East coast here I come...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
I have not been back to see my father and step mom in 16 years. They live in West Chester, PA and my father is graduating summa cum laude with his Master's Degree in Physical Science.

His major has been Astronomy and Geology (calls himself a "rock star" ha ha). Since I am very proud of him and happy that he is enjoying his retirement from UPS of 30 years (retired now for several years though), I figured we would go back and see him get his degree.

Martin can't go and neither can my oldest as he has Jury Duty *sigh* but myself and the two little boys will be flying tomorrow out of Portland to Philadelphia. Brandon and Colton have never been on a plane before (unless you count Brandon in utero flying to Reno for Western Championship when I was seven months pregnant with him *LOL*) so this will be interesting. They both have Nintendo DS' that they have not been allowed to have (Colton's is new) so they should be well entertained.

My Dad has been privileged to work with some very great astronomers with world-renowned projects. Here is a photo of one thing he has been involved with, observing this part of the universe known as the W5 Star Formation region part of the Chandra project at Harvard University. His part of W5 is outlined, that part is known as AFGL 4029 and the area is well-known for being the birthplace of stars which is very exciting. I think it's just a beautiful picture, anyway.

spitzer-family-treeANN.jpg

Below is a link to the story about the project that my Dad and his professor as well as the Harvard team are working on:

Spitzer in Universe Today

That's about it for me, going to be a busy five or so days and lonnggggg flights.

Liz

Congrats to your dad. Enjoy your visit with him and your stepmom. Fly safe!!

Barbie

That is so great that you're going to share such a wonderful accomplishment with your Dad! I believe wholeheartedly in lifelong learning, and he is the perfect example.

Brandon and Colton will do great on the flight, I'm sure, and no doubt will have the flight attendants and other passengers charmed! (As if you didn't know...they are two of my absolute favorite people, young or old!)

Wow, congrats to your dad Liz! I hope the flight goes well, and travel is uneventful! You will be in my "backyard" almost! Give a holler if you have time to visit some wooly and muddy Minis!
default_smile.png

That is wonderful News about your father Liz! How Lucky he is, being part of that project!!

Have a safe trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, wonderful accomplishment and example of brainpower for a long life....I mean it's a "use it or lose it" situation and many do not have the ability to do so. I applaud him!

Now, 16 years is waaaay too long. Enjoy the trip and reunion. I know he will be happy to see you 3.

Welp, here we are, we survived the trip, the worst of which was the lost trek around SFO...we walked for an hour straight to get to our connecting flight, arriving five minutes before the last call/boarding time! Ugghhh not that we weren't glad for some exercise, but we were also hungry and thirsty and weary of TSA procedures...Colton took them quite literally and unpacked every littlest thing from his backpack, which is when I discovered that he was Brandon's "mule".

Everything heavy that BRandon wanted to bring with, he packed in Colton's backpack things like books and crayons, coloring paper and so on even his jacket! Hhhmmm....
default_rolleyes.gif

Kim, whereabouts do you live? We were in Strasburg/Amish country for a while today and yes, there may be some time to come look. I saw a few minis and ponies, and it's COLD out, but so far, it is dry and no snow.

My DAd and stepmom drive out every year sometimes a couple times a year, so we've SEEN them in that sixteen years, just not been here.

Monday night is the graduation! I will probably post pics.

default_smile.png

Liz

Glad you had a good trip - enjoy your time back east. Hope you can get a "mini" fix.

Barbie

Latest posts

Back