Driving Bit

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgurl_up

Reaction score
I'm posting this for a friend who can't post pictures. So here is what she sent me!

I want to know if this bit can be used for showing / driving and if so exactly where does the overcheck need to be attached to?

Does the overcheck have to move freely or can it be more 'fixed'? I am thinking the overcheck would 'stick' no matter where you tried to put it...

I am thinking the overcheck needs to be free moving on the cheek ring to work the best...

so much new stuff to learn.........

drivingbit.jpg

Thanks all!!!!

Yes that is a driving bit (can't see the mouth piece - but it looks like a mylar)

I would attach the check rein to the very top - same as the cheek piece on the outside edge (away from the mouth).. in this picture the top right corner as you face it.

Depends on the over/sidecheck. Some of the hooks won't go around the cheek ring. I've done it both ways. I prefer attaching my sidecheck to the cheek ring . I could see where an overcheck attached to the bridle loop would work better. I only use sidechecks.

Hears the thing. I've asked this same question of several different people who drive or should know how to drive and I've gotten different answers. One told me the same as above put it with the headstall. Another said that's what the extra divider is for put the side check on it between the headstall and the reins. At Natls a trainer told me that the side check goes where you thought on the same ring as the reins.

Since I've tried them all I'm guessing the horse just doesn't care!

I too would like to know. I'll be watching to see what sort of answers you get.

On this type of bit the over check side check attaches at the same place as your bridle. In the show arena it is illegal to attach it to the reign ring.

Okay, I can't see the picture from work but it is NOT illegal to attach a check to the bit ring. Where else would you put it on a regular half-cheek snaffle for instance?! But if the bit shown is a myler type cheek then Syndi is correct you shouldn't put it behind the vertical rein bar. If you do it will exert leverage and that is illegal. On a regular half-cheek the check would always slide to the top and so would not apply leverage. (Well, not enough to be recognized as such.)

The instructions I've gotten from Myler and from Estate Horse Supply are that an overcheck should be attached to the bit perch (in front of and on the same slot as the cheekpieces attach) and a sidecheck should be attached to the top of the bit ring in front of the rein bar but behind the cheekpieces. Unfortunately my side check will not buckle over the wider bit ring so I squeeze it in behind the cheekpieces on the bit perch. I don't like it there, but it's the only place it fits.

When I get home I'll check the thread again to see if there's anything about this specific bit I need to add.

Leia

drivingbit.jpg

I have ask this question to alot of people that drive and no one has had the same response.

So this is how I have mine set up--Is it legal?

I drive with a overcheck and a bit that is identical.

The square loop of the top of the bit is where I put my overcheck and the bridle is in the second loop above the silver ball ( I may have them backwards from what I wrote) and the reins are in the outside loop. I have not had any problems doing it this way and it doesn't seem to send the horse any mixed signals. So is this legal?

I could not fit both the over check and bridle into the square loop on the top of the bit..

Look forward to hearing the response...

Last edited by a moderator:
Leia,

Yes I know that there is nowhere else to hook the overcheck and bridle on a regular snaffle, but she was specifically asking about this type of bit, and it is not allowed having the overcheck or side check hooked anywhere other than the bridle port.

The Myler bit is made to be used a certain way. If you do not attach the bridle, checks and reins correctly then you will be applying pressure incorrectly to your horses mouth.

The bridle and checks should be attached in the top port. The reins should be attached at the back portion of the ring, not in front of the vertical bar. Your bridle should not be attached below the bridle port.

[SIZE=12pt]Here is what is stated for proper position on the Estate site
default_wink.png
[/SIZE]

PERCH - Bridle & over check (if used) is placed through, and this keeps bit in horizontal position of mouth at all times.

Rein Bar - keeps side check in proper location and keeps reins in correct horizontal position

Outside Ring - normal rein position

Rein Bar Ball - to keep side check (if used) above center.

Joy

PERCH - Bridle & over check (if used) is placed through, and this keeps bit in horizontal position of mouth at all times.Rein Bar - keeps side check in proper location and keeps reins in correct horizontal position

Outside Ring - normal rein position

Rein Bar Ball - to keep side check (if used) above center.
I use a side-check, and this is how I was shown to use it as well.

They are telling you that because they know that this "snaffle" applies a slight amount of pressure over the poll and if you put your overcheck on the cheek ring you will be applying more pressure than if it is on the perch. If you want to do the absolute correct thing an overcheck bit is not meant to be used on the main bit but should be used with a separate overcheck bit so that none of this comes into play.

For the bit to be used absolutely correctly the check should NOT be attached to this bit. A separate bit should be used for the check.

If you attach the check to the same bit you are giving your horse WAY to many signals and makes it confusing for a new driving horse. The hose has 3 pressure points that are used when training driving and if too much pressure is applied in to many directions it can confuse the horse.

So im sure that sounds very confusing so ill try to make an analogy:

Picture three people attach ropes to your belt; on right in the front, your right side, and between your left side and the front. Now they all are pulling at equal pressure and are expecting you to move in a certain direction but you can't understand what way so the person on your left pulls harder but that causes more pressure on the rope on your left and front.

In other words it causes A LOT of confusion. So its so much easier if you just have two different bits to make the cues a lot easier to define by the horse.

Hope this helps.

With this type of bit it acts differently that regular snaffle bits, as it is able to work indipendently on each side of your horses mouth, so that you are able to isolate one side from the other to work on a specific area. If you attach your overcheck correctly you should not have a problem, if you are using the bit as it was intended.

When telling someone to use an overcheck bit, be very careful when introducing this type of added pressure to your horses mouth. It should be used by someone that knows how to use it and when to use it. I applies a different type of leverage on your horse.

The best thing for you and your horses is to find an "experienced" trainer in your area and have them help you.

A separate bit should be used for the check.
That only holds true for an OVERcheck, not a sidecheck. They are called...overcheck bits, for this reason.

Perhaps the largest problem with the sidecheck attatched to the top rein bar as suggested, is when the sidecheck is too tight. My horses get no confusing signals, because they check is not what is holding their head in place. The head should be in the same place, with, or without a check attatched; so there is no need for it to be tight at all.

Hurrah Lori

You just hit the nail on the head and this is the proper way for check bits to be used on any horse to do the proper job, as most times the minis have a check that is just there as part of their harness without any pressure and do not have a bit attached as they in most cases have such a small mouth, and as we know check bits used improperly can do a lot of injury to a horses mouth by two innocent hands behind a horse and a tight check rein.

Pat Sheehy Hackney and Miniature Farm

A separate bit should be used for the check.
That only holds true for an OVERcheck, not a sidecheck. They are called...overcheck bits, for this reason.

Perhaps the largest problem with the sidecheck attatched to the top rein bar as suggested, is when the sidecheck is too tight. My horses get no confusing signals, because they check is not what is holding their head in place. The head should be in the same place, with, or without a check attatched; so there is no need for it to be tight at all.

As stated in the AMHR rule book Page 250 (Section 13 A-7) "Check bits may be used but are not required"

This goes for either a side check or an overcheck.

"As stated in the AMHR rule book Page 250 (Section 13 A-7) "Check bits may be used but are not required"

This goes for either a side check or an overcheck.

You can't use a check bit with a sidecheck - you wouldn't be able to adjust it to hold a bit in place. They are used ONLY with an overcheck.

Latest posts

Back