Earliest a mare can foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedMeadows

Reaction score
I have a mare that is bagging up pretty good and a huge belly. She is 283 days today and that is the furthest along that she can possibly be. Here are some pictures taken of her yesterday. She is about 28" tall and has had 2 foals already.

jewelside041210.jpg

jewelrump041210.jpg

jewelbag041210.jpg

IMO anything before day 300 is risky.

I will say though her nipples are not pointing to the ground yet so I think you still have some time

I think the smaller mares look huge just because they are so small.

Sending good thoughts to you!

Kay

If that was my mare, I would want to try to slow her down. I'd be putting her on Regumate and SMZ's. Banamine too for 2 - 3 days.

From her udder, she looks pretty close. As in just a few days. If you can prolong her gestation, it could certainly mean a better outcome for the foal.

Wow Rhonda!
default_new_shocked.gif
I hope she holds off!

Try to do as Becky says if you can
default_yes.gif

My mare Goldie herself was born at 292 days and reached around and was trying to nurse before she was all the way out of the mare (being born) I've had foals born from 292-296 days that were bouncing healthy and didn't need any special care.

But I've heard many do. I think it depends. I know of someones colt born at 280 that with a ton of care lived!

I pray your lil mare holds out!!!

Thank you Kay, Becky and Robin. I have a call into my vet friend to come out and check her over. I have a mare and foal under the camera still so I am doing fencing this afternoon so I can get them out of the foaling stall. Wish us luck!! When I put my stud out with my mares in July I never expected foals in march and april. Sheesh!!
default_rolleyes.gif

I just walked into my barn last Friday and found a new baby that I was NOT expecting until April24th at the earliest. From my best calculations this foal was about 290 days gestation. The baby was up, totally dry and nursing just fine. There was NO evidence that she was premature. But even so I hope she holds off for you a little longer. Tiny mares do seem to deliver a little earlier than is considered average for minis. This was my 12 year old, 29 inch mare.

Best of luck to you. Please keep us informed.

I sure would prefer the foal to be over 300 days gestation but they can, and do, survive earlier. I have Mira, born at 283 or 284 (can't remember off the top of my head) and she required hospitalization but survived. She's 3 years old this year and perfectly healthy. Although her daddy is almost 34" (her dam was 29") she is only about 27" at this time.

Her problem when she was born was that her organs just weren't quite developed all the way. She couldn't nurse (her stomach just couldn't deal with it) so she lived on IV nurishment for several days. She also required a plasma transfusion, lots of drugs and 24 hour care but she made it!

She won a top ten in halter at AMHR Nationals in a class of 23 as a weanling (wasn't actually weaned yet...we let her stay on momma for about 7.5 months) and the stewards told me she was the smallest horse they measured in that year. Actually, they couldn't measure her accurately as the measuring stick only went as low as 24" and it just waved over her without coming anywhere close to her. They estimated her at 22" but wrote "less than 24 inches" on her card!
default_laugh.png

So, keep positive thoughts and I'd suggest taking Becky's advice. Keeping Cappy, Mira's dam, on regumate and SMZs is what go her as far along as we did.

Best wishes for a healthy foal!

I use 300 days as a "cut off" period....now, if I can just get the mares to read this, somehow
default_smile.png

I have had preemie foals born at 295 and perfectly normal, ready to be born foals born at 283.

Then I have had a late term abortion at 296.

All mares were hand bred, so dates are correct.

There is just no rhyme or reason to it, a foal is born when it is ready, or it is in trouble, but the length of the gestation does not seem to matter.

I always remember a friend, a fellow horse breeder, expecting her first child, was told by her doctor to pack a bag and report to maternity as they were going to induce her.

She refused, went a full MONTH (brave lass) more, and gave birth to a perfectly normal, 9lbs baby boy.

As she said, had he been induced he would have been a month premature.

Sometimes Mother really does know best!!

Thank you everyone for the info. She is still holding out and is day 286 today. The foal was moving around last night and she seems comfortable still so I am optimistic that she will hold out for a bit yet. Her bag isn't tight yet but she does seem dropped a bit. I'll keep you all updated!!

Back