Duplocillin vs Depocillin

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmmorgans

Reaction score
Both of these products are made by Intervet. Depocillin is given every day according to the package insert - Duplocillin is long acting and should be repeated in 3 to 5 days.

Which product would you use on minis? We had horses at a sale and they came home with a virus - so we are treating horses for what appears to be influenza - coughing and some nasal discharge. We are using Excenel (Naxcel) on the weanlings and yearlings - but decided to use either depocillin or dulocillin on the mature horses. I like the idea of not having to give an injection every day - just because I don't like poking the horses every day - but not sure if the longer acting duplocillin will be as effective.

If there is a vet out there reading this - your viewpoint would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I would say neither, and would instead suggest Uniprim. I am not a vet but am speaking from experience... I have tried Derapen (long acting penicillin--that was what our vet recommended) on the respiratory infections we've had here and found that it had no effect at all. Uniprim has given us very good results and besides that--it's given orally so no messing about with penicillin injections. If the horse won't eat it with molasses mixed into grain it's very easy to mix with apple sauce & syringe into the mouth. Once a day for 5 to 7 days and it has cleared up the problem in most of the horses. We did have one case of pneumonia that we treated with Excenel and Pre-Def. Had one other case where the horse didn't respond to Uniprim and didn't respond to Excenel--he wasn't coughing & had no snotty nose, just very wheezy breathing. We finally left him alone & it ran its course & was gone--took weeks and weeks though.

The nasal discharge--is it clear or thick white/yellow/green?

Last edited by a moderator:
The nasal discharge is white and quite thick. I have Uniprim here too - but we have lots of mares together so not sure that this would work although we did give the mares oats last night and sprinkled uniprim on the oats. The problem there is we don't know if some are getting it and others aren't. If it was just a handful of horses that would be easy - as we could separate them to feed them - but we have lots of horses and this virus is going through the entire herd.

We sold a yearling at the auction - and his new owners kept him completely separate from their other horses - but despite keeping him separate - they are now dealing with a herd of coughing quarter horses!!!! This virus is extremely contagious - every single horse at the sale (not just mine) came down with it and it has spread like wildfire through everyone's herds. My vet would prefer it if we just let it run its course - but winter is fast approaching here with temps below freezing at night - and I am worried sick that someone will end up with pneumonia from a secondary bacterial infection (which is likely what is causing the nasal discharge to turn from clear to white).

My horses have been vaccinated (including influenza) but this must be a new strain of influenza as the vaccine didn't appear to be effective at all.

I am no Vet, but basic knowledge (from a nurse) is that if they have a virus, the antibiotic won't help. If a bacterial infection starts on top of the virus, then it may be necessary to use antibiotics. As far as which antibiotic, it depends on the organism. Some respond better to plain old penicillin and some are resistent and require newer generation antibiotics. I would at that point ask a Vet.

Barb

I would actually agree with the vet about letting it run it's course, and not treating unless certain animals do take a turn for the worse. There's been something circulating through some of the horse herds here all year--we haven't been badly affected this year, possibly because we had so much of it the last two years and our horses are mostly immune now--it was only a few of our horses that got it.

Normally we do let it run its course, even for those that get a secondary bacterial infection--mostly they have snotty noses for awhile, and maybe some coughing, and then it's gone. The ones we do treat are those that start to have labored breathing, or those that have a deep, croupy cough, or those that lose interest in food--and foals tend to get started on treatment sooner rather than later. Even this time of year with the colder weather/cold nights, they do okay if they can get in out of the wind & have a nice deep bedded shed to stay in.

The thing is, I know of a couple herds that have had problems all through this past summer. The horses ended up getting several courses of antibiotics, and the 'bug' just kept coming back. It appears that nothing but time is going to get those horses cleared up. If what you've got is the same thing--quite possible I think (the horses in those herds I know of were vaccinated for flu/rhino & it didn't help them either)--then you're going to find that in most cases the drugs are of no real benefit. It will probably come back in some of the horses when you discontinue treatment. (Not to be a downer here, just letting you know so you won't be quite as disappointed to have it show up again just about the time it's all cleared up!)

These types of things are not fun at all - as it is really tough trying to decide what to do. All of the breeders that took horses to the sale (and brought horses home) are dealing with this virus. Pretty much everybody is treating with penicllin injections. I do know that if it is a virus - which I believe it is - the penicillin/antibiotics will not do anything. It is the secondary bacterial infection that the penicillin may be successful in killing.

If it was summer time - with warm weather - I would not be as worried as I am now. Our winter is just around the corner - and we have minus 40 degree weather many times during the long cold winter - that is not good weather for sick horses. All of our horses have shelter - they can get in out of the snow and wind - but it is can still be bitterly cold.

At the moment - all of the horses are eating and drinking well. Many of them have a croup type of cough - many of them have snotty noses. The weanlings sound like they have some rattles going on - so they definitely need to be on penicillin.

I was reading more on Uniprim and it suggests to not give this product to pregnant mares - as the effect on the unborn foal is not known at the present time - so I will stop using it on the mares and only use it on the boys - if necessary.

When people get the flu - it just needs to run its course - and that is likely the best thing for a flu bug in horses - but it is hard to stand back and not do something. If horses could talk - and tell us how they feel - it would be much easier - but so far my herd isn't related to Mr. Ed (joking of course).

Latest posts

Back