Driving benefits a stiff leg walker?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3234

Reaction score
We have a 9 yo mare that has had stiff walking gate in the rear since we got her at 2yo. She trots and runs just fine. Never been lame or has never had locking issues. We drive her, but not often. I have had several people tell me it is better to drive them if they have this stiff little gate and been given several reason for the benefits. I cannot tell if this is true one way or the other. What is your experience?

I'd think it depends on what the actual diagnosis of the affliction is. "Stiff leg" is a pretty general term. Are we talking arthritis in a joint, a mechanical issue like locking stifle, a conformational issue like poorly angulated hip/legs, an injured back, muscular issues like EPSM, etc? Because that might indicate what level of exercise is appropriate.

In cases like EPSM, where metabolism and muscles are involved, daily exercise is highly recommended to help the muscles break down the starches they seem to retain. The horse is stiff because of painful or spasmodic muscles.

But in something mechanical, more exercise might cause faster wear in inappropriate places and break your horse down physically.

What do veterinarians say the root cause of your horse's abnormality is?

Latest posts

Back