Dwarfism in combination with nitrates?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minimor

Reaction score
I have had personal experience with congenital hypothyroidism in horses, in both Morgans and Miniatures.

The first incidence was in 1991 with a Morgan filly. At that time little was known about what causes the condition. Research was in its very early stages, and at that time there was no idea at all that nitrates were the culprit. At that time I talked with Dr. Andy Allen of WCVM in Saskatoon and he told me what he did know of the condition. Our Morgan filly did have a slight underbite at birth. She grew out of that in several weeks. There was absolutely nothing dwarfy about her otherwise; she was of normal size and proportion. Ears, nostrils, everything was normally sized & properly placed!

Our second experience was in 2004, with Miniatures, when we lost 50% of our foal crop--the foals died within an hour of birth. Both foals looked completely normal, but they were born very weak & died without ever getting up. They just faded away. That same year another Mini breeder also had a number of foal losses, due to the same cause. In both cases it was determined that there was an iodine deficiency, probably combined with a nitrate problem in the hay, in the mares. This other farm also had losses of weak foals, plus they had several dystocias and several foals that lived but had extremely weak legs. With time the weak legged foals did come right.

In 2004 I again talked with Dr. Andy Allen, and that is when I learned that he has come to suspect that nitrates are the root cause of congenital hypothyroidism. If the mineral balance is right the mare may be able to overcome the nitrates, but if the minerals are wrong the mare's system cannot compensate for the nitrates. We have since fixed our mineral imbalance.

In this general area there have been many farms that have suffered foal losses due to congenital hypothyroidism--most have been full size horses, of all breeds--QH, Morgan, TB, warmbloods. Symptoms seem to vary in severity (in terms of weak legs and immature joints) None of the breeders I have talked to have described any dwarfism symptoms in their affected foals. The last time I spoke with Dr. Allen I specifically asked him about the dwarf type deformities people on this board have described and said were associated with nitrates. He said he hadn't seen any such deformities in the foals he has studied--the "deformities" he described to me were the same as what I have seen personally and had described to me by other breeders in this area. Remember, the other Mini breeder that had this same trouble in 2004 did not have dwarfism symptoms either--the symptoms in her Mini foals were exactly the same as have been seen in the big horse foals in this area, and as described by Dr. Allen.

So, I have wondered, and this is my question...is it possible that with some Minis, where people are convinced that nitrates are to blame for the dwarfism that has shown up in some foals--is it possible that in some cases where the dwarf gene is already present the nitrates make the dwarf genes express themselves in a severe form, whereas without nitrates present it might have been a very minimal dwarf? I'm not saying all cases of Mini dwarfism, I'm just thinking that in instances where an owner insists that nitrates caused the dwarfism, because when the nitrate problem is corrected the dwarfism disappeared?

I'm not sure I'm expressing my question very well...I've just wondered if in Minis there's more than one factor at work in some instances--if nitrates can cause maximum expression of a dwarf gene that would ordinarily remain hidden or minimally expressed?

Thank you! (John, I'm very much enjoying reading your replies to all of these posts!)

Minimor,

Please read my post I just did to the thread Nitrates Again. I go into great length discussing Dr Allen's thesis paper with regards to hypothyroidism and its characterisitcs.

That said, your question IS very valid. Yes there is a DEFINITE chance that Miniature horses born or raised in the affected areas and are carriers of the dwarf genes can have a dwarf affected by hypothyroidism from Nitrate toxicity and show characteristics of both diseases, one due to environment and one due to genetic inheritance. OF COURSE THAT CAN HAPPEN. I APPLAUD you for having the resourcefulness to look into those things on your own, and critically examining the situation.

I have been adamant about my position because not a single person has yet to ask your intelligent question, every one of the questions posed so far have been to blanketly blame nitrates for the dwarfism irregardless of the fact that the vast majority of the nitrate toxicity characteristics look nothing like the dwarfisms seen in this breed. One characterisitc of one disease does not make it the same disease for something else with the same one characteristic.

I guess all people with club feet are dwarfs since that is a characterisitic of some dwarfisms in humans. That doesnt sound rational to me.

Dwarfism inheritance and expression is indepedent of Nitrate toxicity, one can have both and one can have either or. What you would see are the characterisitcs of both expressed if you have a dwarf with nitrate toxicity and some things will be compounded in severity, BUT Nitrate toxicity in no way will make the dwarf gene show up more often in homozygous form to cause a dwarf. Apples and oranges, recessive diseased gene and environmental toxin.

For someone to not have a dwarf since fixing the nitrate problem, they either no longer have the carriers or they are having a great session of Russian Roulette so far, and their number isnt up yet again. The percentages are still there with the same horses to have a dwarf again irregardless of Nitrate toxicity.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back