Easy worming tip

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pooper scooper

Reaction score
As you may know I got 2 donkeys (see avatar) from Shawna and they are still stand offish. It has been so

cold I am giving them time. But I needed to worm them! I didn;t want to tramatize them so I wasn't sure

how to do it. Maybe you have all heard of this but it was news to me. I fed the donkeys a peice of bread

each morning for about 5 days on the 6th day I spred the wormer on the bread, folded it in half and fed it to them. Low and behold, my donkeys were wormed. :aktion033: Just thought I would pass along the tip in case

someone else had not heard of this method. Donna

:aktion033: oh boy what a great idea! :aktion033: i have a couple who are absolute BEASTS about being wormed... we have to put our big mule in the trailer to make her stay still enough and it's still a battle. i will sure try this, thank you so much for posting it!! :aktion033:

Do you know out of 10 donkeys the only one I have trouble with is my jack with worming, the jenny's all stand there and wait for their turn.........they love it!haha
default_yes.gif
:

Have any of you tried the apple flavor wormer? Mine all love it. They all come running up to get a bite of it when they see me coming with the syringes. Corinne

That is a good idea. Though so far I have been lucky.

Crinkle wrapper...then all of them are jossiling to get the candy..whopps..wormer first.

In time yours will be like that too.

That is a good idea! We feed our horses and donkey apple slices, and then between slices we worm them, quickly followed by an apple slice or two. Seems to work for us, but I will keep that bread idea in mind just in case.

chico

I have done this trick for a while and it never misses for me. I squirt the correct amount for each animal size(horse or donkey) on my index finger (like toothpaste). Then I reach over to hug them, slip my index finger in the side of the mouth (like a bit) and quickly wipe it on the back of the tongue. 1-2-3-done! They can't spit it out that far back and they like my finger taste. None of my guys ever bite around here so that is not a big deal here. No struggles. They do like the apple flavor too but even if not flavored, they never complain. This workes great on wiggly babies too!

My trick is to put just a small smear of Peanut Butter on a piece of whole wheat bread along with the wormer....(they usually get a half piece of bread with the dosage). They love it soooo much ...they get crazy for more
default_yes.gif
:

[SIZE=12pt]Lots of good ideas here! Thanks for sharing them. None of mine come running up when they see wormer, they run in the other direction...lol [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Thank you thank you! :aktion033: :cheeky-smiley-006: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Shannon
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back