Driving Breeds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celtic Hill Farm

Reaction score
So, i have been doing some driving with my donkeys, and driving finnished driving horses at work for fun. And i'm having alot of fun. I think, for my next horse i want something that would be a good driving horse to show, and doubble as a riding horse for trail riding and just hacking. I really like the Flashy Hackney Ponys but there to small for me to ride. Any ideas? I don't like the Arabs, Saddlebreds, or Quarter Horses.

My riding horse is mostly Morgan and he is awesome to drive
love0034.gif

Any breed can be trained to drive, what you look for is the right temperament. Steady, calm and not spooky is what you need to start with. A lot Fjord horses are trained to ride and Drive.

I second the MORGANS motion. My neighbor competes in driving with her Morgans, does dressage with them and goes on trail rides with them in State Parks. They are a good all around horse and beautiful, too. They range from large pony size 14.2 on up to, well idk, 16 hands?

Fjords are cool, too.

Haflingers. I have 2 and they are wonder all around horses. I trained one myself and he was so so easy. The other one came to us finished and she's my daughters pony. I find Haffies to be unflappable in any situation.

I would think so. They're both very stocky breeds, in general. Welsh Cobs, or if you want to go really 'fancy', Fell Ponies might be one to look into.

Haflingers can definitely carry 160 pounds all day long. My stocky mare is only 14.2 and I've hill topped with her and gone on long trail rides and she's held up better than some of the breeds known for endurance. My gelding is a bit larger at just 15 hands and he can carry my 200 pound husband without breaking a sweat.

I

mike.bmp

Attachments

• mike.bmp
    22 KB · Views: 17
Oops, the pictures didn't post like I wanted them to. I'll try again later.

If your wanting full size the standardbreds are not the most "pretty" horses, but they were built for driving..a friend of mine has a standardbred / thoroughbred cross that she drives and although he is a bit taller, he drives really nice.

If your wanting pony size...a local lady breeds Dartmoore ponies and those are pretty neat...more shetland size but with some more bone. She does allot of CDE's with them.

Could ha halfinger and Fjord carry a 160 lbs person, WTC and over some jumps?

Oh yes.... I know fjords that do it all the time. My Fjord mare was 1100lbs at a soild 13.3 hands tall. I am 160lbs and let me tell you, she had no problems at all hauling me about!!!! They are used in cart, to work the land, hunter, jumper, cross country, dressage and Dustenai's sire kicks backside in reining!

Take a gander at their photo gallery.... you will also see my Dustenai there.

http://www.nfhr.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
Many end up going to the Mennonite and Amish but if you look, I bet you could find a nice sound driving horse for little amount of money.. ..
Some one i ride for goes down to New Holland, mabey she could help me fine a driving horse...she trained a champion Hackney pony for both Roadster and Fine harness

I would say a small draft or a draft cross. Spotted drafts are nice. That is what we are going to get my son for his first riding horse. So he can ride and drive.

i would;t be doing it by me self. The person i ride with has been going to new-Holland for 30+ years, she has trained many different breeds of horses who have successfully competed, acutaly a few of her OTTBs went to compete on the Mexican Olympic team. she's one of those people that can "pick 'em out"

Latest posts

Back