a woman that took her horse with strangles to the Livestock Event Center 2 years ago for Rodeo flag team practice. Not only were we all there for the AMHA show but BudweiseriClydesdale'sales were there. There is a lotdamagemage coulduled have done because wase ws selfish and wanted to be on the flag team no matter what. Now I know that Strangles do comparepair to EHV-1. But, this is the way people are and this is how a lot of illness is spread not just in horses.

I copied the info about the show directly off of craigslist.

Last edited by a moderator:
NO!!! QH's, cutters, etc are NOT the only ones susceptible. They are just one of the most common, because of the traveling they do. Last year it was jumpers at HITS. Year before, TB's at the racetracks. It can affect ANY breed, any size, any horse, if they are exposed.

I also agree with SandyB. We are NOT risking even one horse and have canceled all show plans for the season.

Be safe, it's not worth a ribbon to lose a beloved horse or contribute to the spread of this virus.

Sandy

It's foolish for anyone to think that only cutting horses or facilities that can/do host cutting events are the only horses and facilities to avoid. Doesn't matter if your local showgrounds don't host cutting events--someone that attended a cutting horse competition last week might have a child that is riding her pony in a local 4-H show this weekend. All this past week the 4-H pony has been turned out with the cutting horses that were exposed to EHV-1 last week--4-H pony could now be contagious and thus the virus gets spread to a whole new group of horses.

It's foolish for anyone to think that only cutting horses or facilities that can/do host cutting events are the only horses and facilities to avoid. Doesn't matter if your local showgrounds don't host cutting events--someone that attended a cutting horse competition last week might have a child that is riding her pony in a local 4-H show this weekend. All this past week the 4-H pony has been turned out with the cutting horses that were exposed to EHV-1 last week--4-H pony could now be contagious and thus the virus gets spread to a whole new group of horses.
EXACTLY!!!!
aktion033.gif

Any and every horse is susceptible to EHV-1!! From the mini horse to the Clydesdale! From a backyard pet to a Grand Prix Dressage Horse. Leaving your horse at home and not allowing any outside horse to come on to your property and practicing bio-security measures is the best way to fight this awful virus for now. Maybe one day there will be a vaccine, but for now we have to do everything we can to stop this virus from wiping out more horses.

The anti-abortion EHV-1 vaccines do help prevent the neuro version. They aren't full protection but they do help.
I have to agree with Nathan....

We have 2 horses confirmed here at our vet clinic they were at the Ogden show. I talked to my vet as I have a show at the same Ogden show grounds in a couple of weeks. HE said that while the current vaccines are not "proven or labeled" to protect against this strain that vaccinating in the face of an outbreak is the only prudent thing to do. He felt that the modified live vaccine would be the best option for me although I have not yet made up my mind on the show and am not even sure if they will cancel it or not.

While this is scary I think what puts it into perspective for me is many many many horses die every year from Strangles and that can live outside a host for well for what seems like forever. Disinfect- take precautions and be alert while at a show or out on a trail ride or driving your mini down the road past other farms

At this point our vet clinic is open and they do have confirmed horses as well as a couple others waiting on results. They are not panicing but are answering many many calls. Horses were still coming in and out business as usual with isolation precautions no different then when they have a case of strangles at the clinic.

This panic being spread is not helping. As of this moment I have not yet heard of read of any state being "quarantined "

insterstate travel is still happening again folks this is not the only deadly diease - while scary and people should use common sense this is something we put our horses at risk for on a regular basis if they ever leave your farm or if you ever have anyone besides yourself come to your farm be it this or another virus or illness. All we can do is vaccinate to give the horses the best protection we have available even if it is not labled for it. Talk to our vets and do our best not to spread panic or misinformation

It should go without saying but if you are concerned about exposure then you should limit vet and farrier visits as well or practice isolation type of disinfection procedures before they come on your property.

I just found out about this yesterday. I have been away from the horse forums for the last few days, so didn't realize what was going on till the SHA (Sacramento Horsemen's Association) put out a Facebook notice about it. I was a bit nervous at first because I had the boys down there last week, but so far they are saying it isn't at the stables. Still it is scary. I was told that I can't take the boys down there for the next 2 weeks. They closed the facility to public horses, so no horse that is not stabled there is allowed on the property. Also they asked the boarders to keep their horses on the property and to stay off the trails for the next 2 weeks. The thing is, is 2 weeks long enough? I sure am leary about taking the boys down there.

I just watched a news report that had our stables on it!! It even showed their web page with the warning!! That was kind of exciting to me, I'm the webmaster for their web site.
default_biggrin.png
Yah, I shouldn't be thrilled about something like that, but it does show my work is being seen!
default_biggrin.png

I hope this passes soon though. I hope everyones horses stay safe!

Not panicking here, but one of our fields boarders both the road (horses do occasionally ride down) and the neighbor's property with horses on it. We have eight open mares/fillies on it, do think it would be wise to move them to the back fields for a while? None of our other fields boarder horse property, except way in the back that we don't use.

I'm in Texas.

The show I spoke of in my last post was just a local show. Where the horse from Golden Valley that has the virus or where he came in contact with it they didn't say. He then showed at a local english/western show. Now who knows how many horses and ponies are now exposed to this virus.

Here is the latest from the state of Texas:

"Currently there are no confirmed cases of Equine Herpesvirus (EHV-1) in Texas. The Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) has no plans to change entry requirements for equine animals or to cancel any equine events at the present time. There has been no indication of spread outside of horses that attended the National Cutting Horse Association's (NCHA) Western National Championships in Odgen, UT on April 30 - May 8, 2011.

For information regarding EHV-1, visit www.tahc.state.tx.us . Several useful links can also be accessed through our website. You can also keep up with EHV-1 information through our Facebook (www.facebook.com/TexasAHC) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/TAHC)sites.

Yvonne "Bonnie" Ramirez

Director of Public Information"

Current Herpes Update: As of last night, there were 10 confirmed cases in Northern California. The UC Davis lab is testing over 300 samples today, so the number may change dramatically by this evening. LBEMC veterinarian, Dr. Langdon Fielding, will be addressing the topic on the Channel 10 News tonight at 6:00. A number of barns in the area have initiated a self-imposed lockdown/quarantine for the next 14 days, which is a very prudent idea to help break the cycle of this virus.

This was taken from the Loomis Basin veterinary hospital.

It is the latest info they have.

I missed the 6:00 news of course.

Current Herpes Update: As of last night, there were 10 confirmed cases in Northern California. The UC Davis lab is testing over 300 samples today, so the number may change dramatically by this evening. LBEMC veterinarian, Dr. Langdon Fielding, will be addressing the topic on the Channel 10 News tonight at 6:00. A number of barns in the area have initiated a self-imposed lockdown/quarantine for the next 14 days, which is a very prudent idea to help break the cycle of this virus.

This was taken from the Loomis Basin veterinary hospital.

It is the latest info they have.

I missed the 6:00 news of course.

I watched it. My stable is one that is doing the self-imposed lock down. I can't take the boys there for the next 2 weeks. I was really happy to see our local news getting on top of this. Sometimes I think they overlook things like this and really shouldn't. Kudos for Channel 10!!
default_aktion033.gif

OH, I think, if I remember right they said there are confirmed cases in the Loomis area and one in the Sacramento area. They didn't say exactly where though. Kind of scary because I am in the Sacramento area and so is the stables I go to. So far the stables have not indicated they are infected. They are just trying to prevent being infected. So I think the boys are safe. Luckily I have no other horses around me. Closest horse is about a mile away. So as long as I don't take the boys anywhere I think I am safe, or at least I hope I am!!

The best thing anyone can do is give a rhino booster and hold off any unnecessary traveling. This will defintelly hurt show season for some.

Is it just me or do people say you are "panicking" because you are taking precautions? I am calm, I am informed, and I am being pro-active and doing my part to protect my horses and other peoples horses.

I am treating this as I would if there was a major outbreak of strangles, especially if there was some mutant strain of strangles floating around that seemed to mostly be internal strangles and that the mortality rate was high. I would stay home. Easy decision. Yes, several forms of Rhino have floated around for eons, I have had young horses get snotty noses and coughs, presumably Rhino, but horses do not die from respiratory forms of Rhino. They do die from the neurological form of Rhino.

The easiest way to nip this virus outbreak is to stay home for the next 3 weeks to month. It is highly unlikely "you" as an owner, exhibitor or trainer will die from not traveling or competing with your horses.
biggrin.gif

I also just heard from a friend, that some minis from Reno have tested positive for EHV-1 and that some others are being tested. Does anyone know about this?

I have to agree with Nathan....

We have 2 horses confirmed here at our vet clinic they were at the Ogden show. I talked to my vet as I have a show at the same Ogden show grounds in a couple of weeks. HE said that while the current vaccines are not "proven or labeled" to protect against this strain that vaccinating in the face of an outbreak is the only prudent thing to do. He felt that the modified live vaccine would be the best option for me although I have not yet made up my mind on the show and am not even sure if they will cancel it or not.

While this is scary I think what puts it into perspective for me is many many many horses die every year from Strangles and that can live outside a host for well for what seems like forever. Disinfect- take precautions and be alert while at a show or out on a trail ride or driving your mini down the road past other farms

At this point our vet clinic is open and they do have confirmed horses as well as a couple others waiting on results. They are not panicing but are answering many many calls. Horses were still coming in and out business as usual with isolation precautions no different then when they have a case of strangles at the clinic.

This panic being spread is not helping. As of this moment I have not yet heard of read of any state being "quarantined "

insterstate travel is still happening again folks this is not the only deadly diease - while scary and people should use common sense this is something we put our horses at risk for on a regular basis if they ever leave your farm or if you ever have anyone besides yourself come to your farm be it this or another virus or illness. All we can do is vaccinate to give the horses the best protection we have available even if it is not labled for it. Talk to our vets and do our best not to spread panic or misinformation

It should go without saying but if you are concerned about exposure then you should limit vet and farrier visits as well or practice isolation type of disinfection procedures before they come on your property.

There are counties in Colorado that are in quarantine and Colorado released a statement today about equines crossing in to their state. They must have a permit to enter and it has to be arranged by your veterinarian and contain a number and specific information.

May I ask, what do you feel is "panic"?

Often many states will impose a need for permits throughout the year for different illnesses and things vets need to check for so it is not that unusual. IMO those permits are pretty useless no different then a HC -in most cases a horse can shed whatever it has prior to anyone noticing any signs so while it has to be done to be legal it seems like a waste of time and money in the long run. That is JMO

What do I feel is panic??? Well simple I think (not directing this to you) passing on misinformation, posting 20 times aday different articles saying the same things- articles by vets- clinics or techs who do not even have any horses confirmed at their clinics-rumors spreading about who and how many have it and have been put down. I think we all need to remember while somewhat different now with many options and better vaccines.. this same type of panic arose with WNV as well- for both the disease itself and the vaccine.

The internet is a great thing and a great and quick way to share information. However it can equally share misinformation just as quickly.

Best thing anyone can do is discuss with their vet what they feel the best protacal is for their farm

precautions are a great thing and something we should all take ALL YEAR ROUND ALL THE TIME not just when there is news of an outbreak. If we did there would be far less outbreaks. Like I think Nathan said something like this happens every year with one disease or another - I am not ignoring it however I realize the risk is always there when a vet, farrier, potential buyer - friend who owns horses- comes to my farm or when I go to a feed store,a trail ride, drive a horse down the street, horse expo or visit a friends farm. If my neighbor does any of those things then my herd is considered an open herd and is at risk as well.

Best thing anyone can do is vaccinate all the time- boost now in the face of an outbreak ( I have heard this from every vet I have spoken to) and make sure to use common sense -disinfect at all times.

NORCAL miniature horse club has canceled the show in Red Bluff in June.

The Reno show was the same week as the Ogden show so it is unlikly any minis were affected by it unless the were more than one source. So far everything has been traced back to the Ogden show.

Latest posts

Back