Please could you keep my Dad

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
I don't often ask for these, but luckily, I have not had much reason to.

I am fairly anxious over this. My Dad (and stepmom) is the only family I have left outside my husband and sons.

I am estranged from my sister and brother for reasons I won't go into, and my (in biological sense only) mother died in 1994, with my grandmother, my TRUE mother, following in 1995. The other side of my family (mom's side) does not communicate with us because of things my mother did to them, so you can see, we have a very small family.

Last Summer after my Dad got home from visiting here, he started having pains that he knew were kidney stones. Sure enough, they saw them on the ultrasound, but also discovered a cyst the size of an orange on his left kidney.

After much testing and scanning, etc., they've determined that it is very bad looking and needs to be removed. They called it renal carcinoma. The good news is that there appears to be no spreading, still contained to the original mass.

He is going to Fox-Chase Cancer Center on Saturday to have it removed in a laparoscopic surgery. Both the cyst and the kidney will go, leaving him with just the right kidney, which has been doing 60% of the work already, anyway.

He's also a diabetic (Type 2) and 63 years old. Luckily he is a very healthy diabetic with very few other problems, but it is still a factor.

I know anything can happen, but I have to think he will be fine and will have a long, healthy life after this is resolved.

I really admire my dad a lot, and though we had some tough times when I was a teenager, we have grown to have a good relationship and he's always here for me, my husband and sons, helping to make up for the fact that our family is, indeed, small.

Dad worked as a scale repair man prior to me being born, putting his college on hold so my mom could finish hers before they had kids. Well, she got pregnant (though they'd agreed to wait til she's graduated and had her teaching degree) and had to quit college, and he could not finish then, so he found a job with UPS, and worked for them for 30+ years, beginning as a delivery man and ending up as the computer systems manager for the Eastern Region. He was instrumental in helping to set up the tracking system UPS uses now (you know, the clipboards). He trained himself entirely in the language of computers, starting out with a TRS-80 computer in 1980. He's right now building me a new 64-bit AMD Athlon computer (he names them after stars and constellations...this old one I use is called Albireo, and the new one will be Pegasus). He does this for fun and excitement, but he still wondered what he'd do after work when he retired and he halfway dreaded it, thinking he would languish and get depressed.

Dad decided he'd go back to college and finish his degree, which had gotten put on hold when I was discovered to be on my way into the world. So he went to West Chester University and finished his degree in Earth Sciences and Astronomy after trying for a degree in Physics, which is another love of his. He's a very intelligent person, and on many levels, interesting to talk to. He is not one of those that knows a little bit about a lot of things, he knows a LOT about a LOT of things. With him in the car, we can usually know for certain what year a vehicle is, how many years it was made, what type of suspension it might have (his dad invented the tubeless tire!), or any other fun/trivia. Then, we can just as easily know the type of rock in the hillside, the age of the rock, where it originated, and where else in the world it might have been found. If it's nighttime, we can find objects in the sky, and he shares the scientific as well as the mythological history of these objects.

Dad's not a "people" person, but people like him in spite of his shy, reserved nature. He can even seem terse, as he gets kind of stressed in large crowds, but he's pretty much a pussycat with a heart of gold.

Dad's figured out he wants to continue on with his schooling and pursue Paleontology, perhaps help to explore areas that have been largely untouched, to discover the wonders of the creatures that inhabited this planet before us.

He was definitely NOT my role model as a teenager, or so I thought, but he's become one, and though I doubt I will ever aspire to such heights as he, on a career level, I feel like things are attainable that might not have been otherwise because of his hard work and perseverence. I hate to think that he would not have a chance to fully enjoy his retirement, since he did sacrifice so much so that we would have what we needed, even when we were living with my mother (even though she stole the child support money and told us he didn't send it, but that is another story).

As I'm writing this, I didn't know I would go on so much about the person my dad is, but maybe you understand why. If something goes wrong on Saturday and he does not do well, I will be very devastated and will likely not be able to be here as much, for I will need to find a way to be with my stepmom. I would be back there, now, but there are things happening here that I absolutely can't be out of town for. I feel horrible about it.

But if you can, think good thoughts or say a prayer if that's what you do...I still need my Daddy!

limosquint.jpg

(pic taken in 2002 w/my son Brandon, can even see a bit of resemblance, there?)

Liz M.

[SIZE=14pt]Liz, I will be praying for your dad. My dad also has only 1 kidney. The other stopped working and shrivled up in 1969. My youngest brother David was born with only one. Being also a type 2 diabetic I know how this can complicate kidney function as well. Gods blessing and healing to your dad and you.[/SIZE]

Lyn

My prayers and good thoughts will be with your father. I've heard Fox-Chase is a very state of the art center...I do believe there is one in PA too. I spoke to your father thru an e-mail a while ago with reference to the stars and the moon. He seems like a wonderful and warm person...even tho he is shy as you say...he was very friendly and informative. My best to you, him and your "little" family.

Liz, I will certainly keep your father and your family in my prayers. He sounds like an amazing person. I wish there were more people like him!

I'm still dealing with my MIL's husband's stuff. He FINALLY got a diagnosis of benign tumor after a lenghty biospy that took 2.5 hours (it was done at the hospital at the insistance of my MIL and the doctor thanked her profusely afterwards for insisting on it because it would have gone terribly wrong if he'd done it in his office as planned, it was only suppose to take 15 minutes!!!). It's benign, BUT it's already large and growing too fast and NEEDS to be removed, however where it's located (the side of his face, near his ear) it is very risky to remove (they are putting it off for a couple months while they try to figure out HOW to get it out
ohmy.gif
unsure.gif
). He possibly could end up losing the ability to smile, shrug his shoulders or have his jugular accidentally nicked, plus the general worry of it being a surgery and anything could go wrong. SO, until it's over, I will continue to worry about him. Although it's not a consuming worry like it was before we knew if it was cancerous.

So just know that I'll be praying for your father, as you did for my FIL. They will both be fine and go on to do all the things they were meant to in this world, sharing their knowledge and love with those around them.
yes.gif
wub.gif
We are both lucky to have been touched by such men. Jack has become the father that my own never got the chance to be.

Liz,

I hope your Dad's surgery goes well. I will say a prayer for him and keep you both in my thoughts.

Sandy

Liz,

I will keep good thoughts for your dad's surgery and recovery. I hope all goes well and that he is able to continue his amazing life. He truly sounds like a wonderful human being; you are very lucky to have him in your life.

Linda

Aww...the picture of your dad and Brandon just touches my heart...what a wonderful photo...

Of course I will keep your dad, you and your entire family in my thoughts and prayers...

Liz R.

Liz,

I'll be thinking of your Dad, you, and all of your family between now and Saturday, and wishing the absolute best.

I have no doubt what a wonderful man your Dad is, as I know what a wonderful daughter he raised!

Take care,

susanne

Sending prayers for your Dad....

Love that picture...I do see the resemblance.

nootka said:
  But if you can, think good thoughts or say a prayer if that's what you do...I still need my Daddy!

Liz M.

510578[/snapback]

Hugs and prayers to you, your family and your dad. I hope he is better soon. Being a diabetic (type 1 - insulin dependent) for almost 16 years, I know how tough that disease is.

Denise

Silversong Farm

Liz,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your dad this weekend.....

No family doesn't have it's "wierdness" to it. I think most of us could write our own books. LOL. What's important is the love bond that you have for your dad and the mom who you call "mom".

I think you should cut and paste your post here and have it printed up and give it to your dad tomorrow night (Friday). Something tells me that it would be one of the best presents he's ever received.

Blessings,

MA

What an awesome man your dad is! I'm sending my prayers to him and to you too Liz. My thoughts are with you now.

Liz,

You have no idea how this story has touched me personally. I will keep your dad in my prayers on Saturday and hope all goes well and he recovers quickly. And yes, without a doubt, a girl needs her daddy and there is no way to truly know how much until they are no longer here.
sad.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Liz, I am sending all the best thoughts & prayers I can think of to your Dad and your family, he sounds like a very kind soul and the kind of Dad everyone would love to claim for their own. I have a very special bond with my Dad, so I can imagine what you are going through, I was the same way when my Dad had to have a quadruple bypass a few years back. I still say "thanks" everyday that my Dad is with us, because like you Dad, my Dad will do anything he can to help his kids out.

All the best & here's hoping for a speedy recovery!!
yes.gif

My heart and prayers go out to you, your Dad and your whole family. I'd like to say more, but I'm too choked up at the moment. Bless your heart, Liz.

Thanks, everyone, for thinking about my dad. I was thinking just maybe he'd like to see this, even though he is a private person, he also understands there is a huge value in a network of friends one has acquired, quite probably because our family is indeed so small, and to be able to count on them for any measure of support is not a small thing!

smile.gif

I'll post an update as soon as I know. At least I am first on the list of calls once he's out of surgery. Any surgery is risky, and I do know he's in good hands. He is in PA, that is the Fox Chase I am referring to.

I do appreciate your taking the time to read this and I know many of you have been through similar things, also I know Debra you lost your dad about this time last year...?

It's hard to think that we have to lose those we love so much. Seems so unfair!

It's also kind of difficult to talk about it much with the family here as I don't want to get anyone worked up, nor do I really want to get overly concerned about it, as I have a fairly good feeling it will be ok, but there is always the worry that nibbles away....

My dad's the kind of person that does not particularly like any kind of attention or accolades. When he gives, he is usually very quiet about it, and always prefers anonymity where possible. Guess I'm hoping he gets some really good luck here, as he's very deserving.

Thank you again, for sharing with me your experiences and the gift of your thoughts and prayers, the time you spent thinking of me, my family and my dad.

Liz M.

Liz,

I am keeping your dad in my thoughts and prayers and adding a little one for you also. Please keep us posted ok?

Latest posts

Back