Dwarfism

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
I've always been curious. How many people on here would euthanise a dwarf at birth? Okay, not a mild case, but a severe, obvious case of dwarfism that would leave the foal facing surgeries/corrections etc. Kev and I talked about this before Briar was born (who is a beautiful little, perfect normal foal). Depending on the severity, we both agreed to have the vet out if that (knock-on-wood) ever happened. Thoughts?

I think its marginal for me. If there's a chance for her to live, and I had the resources to, then I would definatley try. now most vets wont put down a healthy horse, so I think if its doable without pain to the animal the vet would suggest at least trying, I probably wouldn't put it down and give it a fighting chance, but if its severealy deformed then deffinatley.

Dan

I've always been curious. How many people on here would euthanize a dwarf at birth? Okay, not a mild case, but a severe, obvious case of dwarfism that would leave the foal facing surgeries/corrections etc. Kev and I talked about this before Briar was born (who is a beautiful little, perfect normal foal). Depending on the severity, we both agreed to have the vet out if that (knock-on-wood) ever happened. Thoughts?

How many people on here would euthanise a dwarf at birth...a severe, obvious case of dwarfism that would leave the foal facing surgeries/corrections etc.
I very definately would. I have known of a couple that had numerous surgeries on their legs and feet, and had huge bulging bellies...always having intestinal problems as well. They were so terribly deformed...and the poor creatures most definately in pain every day. I know their owners thought they were doing a wonderful thing...and it cost them thousands upon thousands of dollars, and numerous day-long trips to another Provence to the Vet College...but personally I thought it so "innocently cruel".

In both cases, even after months and months of suffering...surgery after surgery...the decisions to put them out of their misery were finally made.

Those poor dear creatures made me cry just to see them.

IF IT HAD A CHANCE AT A QUALITY LIFE I WOULD GIVE THE CHANCE, BUT IF SEVERLY DEFORMED AND WOULD BE IN PAIN I WOULD PROBABLY PUT IT DOWN. ITS AN EMOTIONAL CALL.

I've thought it over before I had my first foal born here. I would have to put it down if it was severely affected. If it was just a case of it looking dwarfish but healthy then I'd let it live. I hope to never have to make that decision but if it happens I have a plan of action. I would be so hard to do, but better for everyone if the little one was bad.

we were faced with this decision about well wow I would guess 8-10 years ago now. We bought a bred mare and ended up with our little Sadie. She was VERY premature well under the 280 mark on top of being a dwarf. We ended up spending thousands on her vet bills and the vet hospital donated surgery and their time. She lived there for the first 30 days of her life and then spent several more days there thru out her life.

would I do it again? Well financially I am not in the same position however I can say she was slightly deformed looking although I quit seeing her like that pretty quickly. I can also say she had a will to live, ,loved life and showed it all the time. She was such a character- and so spoiled she lived in the house her 2nd 30 days of life as she was unable to regulate her body temps still - I actually said to raven on several occasions hey get that horse out of your room. They would nap together.
default_laugh.png
She had a make shift stall for overnight but loved to be in the middle of everything.

She loved the other horses especially our 17 hand T/B and he would always visit with her over the fence if she got mad at him she would try and reach thru the fence and bite his legs lol

It is a personal decision I am not sure there is one right answer Sadie taught us (and those who were members of the forum at the time) so much about dwarfism I personally would not have done anything different.

Here is a picture of Sadie enjoying her new Christmas toy she loved this little remote truck it would make her wild she would chase it and run wildly around the front yard. Brings back so many good memories.... and yes even with her tweaked little legs she could run like the wind lol (in her mind anyway)

th_sadie-truck.jpg

right after her hair cut

th_Sadie-raven.JPG

I have had more than my share of dwarf Minis. I made the horrible decision to put them down when I knew it was not possible for them to have any kind of quality life.1 beautifully marked little pinto filly was not as big as my barn cat and had legs like Gummby.The vet put her down after I talked to the mare and told her about her baby.I put the baby in a 5 gallon bucket on the seat of the truck with me, loaded mom and headed home.I turned the mare out in a field and she never looked back.I thnk she knew.I buried the baby and cried a lot.I still have the mare and she will live out her days here.Another mare had a colt who was very smart(nursing and standing within 20 minutes)and not really too bad except for bite, crooked legs and no neck.He was SOOO smart and agile.I spent $400 with a farrier to get his feet done and special shoes glued on.Named him CHESTER due to his funny gait.He is now a therapy horse with Veronique Matthews at Hearts and Hooves in Texas near Little America and Tony.Each case is different and each person has to do what is right for them.Putting down an animal is always difficult, but a dear long time horsey friend of mine believes that the horse will tell you when it is time to let them go.

If it's real bad and you can tell that the little guy would suffer I WOULD! BUT if not to bad off, NO I would'nt!

I also would'nt put it up for sale for way rediculous price either like I have seen on the sales board, I would offer mine to a good loving home with other dwarfs for free. JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt --

Harvey and I have had the same discussion, and we also would have a severe dwarf put to sleep if we ever had one born. I know it would be heart breaking, but that is how we decided to handle it if it ever did happen here.

Jill

Matt... most times you kind of know....
if you are not sure... just call a local horse friend of yours for advise.. I am sure Paulette or even me would be honest in an assessment...

default_wub.png

Thanks Mary Lou. I'm not concerned about having a dwarf, I'm just curious to see what people would do if they did.

Several years ago we bought a bred mare and she presented us with a dwarf the little guy worked really hard to learn to nurse and wanted to live. We had several vet visits and did lose him at 4 months old. His only issue was an off bite at least for that amount of time but it did compromise his nursing and he ultimately died of pneumonia caused by aspirated milk. He went VERY fast. Vet and I have talked many times about this baby and both of us have agreed we would do it again if that was all that was wrong. However, I just think every incidence is different and has to be a case by case decision. Some are born very disfigured and cant get up or nurse. Its like our Helen who was born with no eyes many would have put her down our decision was to give her a chance. She taught us so much about the heart these little horses have and at 3 years old she is doing fine in a new home with a family who loves her and her mother she was NOt a dwarf but did have a birth defect. If you saw her in her pasture running and bucking with her mom you would never know she was blind. This is a personal and individual decision. We have never regretted either one. I also dont think you can be sure what you will do until it happens to you as once you have been there for the birth and see that little one trying so hard to live it may change your decision. JMO

I also dont think you can be sure what you will do until it happens to you as once you have been there for the birth and see that little one trying so hard to live it may change your decision.
I couldn't agree more. So often in life we think we know exactly what we would do given certain circumstances, only to find later on that there are some things you just can't pre judge.

Like most said above, we have discussed this and if it looks like the quality of life would not be good, and the amount of pain the little one would have to suffer too much we would ask for it to be put to sleep. On the other hand if it looks like everything is good, and just a little dwarf laying there, we would love it and take care of it with a forever home.

I also dont think you can be sure what you will do until it happens to you as once you have been there for the birth and see that little one trying so hard to live it may change your decision.
I couldn't agree more. So often in life we think we know exactly what we would do given certain circumstances, only to find later on that there are some things you just can't pre judge.
default_yes.gif

Our only foal this year is a dwarf. We were concerned with the quality of his life. He had very crooked rear legs and had them in casts when he was a week old. Spike is now five months and gets around good on his crooked little legs. As long as he doesn't seem to be in pain he has a forever home with us. He has a little underbit but it sure doesn't slow him down at dinner time and he loves his Teddy Graham treats.

I recently bought a dwarf at a sale. I actually do not agree with buying (or selling!) dwarfs as I believe that buying a dwarf could certainly serve to encourage someone to try to produce another to sell.

My dwarf isn't as severely affected by his type of dwarfism as some and he may live a normal lifespan (Yay!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
). If he beings to suffer because of his dwarfism (if he were to develop a chronic bowel problem that could not be maintained without major surgery or if he developed constant, chronic join pain, etc.) I will make a difficult decision for him, but not until I am certain that the bad in his life outweighs the good.

I hope that NO ONE would euthanize a dwarf simply because it was a dwarf. There are people who will adopt them and provide loving, caring, forever homes for them. I have also seen dwarfs that were alive that were so severly affected by their type of dwarfism and had such a poor quality of life that I thought that it was cruel that they weren't euthanized. It is definitely a case by case thing for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt that is one question I have thought over several times.So much would depend on the severity of the foal. I think I would probably contact John Eberth first to see if the little one could be of any help in his studies. That would be number one. Then if he or she was physically comfortable it would have a forever home right here. If not then I would have to let it go. Part of raising and caring for our fur kids is having to make that choice sometimes. I have cried myself sick many times, but their love brings me back. Anyone that has these little guys knows what I mean.

This has been discussed several times between my family and I, and we've agreed, like many of you, that if the quality of life was at stake then yes we would make the decision to put him/her down, if his/her deformities were not severe enough to cause major problems with quality of life, and we (or someone else with dwarf knowledge/experience) could give him/her the time/care they needed, then by all means, yes we would offer the best life/care possible.. Like others have said it would be a case by case/individual basis..

To me I go by this:

QUALITY OF LIFE VS. QUANTITY OF LIFE

There is such a thing as being too loving over an animal. Sometimes people will not let go of a horse simply because of unknown/unmeant selfishness - they want to share more time with the horse. 

I agree with Katie Guinn, who just posted above.

It's a hard call, but when it comes to the issue of suffering, we would put an animal down.

Several years ago we bought a bred mare and she presented us with a dwarf the little guy worked really hard to learn to nurse and wanted to live. We had several vet visits and did lose him at 4 months old. His only issue was an off bite at least for that amount of time but it did compromise his nursing and he ultimately died of pneumonia caused by aspirated milk. He went VERY fast.
Your little guy most likely had a "cleft palate", which caused the aspirated milk. This is common with some Dwarfs. I have a friend who had a little dwarf filly who had the same problem. They noticed that she always had a bit of milk coming out her nose when she nursed, but they had no idea she had a cleft palate until she got sick with pneumonia at a few months old. The vet said they could fix the cleft palate...but they had to wait until she recovered from her pneumonia first....which she never did.
default_no.gif

Anyone who has a dwarf born, should check to be sure there is no cleft palate. If there is....you need to make a choice. Surgery to correct it....or put them down humanely, because they will, eventually get pneumonia from aspiration of milk.
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back