Dwarfism

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your little guy most likely had a "cleft palate", which caused the aspirated milk. This is common with some Dwarfs. I have a friend who had a little dwarf filly who had the same problem. They noticed that she always had a bit of milk coming out her nose when she nursed, but they had no idea she had a cleft palate until she got sick with pneumonia at a few months old. The vet said they could fix the cleft palate...but they had to wait until she recovered from her pneumonia first....which she never did.
Anyone who has a dwarf born, should check to be sure there is no cleft palate. If there is....you need to make a choice. Surgery to correct it....or put them down humanely, because they will, eventually get pneumonia from aspiration of milk.
Unfortunately, surgical repair of a cleft palate is not a good option. It's a very difficult surgery, expensive and not a very high success rate. I had a 'normal' foal born a few years ago with a cleft palate. We made the decision to put him down.

Your little guy most likely had a "cleft palate", which caused the aspirated milk. This is common with some Dwarfs. I have a friend who had a little dwarf filly who had the same problem. They noticed that she always had a bit of milk coming out her nose when she nursed, but they had no idea she had a cleft palate until she got sick with pneumonia at a few months old. The vet said they could fix the cleft palate...but they had to wait until she recovered from her pneumonia first....which she never did.
Anyone who has a dwarf born, should check to be sure there is no cleft palate. If there is....you need to make a choice. Surgery to correct it....or put them down humanely, because they will, eventually get pneumonia from aspiration of milk.
Unfortunately, surgical repair of a cleft palate is not a good option. It's a very difficult surgery, expensive and not a very high success rate. I had a 'normal' foal born a few years ago with a cleft palate. We made the decision to put him down.
I agree....surgery would be expensive & not a guarantee by any means. Choosing surgery would not be an option for many.....but my friend was ready to give their little dwarf every chance they could. They just never got the chance.
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back