Early foaling signs ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Track Acres

Reaction score
Hello

I am fairly new to the forum. I have read much but not posted. I have a mini mare that is due to foal July 18th. This is her first foal. I have rechecked dates and there can be no mistake when she is due. Her name is Trixie. She has however already made a bag. Trixie is about 31 inches and the stallion was 31.5. I want to give as much info as I can because the more I can relate the better and more accurate the answers might be.

There is no way she was exposed earlier then the dates I wrote down on my calendar. She is not dripping milk but the milk sack is much larger than

it should be for still having 10 + weeks to go. Has anyone else ever had a mare bag up so early ? I am pretty concerned. Trixie does not seem to be in any distress. This is not my first foal to be born here but I have only had 2 minis to be born . Does a mature milk sac mean an earlier foal ? Any help any one can give me would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you using to calculate her due date? 340 days? 330 days? How many days? minis can have viable foals at 300 days. She might be right on track if she's one to normally go closer to 300 than 340.

Using August 30 as her last breeding date, your mare is at 244 days gestation today. That is way too early to be bagging up normally and I would suspect placentitis. You need to contact your vet and discuss this with him/her and if he/she feels that is the case, treatment needs to be started immediately in order to save the foal. I hope all turns out well and your mare carries to term. Good luck!

Yes, please join us on the Mare/Foal forum. We'd love to watch with you!

Hello

We just off the phone with the vet. He wants me to check if there is actual milk or just puffed up. The teats are not defined, however when she walks it is quite puffed up in the back. He seems to think its hormonal. ? He ask if she ran with a mare and foal and we said yes but the foal is a year old. I will try to figure out the mare and foal forum, I would love to come over there. I am very excited about this foal as it will be an appy as my stallion is homoz. Trixie is appy also , but does carry the frame gene. She is cute with one blue eye and one brown eye. I want to thank everyone who replied to this, I have been worried out of my gourd about little Trixie. I will update as things go.

Carole

You can join us by clicking the link Renee gave you...... http://www.miniature...hp?&showforum=6

or go to the top of this page, up on the right there are the words "view new content" and to the right of that a magnifying glass.

Click on the magnifying glass and it will bring up the list of different forums here on LB.

We're the 5th one down from the top: MareStarers/Barn Cam Watchers Chat Board

Just click on our name and you'll be with us!!! Don't forget to start a new thread, and let us welcome you and Trixie!!

Latest posts

Back