I miss Valentines in school...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RainSong

Reaction score
Forget Highschool and Middleschool- those Valentines days were depressing.

Elementary school was were it was at! We all made boxes, everyone got cards (because we had to share with the whole class), everyone got candy (same thing), and all in all Valentines day was a bit chaotic and disrupted the whole schedule. But even the teachers loved it.

This Valentines day is going to be... just another day. Dave's off trucking till March 12th or so, Mother works, Brother has school, and I can't afford to get Nathan anything (but at least he doesn't know he should get something... yet LOL). I'd be happier if I could even manage to give people cards, maybe something small. I love giving stuff!!

Easter isn't the same either. Used to get Easter Baskets stuffed with candy and toys and little neat things (similiar to our Christmas Stocking tradition)... last year I didn't even get a Cadbury Creme Egg (I love those). But last Easter I did manage to at least get Nathan something small. I thank heavens he's nuts over Hot Wheels cars- he's easy to please right now.

I'll have to get him something Friday; he's not much into stuffed animals, but maybe we'll find something. I'll get him a bag of Twix minis, too. He adores them... and I admit, since I share each one with him, I'm pretty fond of them too! LOL

If this cold isn't sucking my energy tomorrow, I'll try to post his Christmas photos.
default_new_shocked.gif
SO CUTE

You're a young mom; time to get creative and start making memories for Nathan!

You don't need a bunch of money to have fun with your little boy.

Get out the paper and crayons and cut out some heart shapes and you and Nathan color them. Poke holes in them and using string hang them up all over the house and decorate it! Bake some cup cakes and decorate them with conversation hearts using food coloring in the icing. Dress Nathan up in something red; you too, and take some pictures. Play Nathans favorite song and make up some fun and easy dance steps to it. That will be "your song and your dance" for you and your son forever. Dan will be dancing with me on Valentines Day. Somethings they do not forget. Enjoy that beautiful baby every day to the fullest.
default_wub.png

I agree with Marty. Candy, cards, toys are outgrown, destroyed, and eaten way too fast. Memories are

forever. It doesn't have to be huge to be special. I treasure my memories from raising my daughter and

continue to make those memories with her today.

You're a young mom; time to get creative and start making memories for Nathan!

You don't need a bunch of money to have fun with your little boy.

Get out the paper and crayons and cut out some heart shapes and you and Nathan color them. Poke holes in them and using string hang them up all over the house and decorate it! Bake some cup cakes and decorate them with conversation hearts using food coloring in the icing. Dress Nathan up in something red; you too, and take some pictures. Play Nathans favorite song and make up some fun and easy dance steps to it. That will be "your song and your dance" for you and your son forever. Dan will be dancing with me on Valentines Day. Somethings they do not forget. Enjoy that beautiful baby every day to the fullest.
default_wub.png
LOL We already do little dances together
default_smile.png
All the time. When Nathan was little he watched his daddy, uncle, and mama all do dancing to the Dance Dance Revolution video game. Stomp stomp stomp- so now ... he dances like Snoopy to Linus's piano. He's a dancing fool- anything with a good beat
default_smile.png
I get out there sometimes and stomp and dance along- thank heavens he's learning there's more to dancing then just stomping!!

I do have some construction paper I'll have to try to find. Last time I gave out handmade cards, Dave thanked me... my mother just gave me a blank look.
default_sad.png
No decorating, sadly- between cats, dogs, and toddler (and unappreciative family) it'd cause more issues then not. However, the cupcakes are a good idea- though I may have to wait till tomorrow to get the stuff for it... kick my brother's hind-end to get him to go to the store (I can drive... just NOT ALONE!) like we were supposed to do yesterday.

Nathan has discovered a love for my gel pens.
default_new_shocked.gif
Maybe I'll do a few hearts to put in our room- just put them over his crib. OH! I know... do his name and tie them all together and hang them up... ^.^ He's such a sweetie ^.^ It'll just be us for most of the day, so I'll have to come up with something more.

Haha. Let him color a heart and give it to Grandma :p Bet she won't give him a blank stare
default_unsure.png

Marty is so right it doesnt take money to create a memory that says I Love You. That little guy has no expectations so it will be so easy to please him and his mama will find joy in the process I bet. Just time spent one on one playing a game or reading a book means so much when they are little.

It's all about love, right?

If you don't have red construction paper, use a paper sack then cut a white heart out of printer paper for contrast. I don't know how old your son is, but helping him to make a Valentine FOR someone really makes little ones feel good.

He's only 2, so at the moment there's not a huge push to really get him into stuff. Anything he made would be more "Mom Made" lol And his method of coloring is to very -lightly- press the pen/pencil/crayon down and wildly scribble... EVERYWHERE.

When he's a little older and actually a bit more aware of these things, we'll have a heck of time if I can do it. He is my lil Valentine, and even if it's merely a special dinner- we're going to have a small tradition.

I hate how all of my family's old traditions have pretty much died. Seems like no one cares anymore, and really, I miss them- and plan to revive them as best as I can.

I hate how all of my family's old traditions have pretty much died. Seems like no one cares anymore, and really, I miss them- and plan to revive them as best as I can.

I understand. It nearly happend here Christmas of 06. That's when

you make a stand and direct and remind your family of what is really

important. If they are not interested, you do it on your own with Nathan

and you carry on. I refuse to let tradition die

in my family.

I refuse to let tradition die

in my family.
Amen. Dave is starting to get the hang of the Christmas stocking tradition- I'll introduce the Easter basket one later. Eventually, I'll have one for Halloween and Valentines day, too. ^.^

Latest posts

Back