Driving Carts & CDE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the thoughts on bridles, I will definitely make a getting a good bridle at the top of the list. Do you have an opinion on flat blinders vs. the cup type? I noticed that some of the flat ones actually push down on the horses eyes, this can't be comfortable. Thanks again.
Consider using an open bridle, no blinders at all. Horses can see more and are more informed of what is coming behind them. It's a matter of preference and what the horse does best with.

The bridle should have a wire that allows you to position the blinkers as needed so they aren't too close to the eyes. They definitely should not be touching the eyes.

My pony lives in southeastern MA (near Providence, RI) so we're probably a couple hours apart!

Consider using an open bridle, no blinders at all. Horses can see more and are more informed of what is coming behind them. It's a matter of preference and what the horse does best with.
Didn't know that was an option. I just assumed that a horse must have blinders so that they don't get freaked out that a cart is running behind them :).

The bridle should have a wire that allows you to position the blinkers as needed so they aren't too close to the eyes. They definitely should not be touching the eyes.

My pony lives in southeastern MA (near Providence, RI) so we're probably a couple hours apart!
Yes. we are a little more than 2 hours apart, bummer. That's okay though, as I have gathered enough information from everyone to make some decisions about what tack to get my little guy. Wish me (us) luck. Thank You

I use an open bridle on all my horses. Stormy gets freaked out if I use blinders on him, he likes to be able to see. I haven’t even put blinders on my other two. I like the open bridle for my trail horses. I think it just depends on the horse and what they are use to.

I picked up my K-Bike on Friday, just before it started raining again! I got to have one drive out with the donkey, and have been bested by the weather since. It felt FANTASTIC!!! Looks practically brand new. I'm so fortunate to have made that contact and gotten this vehicle. I really like the foot basket feature. I can't see myself using the foot pegs in bike mode though. Can you believe, I didn't even get a single picture?!?!?
I think the biggest treat was going down the road with my daughter and Jasmine in the easy entry and me and Phillippe in the K-cart. I'd been waiting to drive together for a long time, and now we can!! I LOVE all the adjustable features of the K-bike/cart. I actually brought it all home disassembled in the back of my Ford Escape! It was simple to put together. I watched a video on assembling the wheels on the bushings and then sized everything else up on the donkey. Because it should be stored inside, I've pulled the shafts off and put it up in my tack room. What a treat that I can!!! All the other vehicles are either outside or under a shelter.

Unfortunately our pace got cancelled the other weekend, due to rain and very soggy footing. Fingers crossed it will dry up and we can get out somewhere to get some practice. There's a cross-country facility not far away and they're open to having us come out and school with the littles.
I'd also recently ordered a driving apron. I think I'm a little wider than it was designed for, but I think it will do the trick and get us a little closer to the finished product. All things in good time...

Hey you guys!!!!!
LOOK!!!!
My driving friend and enabler advised me that I may not be able to show CDE in the K-cart because of the bars across the sides (which are awesome for stability...) but could impair one getting in and out of the vehicle. I'm good to go through training level but will have to reevaluate beyond that. Right now, I'm not looking that far because, well, donkey... We did a whopping 2.5 km last night. The neighbors are learning about our crazy antics and keeping their dogs off the roads and us safe. I'm grateful. Ali and I had a blast! Jasmine LOVES driving up on the road. She's a MACHINE!!!! Ali gets concerned that Jasmine works herself too hard and will give herself a heart attack so she's very mindful to bring the little one back to breathe and take a break, even if she doesn't want to.

Attachments

• Phillippe Jasmine Down the Road.jpg
    Phillippe Jasmine Down the Road.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Phillippe K-Bike.jpg
    Phillippe K-Bike.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Just got some news for my Canadian friends! K Bikes will soon be available in Canada once again, with Canadian fabrication! There is one currently away to get powder coated that's available for purchase. Currently does not have the foot basket, but one can be made for it.
Such exciting news!!!

Back