Driving lessons on a horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LC Farm

Reaction score
I took my first driving lesson on the older show mare i bought sunday and I was sooo nervous. I also had one of my mares trained to drive and it was my daughters (daughter is an adult) first time driving her. She did great as she is use to driving their percherons. I need any tips that you can give on staying calm or will that come with more pratice? I'm not afraid that she will do something stupid as she has been driving or showing all her life. How many days a week and for how long would you suggest a newbie pratice? We drove both mares last night at home and had soo much fun. Our first show is the end of May. Can't wait to hear you tips.

Thanks

You are right to be concerned about being nervous as horses pick up on your feelings very easily and if you are nervous you will make your horse tense and nervous as well. This is what I tell my nervous students. Before getting into the cart take 10 deep slow breaths exhaling slowly as well while rolling your shoulders up with the inhale and back with the exhale. Mount the cart. Once you are in the cart listen carefully to the footfalls of your horse and count the beat of them - 1,2,3,4 for a walk, 1,2,1,2 for a trot. This will preoccupy your mind so that you are not thinking of anything that will make you nervous and has the added benefit of helping your horse become rhythmic which is necessary for his relaxation. Any time you feel yourself becoming tense slow your horse to a walk, roll your shoulders back while inhaling deeply. Good luck with it! You will soon come to a point where you are enjoying yourself so much you will laugh that you were ever nervous. I would suggest you drive as often as you have time for and for as long as you and your horse can handle as long as it isn't all boring ring work. Take frequent walk breaks and your horse can go for a long while if she is in condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much. I will try that tonight. She was owned by the same person since a weanling and I know it is different for her also having me driving her. She is 10 years old. I will take her down the lane tonight and pratice counting.

Latest posts

Back