Dreamers post surgery/impaction update #3

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also hoping for a better update.... do they have any idea why she keeps impacting?

Is this normal after a surgery?

Last night when I was talking to Theresa, she said the surgeon told her anesthesia is the culprit a lot of times after surgery and causes the impactions. They thought maybe Dreamer was going to dodge it as she waited so long after surgery. I just pray that they can get her back to eating and get that impaction to pass.

Barbie

Hope today has been a better day. I don't know what specifically your vets have done for her impaction but will share what worked on one of ours. I have a chronically colicky mare - she's had surgery and has had several serious impactions in the years since. Last time I took her to the vet, I thought I was saying goodbye she was in such sad shape. I nixed more surgery, so they oiled her and worked on her for 2-3 days with no results. Last resort was to tube her with epsom salts. The vet called that afternoon and said that it broke the impaction down and things were moving.......rapidly LOL. We then dealt with the opposite problem for a few days, but things were at least motile again and she dodged the bullet one more time.

(She just delivered a nice colt last month with no problems
default_smile.png
) Just another bit of information to consider, if they haven't tried this already and if it would be appropriate for her.

Jan

We only worked 1/2 a day so we would be sure to get in to see her, got home a little while ago. She is better? She was up more to day, still not eating. Not trying to bite Art as much! Her head was more in an upright postion rather than her nose on the ground. She was not happy to see us tho. I think she is tired of everyone coming in her stall and poking and prodding at her. After a while she picked her ears up a little more. She is very tired. We just talked to her and moved her around some in her stall some. Vet said her blood work from yesterday was good. Nothing out of whack pretty normal levels. Her liver enzymes is where they should be and her white blood count is in the normal range. So no infection. The vet is optimistic about her recovery but very cautious. He will call me tomorrow after lunch with an update. Thank you to everyone who still keeps her in her prayers. We can not tell you how much this ordeal has humbled us and put us on our knees... Art, as I have had horses most of our lives. I was an equine vet tech for several years, got out of it because of a horse that I helped put down, would not cross the bridge, although it was her time to go she fought it. Tore my guts out! Soon after I left. I have lost horses over the years, we all do. But this time with Dreamer is the first time I have felt completely helpless. I have never had an experiance like this before, and I hope we never do again. But the other side to it is that if it does happen again, I will know what to expect and how to help them and others who ask for help. We will be going back to see her Thursday. Again thanks to all we are without words....Dreamer and Her Humans....

Barbie...

I really enjoyed our chat, by the time I hung up my faith was back....Thank you....

Theresa-

I too enjoyed our chat and we WILL do it again. I am so glad she is a little stronger today. I knew Dreamer needed to see you and Art and I am so glad that you are going back Thursday and I hope you get to spend the weekend there. I told little Dawn about Dreamer - Dawn is the love of my life as Dreamer is yours (along with our other halves). Today Dawn is 3 years old - when she was 3 days old, I never thought it would be possible.

Hang in there - stay strong. With all the love and prayers coming Dreamer's way, she has to be ok. This forum is very powerful.

Lots of hugs for you, Art and Dreamer - wish I could do them in person.

Barbie

I just got off the phone with the surgeon!!! "He" has Dreamer outside as I type exercising her and she wants to graze!!!! He said she has "THAT" spark back in her eyes!!!! She "does not" want to be in her stall. He said after we left she got up and started to whinney out her gate!!!!
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
He let her out and she took the same path we did as we left. He said it took a while to get there but she was determined to get there! They went out to the parking lot and she called for us
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
...Thats when she noticed the grass! HUMMMMMMMMM looks tasty she eventually got to the grass and munched!Art and I are sitting here crying like a couple of fools. I know that we are grasping at straws here, but that is all we have at the monment. We are trying not be be overly optimistic, to get let down, but we are so excited for her!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_488.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_luck.gif
.Theresa and Art

Truly amazing news!
default_aktion033.gif
Continued prayers for Dreamer's comfort and recovery.
default_yes.gif

so glad you have some optimistic news

and I hope tomorrow is even better, you got her up

and moving again with your visit

prayers for her quick recovery

and some rest for the 2 of you

Awwww that's wonderful, she smelled your scent and followed you out, I am so glad she is eating some grass, I hope they can take her for lots of walks to that same spot, it may give her the lift she needs to fight this off.

God Speed Theresa and Art, Big hugs to you all and Prayers for Dreamer still coming.

I like a lot of others never go a day without checking in and thinking of her.

Hugs

Jan

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
She's Grazing!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Wonderful news. When you go visit her on Thursday I hope it's a beautiful day so you can take her out of that darned stall and let her get some fresh air and a little more green grass.

Such wonderful news. Prayers for Dreamer's continued improvement and for you and Art to stay strong & hopeful. Situations like these remind us to take one day at a time and to stay in the moment.
default_wub.png

Wonderful news
default_aktion033.gif
Horses are alot like humans; a good dose of fresh air does wonders
default_yes.gif
Prayers to you all for continued good news
default_smile.png

Theresa & Art,

You know I am here for you - if you need a shoulder, don't hesitate to call. I truly know how humbling this experience has been for you - I wish I could take away your pain & worry ((((( ))))). We will continue to send warm & comforting thoughts to both of you and to Dreamer as well. I told Rose today that she needs to send Dreamer a message about how great the future will be, even tho it is difficult right now -- who knows, maybe she did?

Stac & Rose

That's wonderful news to wake up to. I do believe seeing you several times in the last few days has really helped her. Hopefully Rose and Dawn will continue to send her their own special messages and help keep this girl up. As per usual, I have tears in my eyes at some good news. I hope it keeps coming. Take care -hope you got some rest.

Barbie & Dawn, too

Last edited by a moderator:
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
I'm so happy for you all, continuing positive thoughts for you both and Dreamer

Kathy

BRILLIANT, JUST BRILLIANT
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Praying that this is the start of her journey back to her own home with her beloved family.

Anna

Continued prayers from here for Dreamer that the green grass will help things along and your visits can continue as it is obvious how important seeing you and Art is to Dreamer it has given her back her will to try which is so important.We all know what our little horses mean to us but sometimes underestimate what we mean to them. Come on Dreamer if you keep trying you will be home before we know it. Am praying that the update today will be continued progress forward. ((((HUGS))) to you Art and Dreamer.

AAAHHHH...there is nothing like the LOVE of a mini. Wait a little minute there is that green grass I see...mmmm....I'll be right back...munch...munch. I am so thrilled that she is eating
default_aktion033.gif

I have tears in my eyes with that GREAT NEWS
default_aktion033.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Prayers are still heading your way for a complete recovery.

I leave tomorrow will be back on Sunday hopefully you will have better news as to when she will be home :hugs

Latest posts

Back