Downsizing my herd.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartkranch

Reaction score
This has got to be my worst year.

Spring I spent 90% of my saving for my 26 year old gelding. (about 3000) on him colicing, getting his foot fixed, then meds. It really didn't seem that bad because it was so spread out. I had about 50 squares, and 10 round bales in May. Well took about 4 months to kill that.

I want to kick myself for using the saving, but I couldn't let my boy suffer, but now everyone is suffering. Winter is coming and what will I do then?!?!

I'm basically out, I bought 1000 dollars worth of hay about two months ago and its all gone. I have 2 big horses I used for showing(can't till I have money), my appenix has lamitis, one 26 year old that needs certain feed, and about 10 minis. Which 3 I can't really sell because of certain things because no one here knows what to do.

Im going to buy a round bale this morning, but that won't last a week. The minis and big horses eat on it for 12 hours each. I rotate them.

Is drying lotting easier? How can I make everything last longer? I think I might sell my show horse even tho everyone tells me don't, but I don't know what to do.
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Im so sorry you are dealing with this. I know your pain.
default_sad.png

Only suggestions I have (and what I am doing here) is to cut down your herd as best you can. And then try to coop with someone else to get a truckload of roundbales in. See if you can get a short-term loan to buy a truckload of hay at a time. It will be cheaper and easier to find that way.

Look at your herd and decide who you most certainly dont want to part with. And try your hardest to hang on to them.

Im so sorry you are dealing with this. I know your pain.
default_sad.png

Only suggestions I have (and what I am doing here) is to cut down your herd as best you can. And then try to coop with someone else to get a truckload of roundbales in. See if you can get a short-term loan to buy a truckload of hay at a time. It will be cheaper and easier to find that way.

Look at your herd and decide who you most certainly dont want to part with. And try your hardest to hang on to them.
Only ones I want to sell are the ones that had problems, but everyone around here aren't going to pay anything for them. Can't get rid of the big geldings, so only one I can sell is my show horse.
default_no.gif
Then the good minis are the ones I really can't live without.. UGH!

I tried to get a loan, but the interest rate would have killed me!

What a bummer. I think there are alot of people in your position with this economy. I know I'm feeling the pinch this year with sales down and/or bringing in less $$. I'm hoping for a very long moderately wet winter so I'll have grass until next August!

I'm sure you work hard enough but what about a part time job in the evenings, maybe a couple nights a week to off-set all the hay expenses? This is also a time for you and friends in the same boat to join forces. Get them together with trucks and trailers to go out of state and buy hay. There's plenty of hay here and I'd be happy to hook you up.

I'm sure you work hard enough but what about a part time job in the evenings, maybe a couple nights a week to off-set all the hay expenses? This is also a time for you and friends in the same boat to join forces. Get them together with trucks and trailers to go out of state and buy hay. There's plenty of hay here and I'd be happy to hook you up.
I will pm you.

None of my friends have the money, they are harder off then me.

default_no.gif
round bale use to be 55 now its 185 at the feed store! UGH

Are you watching the DFW craigslist?

Right now there is an ad on there for some coastal/rye mix round bales for $85 each in McKinney

Boy, do I ever feel your pain. In a similar sitation recently, knowing our money may just drop out from under us suddenly with the business we work for possibly going under in November, we had to make the hard choice to sell both of our boys and go horseless. It is really hard and I can't tell you how tough that first week was. But you have to remind yourself that it would be better to sell them on (especially the best ones) than to keep them without knowing that you can get them through the winter. Threre are great breeders out there and a 'one in a lifetime' horse is born every year. You will find one again, when the time is right, and you are ready to do something with them.

I know selling your show horse is particularly tough for you, from what you've said. However, if you are unable to show that horse because you have to have that money to provide for the rest of the herd, then what's the point of keeping him? Don't be so hard on yourself. With the economy the way that it is and the weather being so strange, effecting the availability of good hay, it is NOT your fault. You did what you had to do to take care of the medical needs of one of your horses and again, it is NOT your fault.

I wish you luck with your decisions. If you need to talk, feel free to PM me. Having just gone through this at the first of the month, I totally empathize with you.

I feel you. Im in a tight spot due to some very unexpected personal issues, but luckily I only have two horses. I no longer show or own biggies, but still had my tack. I sold my tex tan show saddle and matching bridle and breast collar on craigslist. I also have a "will work for hay" ad on my local craigslist, and have a local boarding barn that contacted me that needs the barn cleaned before winter and will pay in good hay, is that an option for you?

An hour away is nothing in these conditions to drive for hay.

I'm so sorry you are in this position. I two was in the same position in 2009 and sometimes it seems like I'm still there. I had, not wanted but had to go from 2 riding horses and 32 minis down to about 13. And what sold were my best stock...both in terms of quality and my emotional connection. It's hard, but its harder to not know where the money is coming to buy feed, grain, vaccinations and trims. And some I practically gave away when I found good homes with references and signed contracts about how the horses could be sold in the future. It's tough.start thinking now about ways to stretch like using beet pulp or reduced time on the round bales.

Again, I'm sorry you are going through this.

Dont see it, but mckinney is atleast 1 hours away

Last edited:
Is there a reason you let them free feed? Maybe giving them a set amount instead, or less time at the bale would make it last longer.

I was feeding last winter 4 bigs and a mini on a round bale that lasted 2 weeks. When I used to have alot more horses I only gave so much to make the bales last longer. If you let them free feed they will eat more then they really need.

Yeah an hours not bad. Im drivin 1 1/2 hours tomorrow to pick up some small square bales and then 3 hours in a week or so to get some round bales.

Gotta get it where I can get it.

Good luck with everything. You have gotten some great advice.

I agree an hour away is not bad at all and hope things work out for you.

Well I called a friend to see what she was doing. She said to get alfalfa, and they have 800 pound alfalfa that should last two months for me, she said to try it out and she'll work with me on money if I train a horse for her, since another "trainer" screwed it up.

So I got 2 800 pounds of alfalfa for more horse work. My friend said to post horse training on craigslist, and that could get me through it. they'll be 160 dollars each but no grain or feed less.

The show horse is my problem child, he's a OTTB, and one of those horses that I will miss.

How does she figure an 800 pound bale will last you a month with that many horses?

How does she figure an 800 pound bale will last you a month with that many horses?

10 are minis( who still have a 1/4 of a round bale so won't need that for a few days, and 6 big horses).

2 won't get fed that (senior feed) and a mare is leaving in a couple weeks to go to her new home, and trying to sell the other colt which I might have sold while I was typing this post.

So thats why.

Still would question that it will really last that long. I feed 3 big horses (who have acess to the round bale, but one doesnt really eat any hay as he cant chew it). A round last them about 3 weeks. Just saying I wouldnt bank on it lasting that long if you free feed.

My six miniatures are on a dry lot 90% of the time. Right now I'm feeding them roughly 1% of their body weight in hay a day. For my 6, this runs about 1/2 a 30lb bale a day. Double that and you're at 1 bale a day for 2 more horses than you have (minis anyway). I do feed them grain (Strategy), but all but the hard keeper only get 1/2 pound a day.

At a minimum, maybe pull back on how much free feed the minis are getting?

Otherwise, what you're dealing with is my biggest fear since getting our minis...I hope you can work something out {{{{{ hugs }}}}}

Back