Empty Nest Syndrome, who else has no foals coming?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
This is so hard seeing all the pretty new foals! I'm really missing not breeding and playing with new babies, but it was beginning to be more of a chore than fun. When I had so many, it became all work, no play, no time for fussing the way I enjoy so downsizing and halting the breeding for now was the right thing for me. I'm hoping to get more into the training part which is what I love and having time again to fuss with scrunchies! Besides, that blasted Redneck colt is keeping me jumping and boy he's a hoot! But I sure do miss not having foals. Maybe someday again but not right now.

Anyone else?

No foal(s) this year for me, too. I'll be breeding Lex in May or June for a 2011 foal, though.

My oldest 'baby' is a 2 yr old this spring and she will continue to be the youngest here. Our market is so low people are giving away (pet quality of course) horses and so Joe public thinks they all aren't worth much. I got tired of hearing,"I can get one for free at so and sos , you want HOW much?" So since I won't give them away and the buyers willing to pay even low prices have been IMO unsuitable homes, I just stopped breeding. I have 13 horses here and that is enough to keep me busy. I have some old retirees who are just enjoying their well earned rest and several in the ready to train stage so I've got plenty to do. Last year I missed having foals more than this year. I seems to get easier. I too enjoy training and those babies can be pretty time consuming (and distracting lol)

My oldest 'baby' is a 2 yr old this spring and she will continue to be the youngest here. Our market is so low people are giving away (pet quality of course) horses and so Joe public thinks they all aren't worth much. I got tired of hearing,"I can get one for free at so and sos , you want HOW much?" So since I won't give them away and the buyers willing to pay even low prices have been IMO unsuitable homes, I just stopped breeding. I have 13 horses here and that is enough to keep me busy. I have some old retirees who are just enjoying their well earned rest and several in the ready to train stage so I've got plenty to do. Last year I missed having foals more than this year. I seems to get easier. I too enjoy training and those babies can be pretty time consuming (and distracting lol)
I am in the same position.My last foals were in 2007 and I REALLY miss the babies.I bred Minis for 20 years and decided I was tired of giving them away.I never made any money and it also got to be way too much work.I had almost 40 and am now down to 9 of my own and 2 boarders.I found good homes for my top bred horses and my name is still on the papers.I can't wait to see what they produce in 2011 for the new owners.I still have 3 more to place when the right person comes along.I gelded my homozygous blue eyed very well bred stallion so I am hoping for a new career for him with a new owner in the show ring.Some of the ones I kept are 3 Cushings mares all very senior horses 1 melanoma gelding and a few others.With all the joint issues for me and Significant Other and bad snow we had this winter I am so glad my numbers are down.I will go to the shows and drool and watch all the babies on here and drool more.Some times you have to do what is best for the animals and I felt that it was best for them to go to someone who could use them better than I could.I do miss the babies.

No babies for me either this year. Yes I do envy those having the little fuzz balls right now. But hopefully next year I will have 3 coming in the Spring, anyway that is what I am going to shut for. I have 3 yearlings that I plan on working with (hopefully to take in halter this year). So I guess I will just sit back and watch all of the foals being born to everyone else. Everyone is having BEAUTIFUL babies this year. Congratulations to all who are having those little balls of joy this year!!!

None for me this year and probably not again. After foaling out my two last year I realize that I feel very responsible for the lives I brought into the world. They could live for 30+ years, that is a lot of responsibility! I will love and enjoy my little babies from last year, who are a lot of fun. The experience was lovely and amazing and I can see how it would be addictive. I could not ever forgive myself if anything happened to any of my babies though. I am just not cut out to be a breeder.

Ditto! I got out of breeding last year and am VERY happy with that decision! I love my minis - they are family to me. It's too heartbreaking when something goes wrong.
default_no.gif
Nope - if I need a baby fix I can visit friends or watch marestare!

Liz R.

None for me this year. Have to say I'm not missing the worrying. I'll probably breed one for next year, but we'll see. I'll just go visit friends to have my baby fix.

Barbie

I'm in the same boat and can't complain! It was just not worth it for me. So stressful.... Oldest stallion is gelded, youngest stallion to go, Equipage sold, few young ones to place and enjoy time with my oldies and the big horses my oldest daughter has started showing. LOVE to see the pics of all the foals and that's good enough for me!!!!

Add me to the no babies, this year, group......

Zael is nearing 9 months old. She is a little thing

so I keep telling myself that it's still like having a baby.

We've had such an early spring that all the girls

are driving BabyZee crazy, already.

He got to go visiting, for the breeding season last

year so if we do anything this year, he's going go

"Is that ALL?"

Add me to the list also. The market is just so soft that I can go puchase very nice show prospect stock for what it would cost to raise them or sometimes less than what it costs.

Leaning more toward the AMHR/ASPC cross in the show horses so may very well sell most of my AMHA/AMHR mares and start looking for young AMHR/ASPC fillies (yrl/2 yr olds) that can show for a couple of years and then go into the breeding herd if I decide to start breeding a couple of years down the road.

our two youngest boys are 3 & 2, and waiting on the vet to be comfortable with gelding them.

altogether we are down to 13, which my husband still thinks is too many.

we got to generation 5 with our breeding program with the 3yr old.

thinking about offering a youth lease on two or three, would appreciate some feedback on how that works for others

No babies coming this year either. Kind of nice to since the market is soft.

No foals for me, I have never been into breeding anyway.

Nothing wrong with not bringing more horses into the world, anyway!

Usually when I buy, I want horses out of National Champion or National Grand Champion parents myself, so if I don't have that to breed, then I won't do it!

Andrea

No foals here either this year, and I am already missing it! I'm tempted to offer foaling out service just so I can get a foal fix!! Anyone want to send me a mare??
default_biggrin.png
I'll have to watch the foalcams and hope to catch at least one foaling.

Kim,

You can foal out a couple of my mares for me if you want to come get them and bring them back as soon as the foals arrive :)

Susan O.

Last edited by a moderator:
None for me either. I bred my two mares every other year, so 2010 wouldn't have been a foaling year, but 2009 was my last year for babes.

I do not miss it.

I don't miss the wondering if I should give them shots,

wondering if my dad can help watch while I'm at school,

worrying about missing the birth,

trying to teach 24 10-11 year olds with no sleep,

worrying if something will happen to my mares,

worrying if the foal will be healthy,

paying all the extra vet bills for preg checks and foals checks,

wondering how I'll ever ever be able to sell the foal I've been talking to in womb since I could feel it kick,

wondering if the buyers will truly keep in touch and love that horse like I do.

Nope--don't miss it.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
no babies for me this year - by choice - I decided taking a year poss two off to concentrate more on trying to get to shows and training a couple to drive but its hard - I love the baby phases and watching them grow up and learn...

but I get to come look here and a few friends that are having babies this year - coo a little and be excited for them right now I am not sure I'll bred anyone this year either but wait to 2011 for some 2012 babies...

its withdrawls.... but can learn to live with it and enjoy other aspects of my minis

Haven't had any new babies here for 4yrs. It just go to be way to stressful for me and decided to just enjoy those I have.

They are all getting near the 20's other than the two last foals so time for them to relax and do other things. Besides I was never good at letting them go. I always hated the idea of selling to someone and hearing they were sold again, and again. I have two that are missing in action somewhere. Lost touch and I always worry about them if they are ok and have nice homes. As this is me on a good day I don't need the added stress in my life.
default_ohnoes.jpg

I can come on here and see all the pretty and cute new foals and realize they aren't my responsibility and that is a good thing. Much happier this way.

None for me this year, nor next at this point. I really didn't have any last year, but did, had gotten a mare in foal, and that baby is all I need/want.

I love to show, and with the market, by the time you figure all the cost to have a baby, not to mention your time, I have found I can buy a show horse for about the same as it cost me to have one, and I don't lose sleep over it!!

I enjoy seeing everyone's babies, but never wish for one. I usually think, how beautiful, but better you than me.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back