Embarrassing habit that must be kicked

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mominis

Reaction score
As you guys know, we just bought our first mini and plan to show him in 2011. In order for us to afford to get all of the things that we need and keep him like a king (you know he's going to be spoiled rotten), I redid our budget last night. In so doing, I was looking for places to trim the budget and have made the decision to stop smoking.

I know it is a disgusting habit and I started smoking very young because I thought it was cool. I've been a dedicated smoker for over 20 years and I've never quit for a single day. I'm embarrassed to say that I average about two packs a day as does my husband. Between us, that is $20+/day in cigarettes, how stupid! And that is thinking merely from a financial standpoint, not withstanding the health issues that it causes. I can't believe how embarrassed I am to admit this on a forum, but my smoking habit is just out of hand. I did the math and when I realized how much we spent on such a stupid, filthy, and unhealthy habit, it really was a 'a-ha' moment, to quote Oprah.

I've set my quit date for February 1st. I'm trying to decide if I should go buy the patch or just quit cold turkey. If there are any other reformed smokers out there that can offer me some support or advice, I'd really appreciate hearing from you. Wish me luck!

Just wanted to wish you luck and say what good incentive to quit... More money to spend on the horse.

I have never smoked, so have absolutely no advice on that, but good for you for deciding to quit.

I quit cold turkey,11 years ago. I ate gummy worms and hard candy,if I got the urge. I also just kept myself very busy,anytime I wanted to smoke I did something. I would put a load of laundry in,sweep floor whatever to keep busy. I took it hour to hour, day by day. I said well i'v gone 3 hours, well it's been 2 days I can't pick up a cigarette now. I also told my husband if I quit the money I saved would easily pay for another horse,that's great motivation
default_biggrin.png
. You can do this!!! I wish you the best
default_saludando.gif

I quit on Thanksgiving day, 1987, a month after sitting and watching my Mom die of lung cancer. I had to do it cold turkey, there were no aids back then.

I would talk to the doctor and get help, the first two weeks are tough on your own. Every time I almost lost it, I just flashed back to losing my Mom.

If you have kids, just picture them doing the same thing.

Congrats on deciding to kick the habit, just keep in mind that it will get easier, but do get help!
default_saludando.gif

This past Wednesday (27th) was my 4 month anniversary. I smoked for about 45 years - up to 3 packs a day for the past year or so. Had never tried to quit because I didn't think it would ever happen. Was browsing the net one day and found a site that made it seem do-able even for me. I honestly didn't expect to quit (especially cold turkey) but here I sit without a cigarette for over 4 months - and with a savings of $1100.

This is the site that helped me. http://whyquit.com/

I wish you the very best of luck. As they say on the site - It isn't easy, but it is simple.

If you want to talk about it email or pm me.

Please quit!

Last summer, I was diagnosed with lung cancer. I've never been a smoker and haven't been around 2nd hand smoke since my parents quit cold turkey in 1980. But, it still happened to me and there are NO words to describe how scary it is. Luckily for me, it turned out to be nearly a 1 in a million type of lung cancer (another member here though did have it when she was a kid), and the surgeon removed the upper lobe of my left lung on 8/21/09. It was major surgery, but I should be okay and I did not have to have chemo or radiation. I go for my first "followup" CT scan in about 1mos (already scared).

I got to live through something most smokers do not, and typically once it is diagnosed, survival is not very long at all. It's a terrible experience for the person and their families. By quitting, you get to reduce your risks of going through it -- remember, most people don't make it out of this diagnosis alive especially when it's related to smoking.

There are a lot of aids now to help you quit, both over the counter and prescription. Use whatever it takes! I know it's not easy. After all this time, my parents still say it is the hardest thing they ever did, but also one of the best things they ever did.

Wishing you the best luck and resolve!!!

PS just telling us here you want to quit is a big step... we're going to be here to cheer you on, and you won't want to let us down
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Kudos to you for wanting to STOP! I quit on March 1, 1999 after smoking for approximately 25 years. I did not use the patch or anything...mine was more along the lines of "cold turkey", however, with more minimal effects. The way I quit, was a gradual decrease in nicotine. I smoked the strongest cigarettes they made, and when I decided I might like to try to quit, I started to reduce the amount of nicotine strength in the cigs I bought. I Went from regular, then to light. Smoked "light" for 2 weeks, then went to "extra light" for 2 weeks longer. Then went "ultra light" for 2 weeks, then finally to "ultra mild", the lightest cig they made. I told myself that if I wanted to smoke, it HAD to be these, and I was not allowed to tape holes in filters or break filters off. I was allowed to smoke these as long as I wanted. I probably smoked them for a couple of months before I was ready to quit. I was smoking less and less as the enjoyment really was no longer there when you feel like you're sucking on air, and it got to the point where smoking was becoming more frustrating than enjoyable, so I set me quit date for March 1, and stopped. I went for 2 days without so much as a drag, then my daughter was here and I commented on how good it smeeled and pretended to reach for her smoke. Se passed it to me, I had a drag, and was SOOOOOOOO mad at myself for doing that, and I was sure never to take another...EVER! (and so far, I havn't) Since I was getting only .2mg of nicotine in the cigs, it was FAAAAAR less than even the lowest patch, which was 7 mg, so it would not have made sense to go to a higher, more addictive nicotine level. By the time I quit, it was more habit to break than nicotine addiction, and I do believe that is what helped me through it in being successful.

The main thing however that helped me along, was knowing my Mom had quit smoking before me, after probably close to 50 years of smoking. She quit using the patch, and near the beginning of her smoking cessation, my brother died. She would talk about starting again to help her through it. I would beg her not to, telling her Rick would not have wanted her to start again. We got through that together, and she never did light up. I was sooooo proud of her that she made it through the most difficult thing that life can bring, without lighting up, that when I quit, and felt overwhelmed, and stressed to the point where I thought I needed to smoke, I would think of Mom, and her willpower, and told myself if she could make it through the death of her own son without lighting up, than I can make it through a bad day! It worked, and I have been smoke free since.

On the downside, over the years, I did pack on 60-70 lbs, and find it very stressful on my body. So keep that in mind while trying to break the habit. If possible, don't eat fattening foods when you feel the urge...eat celery sticks or carrots, or get up as someone earlier said, and keep busy until the urge subsides.

I wish you all the success in your quitting! GOOD LUCK!

Kudos to you for wanting to quit, now you have just got to do it!! DO NOT WAIT UNTIL FEBRUARY 1ST!!! The reason I say that is you have the will power now, do it. I use to smoke and quit when I was smoking a little over a pack a day, started when I was young too, it was cool. I quit when I was 23. My hubby had been in the service and we were stationed over seas the darn things were so cheap over there when I decided to quit they had just gone up to 1.25 a pack after we got home. I was down to my last one when I decided I did not want to go to the store and pay that, smoked and enjoyed my last one and have not had one since!! Cold turkey is the only way. Hang in there! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Congratulations on your decision to quit! I've never smoked but I do know how serious an addiction it is. Add me to the cheerleading squad!
default_488.gif
(That's quite a financial incentive!
default_new_shocked.gif
)

Jill, so glad you're doing well after your surgery. I just read something about radon being the most common cause of lung cancer in non-smokers. Have you heard that? I wasn't aware of that.

Wow guys, I'm overwhelmed! I am literally sitting here with tears in my eyes. I am so thankful for your support. Your stories were all so moving and inspiring! Jill, your story was amazing. I will have you in my prayers at night for your upcoming CT scan. Appylover, thanks for the link. I will be using every ounce of support I can generate to kick this thing.

I went up to Walgreen's this afternoon and purchased Nicoderm CQ. I am joining their support website and I have told all of my closest friends that I am quitting. I am determined to beat this. I will probably jump on this thread to let off steam as I go through this. I am so thankful for each and every one of you who are on my cheerleading squad.
default_biggrin.png

KUDDOS for making the decision, setting the date, etc.....

I quit smoking last March 24th and I did it cold turkey. The way I did it was to prepare myself mentally (like you've been doing), and then set the date. I made sure that I had smoked my last cigarette just before going to bed. I didn't want any cigs left around the next day!

Over the next few days I brushed my teeth a lot, drank lots of water and fruit juices, and chewed lots of sugarless gum. I also did what "CaseFamily" mentioned.....when I had an urge I did "busy work". I also worked on changing my "associations" with smoking, ie. no coffee or alchohol.......Chewing gum while driving...... I also found myself showering twice a day for a few, and washing ALL my clothes! (To get rid of the smell)

Is your husband planning on quitting with you? I hope so. Mine tried but pooped out on me. He's still smoking, but at least not in the house.

Let us know how Monday goes......and keep us informed! All the best to you!
default_saludando.gif

I quit in 1985. I had tried many times before before but never lasted for more than a day or two. What follows is what worked for me. There will be many other suggestions and success stories. This is only my story and what finally worked for me.

I had an anaephalectic shock reaction to a bee sting and was revived thanks to quick action by my husband.

The doctor told me that I would be on oxygen by age 60 if I continued smoking. My lungs filled and I had a heart murmur. He said that my blood pressure crashed faster due to being a smoker.

I quit that day, cold turkey. It was very hard and my chest was sore, like I was having a heart attack or something. The doctor said it was my lungs recovering that was causing the pain.

If you are under age 45 your lungs have a good chance to return to normal and healthy. After age 45 the lungs improve but likely won't return to normal.

The doctor said your body requires nicotine in a small quantity and your body naturally produces it.

If you smoke your body stops producing nicotine and it takes 3 days for your body to realize that you aren't going to give it some nicotine from the cigs. before it starts producing again.

So once you are past the 3 days it should get easier, as long as you don't tease yourself with nicotine in "stop smoking" products.

I had to stop doing all the things that triggered a cigarette. Sitting down for a tea/coffee after completing certain tasks for instance. I did a lot of walking and a lot of sleeping.

If you even take a puff you again tease your body and it stops the nicotine production and you have to start at "square one." I did find it helpful to get the odd "whiff" of smoke from someone walking along smoking and I eventually got to the point where I couldn't stand the smell at all.

It's difficult and you can only do it if you are strong willed i.m.h.o. The experts say that it is as hard as heroin to kick.

Wishing you sytrength and a strong will.....don't let any excuse drive you back to cigarettes because they are just socially unacceptable any more.

I really hope you can "beat them". Wishing you all the very best!

Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't anyone tell her, her way of quiting will not work.........this is not the time to put doubt in Mominis mind.

Any way you stop smoking is the right way...I haven't smoked for almost 4 year....did it cold turkey.....if you want to call the Dr. telling me I was going to lose my legs from PAD......my surgery did not work....and I lost my kidney due to the by- pass to my legs.....I did not start again...You can do this......its not quiting...its I HAVE NOT SMOKED TODAY.....and thoses DAYS WILL ADD UP. I found if I said I had quit...people kept asking me me about it....when I said I haven't smoked today there wasn.'t much more to talk about I am not going to wish you luck...I know if you truly want to do this it will happen. Will say a little prayer to help keep you strong!

My husband is on day 8. He was diagnosed with Buerger's Disease this month and the only treatment is NO nicotene of any kind. He is taking all the help he can get, through programs and the doctor. Everybody has to do it however it works.

Someone suggested Tictacs, and he has found those helpful. He's trying to rearrange his day so he doesn't have the regular routine. So, what happens? We get an historic ice storm with power outage, work is closed, he's home with me all day, he's struggling to keep fuel for the generator and wood for our stove on hand. Maybe this is a good thing, as it certainly changed his routine!, but it has sure added to the non smoking stress.

Best of luck to you! I don't think anyone who hasn't tried to quit can even imagine how hard it can be.

Good decision!
default_thumbup.gif
My husband was a die hard smoker for many years, had tried but never succeeded in quiting until he got a prescription for wellbutrin. He was able to walk away from it and never look back, only took a couple of weeks to completely quit. I was in shock LOL, never thought it would happen. Sounds like a lot of folks here have been able to quit cold turkey, so it really boils down to how motivated you are and whatever works for you personally. Good luck, will be cheering for you.

Jan

Good decision!
default_thumbup.gif
My husband was a die hard smoker for many years, had tried but never succeeded in quiting until he got a prescription for wellbutrin. He was able to walk away from it and never look back, only took a couple of weeks to completely quit. I was in shock LOL, never thought it would happen. Sounds like a lot of folks here have been able to quit cold turkey, so it really boils down to how motivated you are and whatever works for you personally. Good luck, will be cheering for you.Jan
I was up to 2 packs a day after smoking for 25 years.I was having major back problems and decided one thing I could do for better health was to quit smoking.I had 1 smoke on day one and NEVER again.I can't stand the smell now and didn't know how bad I STUNK until I quit. I just picked up a dirty ashtray every time I wanted a cigarette because that is how I thought smokers smell.It worked for me.Both my sons are heavy smokers and they call me the Smoker Police.1 son has major high blood pressure and other health problems-very overweight and I can't convince him to quit.Good luck-you can do it.If hubby quits with you it will be easier or ask him to go outside to smoke.Then you can get the smell out of your house and clothes.I do not permit smoking in my house and especially in my barn(that's a no brainer).I am so proud of you.I also read that everytime you want to smoke grab your mate, head for the sack and make some smoke in the bedroom-burns off some calories too.Keep us posted on your progress.Again good luck-you can do this.

If you are looking for ways to help with quitting...lots of people I know are trying the e-cigarettes, and so am I. They are an electronic cigarette and it seems to be working for them so far....and helping me....yes you still get nicotine from them, but no tar and over 350 less chemicals than your average cigarette. It looks like a plastic cig, it produces a water vapor that you can blow out that mimics smoking, it does not smell. You step down in the nicotine level...google them, there are many different makers. It is not a safe cigarette, but it is healthier than your average cig and can help. There is also the patches and nicatrol (by prescrip)...nicatrol is also a cartridge you suck on that mimics smoking, but there is also less chemicals and no tar, it does not produce the fake smoke like the electronic cigs. As for prescrips, I've heard Chantrix is the best, but it does have side-effects as do all meds. I have quit many times, quitting is not all that hard once you get through the first couple days...it's staying quit that is difficult. Longest I went is over 6 months. Check with your health insurance, lots of insurances now pay for the patches, as well as nicatrol and Chantrix...it will not pay for the e-cig though, but the cost is minimal compared to the cost of cigarettes today. Here is the brand I bought E-Cigs...since Friday I've been using them and I did steel 2 real cigs from a co-worker, so that's only 2 cigs 48 hrs, better but not quite quiting, but the e-cigs are helping tremendously...I haven't ripped anyone's head off yet. Good luck, it's very tough. Cold turkey does not work for me, I needed help everytime I quit....I use my high stress job as an excuse..lol.

I quit smoking September 1st, 2004 cold turkey and have never looked back. I also smoked for more than 20 years and was very worried about getting emphysema and ending up on O2 or laying in a hospital hooked to machines unable to breathe on my own. Those were the reasons I quit. I can tell you I have never felt better. That is truly the best thing I have ever done for myself. There is not one single thing about smoking that is good for you. I wish you all the luck in the world and you and your husband will have each other to lean on in those times of struggle.

My husband still smokes (probably more than ever) and I really wish he would quit, but it is a personal choice and I cannot force him to do anything.

YOU CAN DO THIS! YOU CAN!
default_smile.png
Just chant that to yourself whenever you feel like breaking down. For me, the first 3 weeks were h _ _ _ , but after those 3 weeks it seemed to get easier all the time.

Here is a suggestion: Chantax. It's a prescription. I watched my BIL stop in 2 weeks with this aide, he hasn't looked back since. The reason he chose it - he had a mild heart attack at 42. It seemed to stop all cravings and allow the brain to re-wire itself. Something to look into. Hope all goes well for you.

Latest posts

Back