Embarrassing habit that must be kicked

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grrr.....I had typed this long reply and then my computer glitched and I lost it. lol

Thanks for the support! I really do appreciate each and every one of your stories. Hubby and I are quitting together. He's going cold turkey and I'm going on Nicoderm. Tomorrow is the big day and I'm actually looking forward to it!

I'm not going to retype the whole post that I had before as I think the internet monster may eat it again. But I am jotting down all of your suggestions to carry with me in a notebook in my purse. I'm going to go grab a bunch of sugarless gum and I am going to do a lot of talking to myself (I know I can, I know I can....).

Saving the money on cigarettes will more than pay for our new boy's board and the overage is going into his bank account for the 2011 show season. Heck, I won't even have to struggle to buy his show tack if I just save the cigarette money for the year. Now THAT'S motivation! Thanks again guys, you are all wonderful!
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My smoking husband found this site.......He's joined......it's free!

http://www.becomeanex.org/

Thank you for your original post.......I think you were that one little extra "push". He's setting HIS DATE for quitting!!!

default_pray.gif
default_thumbup.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
default_488.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_risa8.gif

I've set my quit date for February 1st. I'm trying to decide if I should go buy the patch or just quit cold turkey. If there are any other reformed smokers out there that can offer me some support or advice, I'd really appreciate hearing from you. Wish me luck!

I am proud of you for making this decision! I wish you much luck in being able to quit smoking!

I just heard on the radio today that most insurance companies COVER meds and Dr visits to quit smoking now! If you are insured and are having a difficult time (or you find it more expensive to quit than to keep smoking) I'd go that route...the Dr may have some suggestions or meds that will help you!

Thanks again all! I'm hoping to be able to do this without the doctor and keep the costs down, but if I must go see him, I will. I AM KICKING THIS HABIT. When I wake up in the morning, I will offically be a non-smoker.

Miniv, three cheers for your hubby! If he gets crabby, just have him pop on the thread and quit along with my hubby and I! The more, the merrier!
default_biggrin.png

Morning guys! Well, day one of being a non-smoker and so far, I'm still alive. lol I had a craving when I got up and a nagging feeling I 'should' be doing something, but otherwise the patch seems to be doing it's work. Though I do feel a little itchy. However, the package warned that is one of the possible side efffects. It isn't bad, just barely noticing it. I'm not feeling particularly crabby or irritable. I'm even doing one of my anticipated 'trigger' things, and that is having my morning coffee. (It may be noon to you guys, but for we night workers, this IS morning. lol).

I put my first $6 in the horse's bank account. I know I would have picked up a pack on my way home from work last night, so I took the cigarette money and tossed it into his account. According to the Nicoderm calculator, in one year I will have saved over $5000.00. Funny, the most expensive and incredibly nice cart that I've seen was $5000.00. Maybe it's fate. lol

Miniv, tell your hubby that thus far, my research shows that quitting won't kill you on the first day...at least not yet. lol
default_laugh.png

Congrats Mimi - if you have a BIG jar that you can add $6 to for every pack you don't smoke it will be really cool to see it filling up! That would be pretty good motivation. I still need to lose 40 lbs and for some reason showing me the 40 lb pile of lard doesn't seem to have the same affect as a jar of money would LOL I have been in denial for my entire life about how much my weight problem is affecting my longterm health - after all I feel pretty good and the fat fills out my wrinkles --

No - in all honesty -- major KUDOS for you to go for it -- I know it is really hard, but we are rooting for you! I see a fancy new harness in your future in no time!

Stac

default_risa8.gif
Whoot Whoot!!!

Yes, I will tell Larry.
default_biggrin.png
I did tell him how you put your first $6 in a savings jar.......(Another incentive!)

How's YOUR hubby doing?

Glad to hear your following through on your quit.

One of the things I learned is that a "crave" doesn't last more than 3 minutes. Trust me.....no way I believed it until I timed one. I checked the clock, put my head down and just let myself flow with it. When it was over, sure enough it was less than 3 minutes. I was totally shocked because that crave is something that seemed to last forever.

Good luck. Hang in there. You CAN do this. Drink lots of cranberry juice for the first 3 days.....it helps flush toxins from your body.

Grrrrr.....again, the internet monster ate my long post.

So far so good. A few cravings last night at work, especially bad when smokers would walk by and I could smell it on them, but I just talked myself down. Hubby is also doing great on it. We have fussed at each other a couple of times, but quickly laughed it off as nicotine-related withciness. It's a nice bonding experience.

The horse fund has $30+ in it already. It's amazing. Stacy, you are so right! I'll have great tack because of this.

Appylover, the three minute craving is soooo true. That's really about all they last and they aren't nearly as bad as you'd think.

Miniv, tell your hubby two things for me, please. Number one, the patch rocks! The cravings are not at all bad and the only real issue is finding yourself mindlessly reaching for a pack of cigarettes that aren't there. And number two, tell him that the best thing that I did was telling people that I was quitting. It is like reverse peer pressure. I know my still-smoking buddies are thinking that I won't make it and I just love to have the chance to prove them wrong. lol

Thanks for the support guys. I like coming here and reporting my progress much better than I like the non-interactive Nicoderm support site. I know I have a cheering section here and I don't want to let you guys down. I'm so thankful to have you!

Hey guys! Welcome to day 3. I have good news and bad news to report. Last night, I had to work with a co-worker that fortunately I only have to deal with once each week. He is the type that just irritates me in general and working with him is a nightmare! We both have very strong personality types and they really, really clash. I knew I was working myself up all day long about having to work with him. I was in tears (figure that out) by the time I pulled up to work knowing that I'd have to deal with him. Suddenly, I became totally irrational, ripped off my patch and bought a pack of cigarettes. I smoked and I'm not proud of it. This morning, I found the reason for my irritability. I won't be specific, but the other girls on here know what I'm talking about **wink**. I re-quit this morning and so far I haven't had any trouble. I am embarrassed to admit I fell off the proverbial horse, but I am right back on today.

Do not beat yourself up start again. One tip for me was when I got really wanting one. I would pull out an overflowing nasty ashtray with nasty butts and stinky butts and sit there and look at it and say this is going in MY lungs...and really SMELL it...YUCK! Remember the failure is in not trying!

That e cig might be for you.

When I quit in 1987, I 'smoked' my Bic at work
default_smokesmile.gif
default_blush.png

Just keep in mind, the absolute worst is the first 48 hours, then two weeks, and so on. If you can get two weeks under your belt, you are golden.

Did you take all the money out of your jar? Think you need to start over with that as well. Donate it to the American Cancer Society, or local Lung Association, don't spend it yourself.

Don't let anybody have such power over you that you would do something damaging to your health in response. You are only hurting yourself, not him, so don't let the ba$tard get you!!
default_yes.gif

Never quit quiting...there will be setbacks...but we are all pulling for you..it's hard, very hard. You CAN do it! How is your hubby doing?

sfmini, you're right, I shouldn't have let him get to me. Frankly, I think I "used" it as an excuse subconciously. So, I quit again this morning. So far, so good. I even had to go to a bar today in one of the towns south of here that still allows smoking indoors to do a presentation and I had no trouble at all not smoking. The smell was there and so was the craving, but I kept it well in hand. I was actually quite proud of myself for that.
default_smile.png

You know, I may just try that e-cig. I was "smoking" a straw, lol. I thought I was a little silly for doing that, so I'm glad that you said you did the same with your pen.

No, I did not take the money out of my jar. Giving it to the American Cancer Society is a really good idea though. I'm going to really think about doing that. I have to add today's money to it. I was going to fine myself for somking last night and make myself pay in double for it.

Hubby did break last night when he saw me do it, but he was better about it than I. However, today I have stayed nicotine free and I noticed he sneaked out during my presentation. I have a good notion that he nipped out to smoke, but I'm not going to ask him about it. I'm going to let him tell me. lol I don't want to rake him over the coals about it because it has to be his decision to quit and not mine. If he wants to break and smoke, then I can't force him to not do it. As I've learned in life, the only person that you can actually control is yourself. I just keep repeating that. Anyway, he didn't force me last night or even give me a real hard time about the fact that I did break. However, he complimented me on pulling myself together today. The positive reinforcement from him was very helpful.

Thanks for being with me on this. It is a journey, but I'll get there in the end.

[SIZE=12pt]OMG that's great.... I commend you for your willingness to make the necessary changes towards a HEALTHIER way of life and to also be able to accomplish what you want with your beautiful NEW horse. You need to pat yourself on the back....[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back