Equine Herpes virus outbreak

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just heard on koaa news , that el paso county here in Co. has cancelled all equine events through the end of May. The next 3 shows at Co state fair grounds. Of course call first in case they were misinformed. Not that ,I would be going anywhere right now. The news also stated several counties in Co are quarantined. That's just what they said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't read anything reputable saying this is any different from previous year's infections. This is the same ol EHV-1 neuro. It hits every year, with the same scare.

None of the lists I've read have said anything about state quarentines. Which states are quarentined? Remember, some states ALWAYS have a permit to enter.

Well this actually goes both ways, I have yet to hear or read anything reputable proving that this is NOT a severe strain and clearly others working first hand in this situation agree. While not all information on what goes on behind the scenes will always be released to the general public, there is a protocol for how these outbreaks are handled, and it is typically to prevent pandemic. Everyone knows that EHV is widespread and that horses come down with it every year, but rarely have we ever seen this type of rapid response in such a widespread manner, and that is what all the extra precautions are all about.

I will state again, it is completely up to you whether you heed the advice given, I was under the impression that this is what informational forums are for. Actually I think this thread has been pretty good, no arguing haven't seen any reason for flame suits-this is information that can help you make and informed decision to protect your animals. I personally don't take it to heart if people on here do not want to take what I have to say seriously, I have a job to do and I continue to do it day in and day out to protect people and animals from dangerous and deadly infectious diseases. This is not my first rodeo so to speak, we deal with severe outbreaks of deadly infectious disease all over the world each year, and this situation is serious enough to have multiple reputable agencies working around the clock to increase awareness and maintain safety of horses in several states. These diseases are not easy to decode, if they were there would be no need for people like me. We would not have human or animal illness that was reason for concern if they were all simple organisms that we could inoculate the first time around. These are rapidly mutating complex encapsulated viruses that adapt to the environment and increase in strength with growing infections. Does anyone fully understand them, NO and I am not afraid to say that includes us researchers who dedicate our every moment to studying them in order to prevent situations like the one we see here. And yes we have profiled the current strain and will continue to do so with each new case.

As for quarantines, I am going to say it again.... please do not tell people there are no quarantines, if you don't know and vice versa. Local agencies have placed limited quarantines on specific counties and in some places individual areas. State agencies are announcing this information to their residents and they are doing a good gob, just as Brenda said they don't send emails or put it on the news if there is no quarantine so why argue with someone who has been told they are on a restriction first hand? As for Entry Permits, currently Colorado and Wyoming are enforcing mandatory 72hr permits to enter the states and no we do not always require a permit, only in times when state officials feel there is an eminent need.

Earlier in the week there were people stating this would not spread and denying it was a multi-state outbreak and now it has hit in their backyards, I don't understand the rational in denying the issue and see no harm in taking the information being given and storing it in the back of your head "just in case", but that is just me. Don't do anything rash or take drastic actions if you don't feel they are necessary because it is not in your area, (and I hope it doesn't make it there I really do), but what is the harm in allowing other people in currently affected areas to take the precautions being advised by local state authorities and their veterinarians? I guess I don't see the point in minimizing this when it is in fact a very serious problem in multiple areas right now.

Thanks for reading, take it or leave it its up to you that is what forums are all about right
default_biggrin.png
(unless you are in Colorado, then you better listen or Ill come after you myself and bring Carl with me-LOL)

California now has 13 confirmed cases.

I think this forum is a great place to come together and be supportive of each other in times of concern, happiness or sorrow. Mini people are sometimes spread out and don't always have someone really close who understands. Here we all have common interest in our little ones. We will fight like tigers to keep them safe. In the horse world and sometimes anywhere, we are sometimes considered the odd ones. Minis can sometimes get forgotten or ignored when talking horses. I am grateful for this site and am happy to know all of you. I don't always agree with everything said (who does) but I know we all have a common goal.

Keep safe

Here is the reply from the show manager to my concern about attending the Bluestem show in Lincoln Nebraska June 6th....Hi Lauralee

I talked to the Bluestem committee and they called the State Vet and this is his reponse.

Dr. Dennis Dudley the Nebraska State Vet just called me back. He said that the situation in Nebraska and all other states that he is aware of is stable. All of the horses that were in Utah at the cutting event where EHV1 was confirmed have been located and quarantined. The Nebraska horses that were there have been quarantined and are being vet inspected twice a day, so far they are all healthy.

Although he is not expecting to cancel any horse events or place any restrictions on horse transport he did say that I can call him next week and he will give me an update. With what he knows now all looks to be fine for our June show.

Will keep you posted.

Tracey

I am so grateful to all of you for keeping us informed on this thread, we here in Maryland have not YET been informed of any cases, but it could show up on our doorstep and it is good to keep updated. Thank You

Here is the report from the Kansas State vet...

FOR IMMEDIATE

RELEASE – May 19, 2011

NO REPORTS OF EQUINE VIRUS IN KANSAS

(TOPEKA) – Horse owners are expressing considerable concern about several recently confirmed cases of Equine Herpes Virus (EHV-1) in states across the U.S. The virus has resulted in the deaths of several horses and led to the cancellation of one major equine event and speculation about others.

Colorado currently has six confirmed cases of EHV-1. There are additional suspect cases in other states. For those horse owners planning on traveling to Colorado, the requirements for entry are a certificate of veterinary inspection, recorded temperature, current Coggins test and an entry permit.

Kansas Livestock Commissioner Bill Brown, a veterinarian, has received no reports of EHV-1 cases in Kansas. “We are closely monitoring the situation, and talking to other states in an effort to obtain the most current information”, said Brown.

One Kansas horse was at the Ogden, Utah, event where the virus is thought to have originated, but that particular horse did not return to Kansas. The animal is under quarantine outside of Lincoln, NE.

Brown said he and other Kansas Animal Health Department officials have no plans to force cancellation of any equine-related events at this time. This could change pending new developments or confirmation of EHV-1 in the state.

EHV-1 (19kb pdf) is not transmissible to humans. The contagious virus causes respiratory disease, neurologic disorders and death in the equine species. The most common way for the disease to spread is through direct horse- to-horse contact. Clinical symptoms include fever, nasal discharge and incoordination of the hind limbs.

Brown said horse owners should practice proper biosecurity procedures (61kb pdf) and contact their local veterinarian with any questions or concerns regarding the disease or transmission. Additional information of the disease is available at the Kansas State University Center for Veterinary Medicine website: http://www.vet.ksu.edu/ under “Public Health/Veterinary Alerts.”

For more information contact:

Dr. Bill Brown (785) 296-2326

Kansas Animal Health Department names Animal Disease Traceability Coordinator:

Well this actually goes both ways, I have yet to hear or read anything reputable proving that this is NOT a severe strain and clearly others working first hand in this situation agree. While not all information on what goes on behind the scenes will always be released to the general public, there is a protocol for how these outbreaks are handled, and it is typically to prevent pandemic. Everyone knows that EHV is widespread and that horses come down with it every year, but rarely have we ever seen this type of rapid response in such a widespread manner, and that is what all the extra precautions are all about.

I will state again, it is completely up to you whether you heed the advice given, I was under the impression that this is what informational forums are for. Actually I think this thread has been pretty good, no arguing haven't seen any reason for flame suits-this is information that can help you make and informed decision to protect your animals. I personally don't take it to heart if people on here do not want to take what I have to say seriously, I have a job to do and I continue to do it day in and day out to protect people and animals from dangerous and deadly infectious diseases. This is not my first rodeo so to speak, we deal with severe outbreaks of deadly infectious disease all over the world each year, and this situation is serious enough to have multiple reputable agencies working around the clock to increase awareness and maintain safety of horses in several states. These diseases are not easy to decode, if they were there would be no need for people like me. We would not have human or animal illness that was reason for concern if they were all simple organisms that we could inoculate the first time around. These are rapidly mutating complex encapsulated viruses that adapt to the environment and increase in strength with growing infections. Does anyone fully understand them, NO and I am not afraid to say that includes us researchers who dedicate our every moment to studying them in order to prevent situations like the one we see here. And yes we have profiled the current strain and will continue to do so with each new case.

As for quarantines, I am going to say it again.... please do not tell people there are no quarantines, if you don't know and vice versa. Local agencies have placed limited quarantines on specific counties and in some places individual areas. State agencies are announcing this information to their residents and they are doing a good gob, just as Brenda said they don't send emails or put it on the news if there is no quarantine so why argue with someone who has been told they are on a restriction first hand? As for Entry Permits, currently Colorado and Wyoming are enforcing mandatory 72hr permits to enter the states and no we do not always require a permit, only in times when state officials feel there is an eminent need.

Earlier in the week there were people stating this would not spread and denying it was a multi-state outbreak and now it has hit in their backyards, I don't understand the rational in denying the issue and see no harm in taking the information being given and storing it in the back of your head "just in case", but that is just me. Don't do anything rash or take drastic actions if you don't feel they are necessary because it is not in your area, (and I hope it doesn't make it there I really do), but what is the harm in allowing other people in currently affected areas to take the precautions being advised by local state authorities and their veterinarians? I guess I don't see the point in minimizing this when it is in fact a very serious problem in multiple areas right now.

Thanks for reading, take it or leave it its up to you that is what forums are all about right
default_biggrin.png
(unless you are in Colorado, then you better listen or Ill come after you myself and bring Carl with me-LOL)

We all are so lucky to have you Erin, who is elbow deep in the midst of this virus and in the know first hand. Thank you for keeping this California horse & mini owner informed with facts!!!

And to all you others out there who keep us updated, thank you! I hope your horses keep healthy and I bet they will since you are staying informed. My prayers go out to all the affected people but especially their horses.

This is good to know, I wonder if they care if we come.from Colorado
default_smile.png

Here is the reply from the show manager to my concern about attending the Bluestem show in Lincoln Nebraska June 6th....Hi Lauralee

I talked to the Bluestem committee and they called the State Vet and this is his reponse.

Dr. Dennis Dudley the Nebraska State Vet just called me back. He said that the situation in Nebraska and all other states that he is aware of is stable. All of the horses that were in Utah at the cutting event where EHV1 was confirmed have been located and quarantined. The Nebraska horses that were there have been quarantined and are being vet inspected twice a day, so far they are all healthy.

Although he is not expecting to cancel any horse events or place any restrictions on horse transport he did say that I can call him next week and he will give me an update. With what he knows now all looks to be fine for our June show.

Will keep you posted.

Tracey

From the Daily Oklahoman. May 20. but hysteria is not warranted as this horse probably traveled straight from the show in Utah to his home farm. If that is the case the the disease would be isolated on this one farm.

PLEASE SEE THE SECTION IN BELOW IN BOLD

Deadly horse virus approaches Oklahoma

A highly contagious, deadly horse virus is under investigation in a horse in Love County. The virus kills a high percentage of infected horses.

BY SONYA COLBERG Oklahoman 0

Published: May 20, 2011

An Oklahoma horse is being tested for a dangerous herpes virus that has killed horses in the West and Midwest and led to cancellation of horse events in Tulsa and other cities.

The horse with the suspected case of equine herpes virus-1, or EHV-1, is in Love County, said acting state veterinarian Michael Herrin. The herd of about 30 horses is under quarantine.

“This particular strain is an extremely aggressive strain,” Herrin said.

Herrin said when horses are exposed, many become ill and many die or are euthanized. Of 34 horses in nine states confirmed with the virus, at least seven have died or been euthanized.

“That number (34) is very conservative,” he said.

The Oklahoma horse was at the National Cutting Horse Association national championship show in Ogden, Utah, where the virus originated.

After becoming exposed at the Utah show between April 29 and May 8, several horses were found with the illness at a California show. The virus also has been identified in horses in Colorado, Washington, Idaho, Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas and western Canada.

In an attempt to stop the virus, all cutting horse association events have been canceled this weekend and future shows also could be canceled, according to a statement from the association’s president.

Tulsa show canceled

Tulsa canceled its May 14-28 cutting horse show as a precaution.

Oklahoma Quarter Horse Association President Jerry Burd said word spread that some horses that attended the Utah show likely would be at the Tulsa show.

“As a horse owner, it is scary with something like this going around,” Burd said. “It’s the buzz everywhere.”

Edmond equine veterinarian Mike Johnston said his office received about 20 calls in one day this week from horse owners concerned about the virus.

“If you haven’t been to the Ogden show, your horse’s exposure is nothing more than what you’ve had in the past,” he said.

He recommends that horse owners think hard about taking horses to cutting horse events right now, while team ropers, hunter-jumpers and other specialties are at no greater risk than usual.

Oklahoma has not imposed additional regulations on horses coming into the state, Herrin said.

Colorado has begun a permit system so horses moving into the state can be tracked. Colorado State University is restricting nonemergency visits by horses and camelids (alpacas, llamas, camels) to the veterinary teaching hospital in Fort Collins. Other states have begun adding notations to travel health certificates saying the horse did not attend the Utah show and was not exposed to horses that did.

Herrin said the decision on whether horse events should proceed is up to event and facility managers.

City show still planned

Burd said the Redbud Spectacular horse show still is scheduled in Oklahoma City for June 1-12, though extra precautions such as deep disinfecting of stalls will occur.

Herrin said this is the first time the virus has been a significant threat to Oklahoma horses.

The virus caused worry in 2006 in the East, where it caused havoc at horse racing tracks and training farms in New Jersey, Maryland, Kentucky, New York and Florida. This year, concern has spread rapidly over the Internet.

Read more: http://newsok.com/deadly-horse-virus-approaches-oklahoma/article/3569606#ixzz1MuvDymoQ

REFLECTIONS

a miniature horse farm, inc.

www.sunrae.com/reflections/

[email protected]

Actually I think this thread has been pretty good, no arguing haven't seen any reason for flame suits-this is information that can help you make and informed decision to protect your animals.
That has been true for the most part...
default_yes.gif

But you know, you can disagree with someone without the snippy "well, kudos to you" comments and insisting that they are wrong in what comes across (IMO) as a very sneering tone. Other outbreaks have happened - and no one shrugged them off then or is suggesting that you should be shrugging it off now. These outbreaks are always serious and quarantines happen and the warnings have ALWAYS gone out. If you lived in an area that was affected you would have heard more about it through vets and other horse people - and such things are always reported on all the horse news websites etc.

Thanks to those who are reporting updates and facts as opposed to the speculation and wild rumours that been flying around the horse community here... like the report that a certan facility was clsoing its doors for 2 months as 2 or 4 or 5 horses had died. It was not true in any way - and the same can be said for a lot of other stuff I have been told in the past few days. Caution and due care is great... panic is not. And there is a lot of OTT panic out there. For example - some of our riders at the therapeutic riding center have cancelled out for the rest of this session - because their parents heard from a "horseperson" that EHV-1 can be transmitted to humans...

default_no.gif

This is good to know, I wonder if they care if we come.from Colorado
default_smile.png
Nebraska has no restrictions on horses traveling to or from any state. I spoke directly with Dr. Dennis Hughes, Nebraska State Veterinarian, at the present time he anticipates no further restrictions but suggested I call him back next week just to make sure the situation had not changed. Here in Nebraska the exposed horses are all still healthy, because they were exposed they are in quarantine, not because they are sick or showing symptoms.

The Bluestem MHC AMHR and AMHA shows are June 3-4 and June 5. We will speak directly with Dr. Hughes again next week and update our exhibitors.

Jacki Loomis

Secretary / Treasurer

Bluestem MHC

That has been true for the most part...
default_yes.gif

But you know, you can disagree with someone without the snippy "well, kudos to you" comments and insisting that they are wrong in what comes across (IMO) as a very sneering tone.

I just want to make sure that everyone on here knows that I never intended for my posts to come across as sneering or snippy and that "kudos" comments never have and will not be coming from me. The information I have posted has been from first hand experinence that I felt would be beneficial to LB members.

Also a quick note, we are expecting an official notice from USDA sometime today which will include a more accurate case record and fatality count. At this point we have not been given notice of its posting but we were told early this am it should be released this afternoon...

Erin

I have not heard of too many false rumors. I can say, that I show all over the country and have not heard of any outbreaks lately, even though I just found out since this current EHV-1 outbreak, that there was a few horses in NJ (??) that tested positive for EHV-1 last month. The last time I remember hearing about this outbreak that closed racetracks and such was back in 06 or 07. I also know that several states are not current on their updates of affected tested positive horses. Arizona and California to name just a couple. I sure hope that the USDA notice that Erin mentioned will be accurate and informative.

As far as snippy comments, since no one is not hearing voices in these posts, I think its how you want to take the posts that makes you interpret the messages as snippy and "kudos to you". What is fact is that some people are posting their opinions about EHV-1, while others are people in a certain profession(s) that are able to give true, accurate information in regards to the most up to date EHV-1 status.

Thanks to those who are reporting updates and facts as opposed to the speculation and wild rumours that been flying around the horse community here... like the report that a certan facility was clsoing its doors for 2 months as 2 or 4 or 5 horses had died. It was not true in any way - and the same can be said for a lot of other stuff I have been told in the past few days. Caution and due care is great... panic is not. And there is a lot of OTT panic out there. For example - some of our riders at the therapeutic riding center have cancelled out for the rest of this session - because their parents heard from a "horseperson" that EHV-1 can be transmitted to humans...

default_no.gif
Do be sure that you get your information from a reliable source and don't be afraid to call your vet if you have questions. I work for a vet, and while the phone has been ringing off the hook (I had to laugh at the vet quoted in the article above - 20 calls a day, try 20 calls an hour!) we would much rather that our clients contacted the clinic for accurate information than passing on some of the wild rumours that were flying around. Even our local CBC news was broadcasting mis-information a few days ago!

I've been keeping up but out of town since I posted this last week....thanks epetrilli and others for all the good information! If we all use a little common sense, stay informed and stay home when we need to, maybe this thing will dry up and go away for the season... I am in south/central Texas, and there are shows here being cancelled this weekend as a precautionary measure.

Jan

I just want to make sure that everyone on here knows that I never intended for my posts to come across as sneering or snippy and that "kudos" comments never have and will not be coming from me. The information I have posted has been from first hand experinence that I felt would be beneficial to LB members.
epetrilli - your posts have been even and informative and you have said nothing wrong... but comments like this is response to someone who was apparently not as alarmed as she was supposed to be and merely expressing her thoughts and opinions ...

Kudos to you for knowing it all and to not be bothered by this trivial information.
... are uncalled for IMO. And definitely come across as snippy. We can discuss this without resorting to that - or so one would hope.
default_no.gif

Actually it is true, there have been other EHV-1 outbreaks this year, in Finger Lakes NY (that was November 2010 I think), Beulah Park near Columbus OH (Dec 2010/Jan 2011--that quarantine was lifted Feb. 8th)..Cornell Equine Hospital had a confirmed case the end of March and was put into voluntary quarantine at that time--not sure that quarantine has been lifted yet? Last I heard it was in place indefinitely but that could have changed by now.

So, EHV-1 is always around somewhere--and obviously closer than many may realize (for whomever said it hadn't yet reached the east coast, it actually was there earlier, you just didn't know about it). I have to wonder if this new outbreak is really more virulent, or is it just that it seems more scary because of the large number of horses that were exposed at that one show in Ogden--and then those horses went home to so many different parts of the country--it seemed like it spread all over the US so quickly--and with so many horses exposed there are bound to be higher numbers affected. In the Beaulah Park outbreak 3 horses died--not sure if any more died after I heard about those 3 or if they were the only 3; I never heard a total number of horses affected by that outbreak--but in one barn at the race track, 3 dead is more than enough (I believe racetracks get quarantined barn by barn, not the entire facility).

The neurological form of EHV-1 has been around for many years now--I first heard about it in the early days of Equus magazine when one of the case reports detailed the mysterious neurological symptoms that struck one breeders' herd of horses--testing ultimately proved that the illness and deaths were caused by EHV; as I recall that was the first known case of the neurological symptoms but I don't remember what year that was. Late 70's perhaps, or early 80's? I don't even know how long Equus magazine has been published, but I know that article was way back. From what that article described it was a very nasty strain of the virus then, but that particular case was confined to just the one property. Had one of those horses been at a competition somewhere with 1000 other horses, I suspect that it would have spread to all corners of the country with those horses when they returned to their homes in various states.

The neurological form of EHV-1 has been around for many years now--I first heard about it in the early days of Equus magazine when one of the case reports detailed the mysterious neurological symptoms that struck one breeders' herd of horses--testing ultimately proved that the illness and deaths were caused by EHV; as I recall that was the first known case of the neurological symptoms but I don't remember what year that was. Late 70's perhaps, or early 80's? I don't even know how long Equus magazine has been published, but I know that article was way back.
1978. I've been a subscriber since 1980 and still have almost all of my back issues and even managed to get those first two years....if I get a chance I will look it up.

Latest posts

Back