Driving Trainers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maestoso

Reaction score
Looking to research some excellent driving trainers within a 12 hour drive of New Hampshire. I know about Mike McCabe but who else is out there? Looking for someone with tons of experience and a proven winning show record.

Thanks!

Is Ill or MN within 12 hours? If so Jason Prince, Amber Montgomery - ILL. Or Renee Bush - MN All 3 VERY EXCELLENT!

I highly recommend Ashley Harris of Versatility Training, I know she's in OH.

Bruce Abott is in NY- Dawns Chase Farm.

I dont know if they do outside training, but the McCarthys of course.

Don't forget Darin Southwick
default_wink.png

Can I just say...one of the BEST is Mike McCabe....He and Barb are high class all the way...He is our trainer and, we feel like the luckiest people to have him here in Ohio...he is really an amazing trainer and person!!!!

He is the most HONEST horse person I have ever met...he is the real deal! I think trust and honesty in your trainer is the most important thing...its rare I KNOW...but, you will have it with Mike and Barb!!!!!

I never ever have to worry about my horses while at Mikes...they are well cared for and repected & loved!

best of luck to you

Lisa

Last edited by a moderator:
We use Bruce Abbott, Dawns Chase Farm from Oswego NY, his rates are on his website under NY Breeders Connection. McCarthy's do not do training.

If MN is not too far way I would recommend Sam Barth, he has wonderful driving horses as well.

After attending a 2 day clinic with Mike McCabe, he'd be the first person I contact about driving training, even if it meant shipping a horse from here in Maine to him in Ohio. I was very impressed with him and he'd be my first choice! Bruce Abbott turns out nice driving horses as well, as does E Pony in PA. After seeing how Mike McCabe starts them and works with them, he would be my first choice to contact.

~Jen~

Mike McCabe is definitely my first choice, but he's also everybody elses first choice
default_smile.png
so I need to keep my options open if he is all booked and can't take our mare. Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Matt,

Ashley Harris from Versatility Farm has trained several horses for people in our area and does a nice job. I just updated our club site, Mid America Miniature Horse Club MAMHC with pictures she just sent from the 2008 AMHA World Show...you can see her driving several different horses on there and

Ashley Harris

Versatility Farm & Training Center

3263 Clayton Rd.

Brookville OH 45309

937-241-6666

[email protected]

Ashley Harris does a good job, we have had 3 horses trained by her so far and have been happy with the results.

I have no personal experience with any of these trainers, and with the exception of one who is a judge as well, haven't even had any contact with them. However, I watched every driving class at this year's world show, and the driving horse I really wished I could take home was Ashley Harris' Truth or Dare.

Bruce Abbott, Oswego NY when he trains a horse ANYONE can drive it. He has done all of mine and I have just climbed into the cart at nationals, once around the practice ring , into the class and took 6th out of 24. Thats a finished driving stallion! Check with him Dawns Case Farm.

Lyn

I'm working with Sue Rogers here in Vermont, and she's wonderful.

There's also Leslie Haynes at Rough Terrain Farm in Randolph, VT, who my daughter says is very good. Leslie works with lots of minis as well as the big guys.

And of course I have to mention Robin Groves, who is in Brownsville, VT, and does clinics all over. She also does a monthly thing in the summer called Wheel Runners, at GMHA, which you have to be a member to do, but it sounds great. (See GMHA's website.) I have no personal experience with Robin other than to say she's a really nice person.

I got a nice reply from Bruce Abbott today, looks like there's a good chance our mare will be spending a few months with him this winter. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Bruce does a good job, we have had 4 with him in the last 3 yrs :)

Hope to send one in the spring!

Latest posts

Back