Dr's orders....lose weight

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
I have been feeling really run down lately...and have gained weight at an alarming rate...even tho I was paddling (until last Oct), it wasn't enough, because my diet had changed for the worse. Of course in my head I knew I wasn't eating right and that I needed to change things up, but it has taken my Dr telling me I have high blood pressure and a fatty liver and the cure for both is to lose weight and exercise for it to really sink in! There were a few other little things that are caused by my weight, but I'll just leave those out.
default_unsure.png

It was 3 yrs ago, when a Dr told me I was borderline hypertensive and she had suggested exercise to help keep it under control which is how I started doing the dragon boat racing. But, DIET is also important and I let that slide A LOT in the past year.
default_sad.png

I would really like some input on how others have lost weight (truthfully, I believe in modification and not deprivation).

I know some of you were doing a forum weight loss weekly check in at one time....anyone up for that again?

default_no.gif

My Dr has not told me to loose weight. But, it isn't rocket science. In the past 6-8 months I have packed on about 45 pounds. The DR gave me this stuff that is supposed to help with constipation. It is a sugar stuff that he said the molecules are too big to absorb. Bull! Since I have been taking it I gain weight if I just smell food. I have a new DR now and I am hoping that this DR will find something that will help with out being my sole source of cals. I have had this problem needing the lactose since they re-connected me from having a colostomy (I didn't need it. I just got the wrong DR). I have never been over 160 in my life. I am now very, very near 200lbs. Exercise is difficult because of a neck injury and now my Balder and intestines. Health things can really suck.

Hi, I know exactly what you mean. exercise and modification in the diet. smaller servings. that is so hard. I am all for an forum weekly check in. I need to lose at least 45 lbs. I know my knee and back would feel better. I want to get back into riding also and that would certainly help me.

I am someone who loves to eat and can't diet in terms of not eating. Someone at work started South Beach and I saw amazing results. My husband and I both started this in January and I have lost almost 20 pounds. It was hard for me in the very beginning while you wean yourself off the processed sugar and carbs but you can eat (now my tastes have even changed and sugar free pudding tastes great). Some quantities are limited but in terms of veggies, meat, eggs, etc you can eat all you want. It isn't cheap because of the meat and veggies but it has worked well for us. I also started to work out especially walking on the treadmill. I am able to do sit ups now that I couldn't do before. I have had to buy smaller sized clothes and have alot more energy. You can go online and print out the food list for each phase. I am now in Phase II and have found some great recipes to make. PM me if you want and good luck!!

Kareng

My brother went on the low carb thing a couple of years ago. He even maintained the diet on a trip we took. He was doing amazing. But, on our way home from the trip the low carbs hit him and hit bad. He went into a melt down that I never want to see again. He actually was almost homicidal which in a SUV isn't safe. Then after we got home it hit him Physically. He almost went into a coma and had to be rushed to the hospital in an ambulance. It was determined it was the diet that caused the problems. When he went off of the diet he gained back what he lost and more. He keeps saying he is going to go on the diet again and everyone scatters. Hopefully if he does go back on it he can modify his way of life rather than just go on a diet.

It was not the South Beach that he was on. I don't remember the name of the DR that made the diet. But the DR died like a couple of years ago of hart disease.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too need to modify my diet. I found out this AM that I have gestational diabetes, and need to eat accordingly. I dont need to loose weight, but have to eat a diabetic diet. Going for more extensive testing monday to see if im going to require insulin.

I would definitely be up for a weekly weightloss check in.

I need some accountability!
default_yes.gif

I've recently been diagnosed with high BP, which the doc said could be controlled with weight loss and more excercise. I'm a big girl, always have been. 5'10", sz 20
default_pinocchio.gif
okokok 22 and would love to be able to lose 45-50 lbs.

I'm not a couch potato by any means, anyone who lives on a "farm" can relate to that, but I'm also not the type who will throw on a pair of running shoes and go running 5 miles either... just not my thing. But I do need to make some sort of "excercise" MY THING, and it is so much easier when you have weight loss buddies who encourage you.

It is just so hard to make that extra "ME" time to excercise, my day already begins at 4:30am and doesn't stop until 9-9:30 or until I drop, whichever comes first.

If only there were more hours in a day....
default_no.gif

I went to a class several years ago and it was about eating low fat. Very easy to do, compared to other kinds of diets. It is sort of a life-style change.

My sister is doing the mail-order diet. She has been on it since january and expects to reach her goal by May. It is expensive, but she couldn't do it on her own. Serving size was the culprit for her. (My problem also!)

I think reading labels and avoiding high fructose corn sugar is very important. Just about everything contains the stuff! Anything that says maltodextrin or corn syrup is bad. Also, diet drinks are proved to be bad; the body gets the jolt of sweet and sends out the insulin which has nothing to metabolize and it does something to the fat cells. Check that out. Artificial sweeteners are also proven to cause cancer.

My friend is taking a cooking class through the Extension Service about cooking for diabetics. She is not, but since it is epidemic now she wants to learn more about prevention.

Fast food is so bad, but eating right takes so much time. It is probably more expensive, too. I've read that choosing organic foods can cost up to 57% more than regular foods.

I hope you are able to find a diet that works for you. With computers and tv, it is hard not to be sedentary.

Take it from someone that has had about everything HEALTH wise...do this for YOU! You are stronger then what you think. Eat 6 small meals a day and just bypass the fast food. Very occasionaly do we eat out (we live to far from town now) I ate a Mcdonald Burger a while back and EEEWWW...my gut was upset for two days and since they buy their beef in South America now (no restrictions so who knows what they are fed) My diabetic doc told me to ALLOW yourself a treat one time a week so u do not feel deprived and that helps. Just modify what you are eating and slowly change to healthy cause it is for the rest of UR life thats why most diets fail.

I have tried South Beach and it does work, but as with any other diet, if you have other family members in the household that are not on the diet, it makes it really hard to stick to. I too need to lose about 30 lbs so if you ladies do a weekly weigh in, please let me know! I am in!

In my humble opinion not worth two cents,,,I think most people need to stop saying, I need to go on a diet. What they need to say is, for me, I need to start eating healthier!!! 90 percent of all Americans do NOT eat healthy! So I will go out on a limb here and say 90 percent of forum members do not eat healhy either.

Maybe we should have a healthy eating check in. We can do the weight thing in there too, share some healthy foods we have found that also taste good, after all, if it's healthy the taste sucks!
default_smile.png
a lot of times. Maybe share receipes as well.

I have my own built in alarm system,,,if I'm eating like crap, I start craving green beans. I have no idea why but it happens every time!!

Good luck, and good health!

Frankie...I totally agree!

When I used the word "diet" in my original post it was meant as a "change of diet", not diet like "south beach" or "atkins" or any of those "lose weight fast, but gain it back" diets. Been there, done that...yo, YO, yo YO...because of my up and down weight (as low as 125 up to 212) my metabolism is messed up. I do know how to eat healthy, I know about smaller portions, etc...It's LAZINESS that have been my downfall.

Truthfully I have not yet done anything to change it up, because I have been sick, but by next week I should be able to start walking and cooking some dinners. part of my problem has been Deb's work schedule. She doesnt get home til at least 8 PM, so IF I wanted to eat dinner with her I had to eat late and usually it was fast food/restaurant food. BUT...she will be starting a new work schedule soon which means she will be home around 6 PM now and with the DST starting, we will have time to spend outside walking together and using our BBQ (which means cooking lean chicken and veggies on the grill....yum!) and eating dinner earlier (a huge factor).

I am ready to do this....for myself. Who is in??
default_smile.png

LOL I love looking at it that way! I have 10 lbs to lose too.....three times! :)

One thing that my BF and I have started doing is exchanging our dinners, which due to his wonderful cooking are usually large and wonderful, with healthy

"salads of substance" 6 nights a week. These salads are usually made of fresh organic spinach, bell peppers, onions, cucumber, mushrooms, etc topped with grilled chicken breast or salmon and olive oil and vinegar dressing. I also add sliced almonds. We also cut out evening snacks and bread soaked in butter :). Little changes, small steps at a time seem to be the best way for me.

Also, since I brought my mini home a month ago, I have been WAY more active than usual. This winter I pretty much sat on my bootie and didn't get much activity. But now, I am moving a lot more, just due to getting ready for show season. We also brought the weights in and plan to start lifting again soon, but thats another story.

So....thats my story. I am willing to do weekly weigh ins with you guys but suggest posting simply gains/losses versus actual weights. A girls gotta keep SOME secrets! ;-)

Hi Linda and everyone, I am so geared up to do this. I have to be able to fit into my SHOW CLOTHES. I agree that diet is a bad connotation. I agree with the eating healthy, in proper proportions.

how about starting on monday. I plan on weighing myself then (heaven forbid) and keeping a journal of what I eat.

I AM READY!!!!!!

cyndia

While I agree that crash diets are not healthy for me South Beach has really motivated me and I feel that it has changed the way I eat. I consider it more of a lifestyle change for me. I worked out before without results so got frustrated. Since starting South Beach and working out I have seen results which have kept me motivated. I eat so much healthier and tend to eat at home most times since it is hard to eat healthy fast food (read the nutritional values on some of these salads that you think are healthy). It's all about choices....it I want that chocolate then I work out to balance it. I didn't have to do that in my 20's but it catches up with you as you get older. Good luck everyone!

kareng

Latest posts

Back