Driving Sneakers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an order for the medium size and she told me they were out of stock. Did you order the medium - maybe I need to touch base with her again.

Yep, ordered the B size. janie said there will be a slight hold up due to the rubber being out of stock, but they should still be ready to ship with some other harness stuff I have ordered from her.

I've had mine on order for at least two weeks now. Maybe longer (I've lost track). Maybe I should check back with her then.

I just ordered mine in the last couple of days, just rechecked my invoice from Chimacum and the rubber is expected in at the start of this coming week. Yay!

Btw how brilliant is Janie- I think she is the greatest
default_firstprize.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, the Ozark boots came and I tried them on my mare. I let her walk around in them. She walks like she is using snow shoes. I assume that is due to a- she isn't use to them and needs more time or b - they are too base wide like snow shoes and its effecting her stride. The base is hard and inflexibe and she doesn't put her heel down first and then roll over the toe instead she tries to put her hoof down flat. They didn't rub and they stayed on at a walk. I think they would be fine for a long leisurely walking drive over hard ground but not sure that I'd want her trotting or cantering for any distance in them. If the sneakers that I bought don't work - these would do - but if I were working on flexing, bending, and trotting work I would not use them. But for a simple walking fairly straight trail drive I think they would be better than sole bruising. I guess what I'm saying is the base comes out too far out around the hoof wall and comprimises her natural movement, for short non stressful periods of time it might be okay - but not for long lengths of time. I am putting a maxi pad with a sticky back on the inside between her heel and the velco strap. I stuck the stickiy part of the pad on the strap and the soft part facing her heel. She didn't rub or bruise.

I can only imagine that the boots would feel strange and interfere with her stride in the beginning -- as anything on her feet might do. I would also think she would get used to them with time. Can you turn her out in a corral so she can adjust to them?

I'm not sure if anyone is still following this thread but just wanted to update. The Chimacum tack boots did okay but my mare wouldn't trot correctly in them. She did get to the point where she would walk okay but not trotting and the last time I did get her to trot one of them came off and I couldn't find it. They didn't bruise or rub, but I had to put a pad behind her heel which I think is why one came off. Over all - I think if I had it to do over I'd try a thinner pad to see if it will stay on and if she wouldl get used to trotting in them. I worked her in them for a total of about three hours and the pad was rubbed/worn quite a bit. Without the pad I believe her heels would have been hurt. They fit her perfectly and were easy to get on. I did try putting a pair of thin socks on her before the boots but the socks got wet with the dew on the grass and then it really did rub her.

With the Ozark Mtn Sneakers - the size I bought wouldn't fit her so I tried them on my shetland and so far I have driven him in them about 5 hours. They stay on really well. One came untied but didn't come off. They fit great and are easy to get on and off. Both horses move nicely in them. My mini B actually wears a size for Mini A and my shetland wears the B sized sneakers. They didn't rub him and he seems comfortable in them but I do believe the soles will wear down pretty quick. I ordered a new pair and they came with a different tread and the sole seemed thicker - maybe they will last better. I sprayed Rhino Bed repair on the bottoms but he walked it off within about two hours of walking road work. I also tried a very thick red duct tape on the bottoms and that also lasted about 2 hours of work. I think they would do exactly as the Ozark Mtn sales person told me - they will last about three months. I asked her to see if she could get them re-soled for me and she is checking into it. I've also bought a auto floor mat that is soft, flexible, and thin that I'm thinking of cutting a bottom out and using epoxy to glue to the bottom. The easycare boots would probably be best but I've heard from several people that they are difficult to get on and off and I don't think I have the patience and back to put eight of them on and off 4-5 days a week.

Well I have been using the easy boots. I have 2 pairs of the ones listed on the easyboot website as "pony" which are listed on the Ozark site as "mini" and one pair of the "000" size which is listed as "pony" on the Ozark site again. The smaller sized ones fit well but tight to get on. They never moved and didn't rub. They might be a little easier to get on once they get their trim next week. The next size up was easier to get on and didn't come off but they did move around a bit. The horses moved out find once they walked around for a couple of minutes. They were able to trot without issue too!

What size are your horses hooves? I have a shetland that looks like he would fit in the pony size but my mini mare didn't look like she would fit in the smallest on the easy boot web site. When the boots moved around did they rub, or cause any problems with thier gait? Do you put them on all four hooves? If you had to choose - would you rather they be a little loose but easier to get on - or tighter, more difficult to get on but not moving? My back is very bad and to struggle with putting eight boots on each day would be a nightmare.

PS if you have previously listed your horses hoof size in a previous post - I apologize.

I only put them on the fronts to drive with so far but I had them on the backs in cross ties to see if they fit. The larger boots didn't rub them but I made sure I got the ones with the gaiters on them. For easy of putting on you could go with the large ones and use a pad in the front at the toe area to take up space. I have done that with large horses before without an issue. When I measured the hooves, they fell in the higher half of the sizing chart for the small ones. I don't remember exactly. I also measured right after a trim so once they grew out a little they fit a little tighter.

I wonder how Jules test drive of the Chimacum Comfyfit boots has gone? As I mentioned earlier, my mare didn't move right in them, but I believe they would be okay on a walking, flat road, drive. For me, when I tried them thru brush, mud, and tall grass that was wet, they came off and/or rubbed.

maggiemae,

See if you can find Shoe Goo -- it is specifically designed for the soles of running shoes. Having lived for several years in Tracktown, USA (aka Eugene, Oregon), I know many distance runners who swear by this stuff. It does wear off -- it's meant to -- but it prevents the expensive shoe from being worn down. It also gives added traction. I know for runners it lasts a lot longer than two hours, so perhaps it would give you longer lasting results.

I found shoe goo do they just spread a thin layer over the bottom of the shoe and let it dry?

I wonder how Jules test drive of the Chimacum Comfyfit boots has gone?
Haven't got mine yet, but hearing that you did means mine must be on the way, yay! When did yours arrive? I live in Australia so postage takes about 2 weeks.

I have been struggling with hoof thrush these past weeks. He has the smelliest hooves when I got him as an unhandled colt at the start of the year, so it took a little while before I could pick his feet out regularly. I then got on top of the thrush right away, but it is back just as bad as it first was. He is not lame or showing any visible gait problems from it, however he has also had two weeks off work as my young children have been sick. I have never had a horse with this issue before and wonder if it will be an on-going problem for him. I pick them out 2x a day, cleanse with an antibacterial agent as neccessary etc etc.

I found shoe goo do they just spread a thin layer over the bottom of the shoe and let it dry?
Yes, basically. Be sure to follow the instructions on the tube. Some use their fingers, but I'd want to use an applicator or spatula to avoid getting it on my hands. Squirt it from the tube, spread it, and after it has firmed up a bit you can take a knife and cut lines for traction.

JOY! I got horsey mail today. I am due to get horsey mail tomorrow too, a teeny pony pad for my little ones to ride in...but that is another topic altogether.

Okay, back to the Comfyfit boots from Chimacum. They came today! Along with other fabbo items from Chimacum that I 'needed'
default_whistling.gif

I worked from 4am this morning so when I got home this evening there was daylight still, but I did not feel inclined to go for a drive. so I put the boots on his fronts and went and prepared veggies for dinner. I then went back out to him before starting to cook and ran laps in his paddock. He was cantering and stopping suddenly and wheeling around to keep up with me and the boots didn't even look like moving.

I went back in cooked dinner, ate it, bathed kids and returned outside with a torch to feed pony-child his dinner and remove the boots. They were still on
default_thumbup.gif

I am absolutely satisfied they will stay on while driving as our crazy hooning around the paddock is more 'out there' than our driving.

So my impressions:

* EASY,EASY to put on

*Fit my horses' front hooves like a glove ( I got B-size). I didn't put any on the back hooves so can't comment on the fit there. His back hooves are slightly different to his fronts and the anatomy of his hoof is such that the sole and frog are not as likely to sustain impacts from stones and cruddy road surfaces. I intend to drive with front boots on only, but will revise this if I think he will benefit from being fully-booted.

* Stayed on

*Were not screaming " I have a clunky, ugly hoof boot on" They were quite subtle when on due to the close fit and black colour.

I can't see that there would be any rub issues on his heel. I have heard this concern voiced by others, but now that I have the boots here in the flesh, they don't seem any more likely to rub than boots I have used in the past with my big horses (Easyboots and Old Macs).

The buckle is located to the side of the boot and is backed by the leather of the boot. I will obviously have to do some longish drives in them to say that they unequivocally won't rub though as he only had them on for an hour or so today.

I am really happy with taking the plunge and ordering them, having boots will open up so many more trails to me that I have avoided due to the rough gravel in sections.

Will get take some detailed pics and will post on the weekend when I have more time.

I can't see that there would be any rub issues on his heel. I have heard this concern voiced by others, but now that I have the boots here in the flesh, they don't seem any more likely to rub than boots I have used in the past with my big horses (Easyboots and Old Macs).The buckle is located to the side of the boot and is backed by the leather of the boot. I will obviously have to do some longish drives in them to say that they unequivocally won't rub though as he only had them on for an hour or so today.
It was I who voiced my concerns to her about the buckle rubbing the heel, and obviously, if the buckle is backed by the leather...they DID make the change I suggested, as the buckle on my boots are not backed by leather, and DO rub the heel. this is great to know...I shall give them another chance and will buy a couple more pair now.

Back