DONE with this horrible camera!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txminipinto

Reaction score
OK, I want recommendations on a good digital camera for around $200.00

This is what I want:

Easy to use

Auto focus

Capable of getting good action shots

Good zoom (more optical than digital)

Capable of taking multiple pics at once

Fast shutter speed

Good video

AND, I want to be able to plug it directly into my computer to get the pics WITHOUT adding some software to my computer!

Anybody? I'm tired of fuzzy pics!

You might want to try an Canon Digital Elph

not sure you can get a new one for under $200

I highly recommend a digital SLR for action shots. ( canon and Nikon both have great entry level cameras) Yes they cost more but with cameras you do get what you pay for.

Use a card reader to download your images to your computer

You will need some form of software to edit and organize your photos. most cameras come with basic programs.

If you have a Wolf or Ritz Camera close by go and play with different models and brands

I don't know how to get around the software part

I have a Kodak easyshare ZD710 about $240. from Walmart. Can't complain. They put them on sale all the time, go check them out.

I also had the other Kodak easyshare that was half the price and just as good as this one but not with too many frills

I have an Olympic that is most costly that is a royal pain with too much "stuff" but the pics come out nice

Whatever is wrong with your camera, can you go to the online website and try troubleshooting?

Yes, it has a SD card (thats the memory card, right? - I'm really techno stupid). Part of my problem is I have gone thru 3 ~$100 cameras in the last 3 years. The first one is still functional and is what I'm currently using but it's sick. It freezes up on me all the time and the quality of photo has really gone down hill (I do have editing software). It's fine for taking still shots of my mature show/breeding horses, but it can't capture the foals. The 2nd one was a Kodak easy share, and it has some sort of virus/malfunction. Won't turn on and to send it for repair costs just as much as replacing it. The 3rd one I recently bought, but just doesn't take good quality photos for advertising foals and the shutter is so slow!

I'm just tired of taking hundreds of shots and getting nothing. I have two beautiful foals this year that are nicer than anything I have ever produced and I can't get a decent photo of either one of them!
default_frusty.gif

I have been looking at the Canon Digital Elph or something very similar that's on sale at Best Buy. If I'm going to spend the money, I want it to do what I want.

I was considering getting a Canon Powershot IS S5 (the new generation of the S3 I have), but yesterday, Sheryl (Irish Hill) was telling me about the Nikon Coolpix P80 ... It's more than what you are planning but OMG -- it just sounds amazing!!! I'm figuring I'll let Sheryl figure it out then bite the bullet myself
default_wink.png

I recently got a Casio Exlim. It's a fair camera for what I paid ($120). I kept going back and forth between it and a "good" camera that cost a "good" bit more. I went with this one because it's small and I can slip it in my pocket when I go sit with the horses.

I've gotten some cute shots.

pepperoni.gif

(full zoom)

For action shots again I would have to say "fair" not great.

lexXsuper1.jpg

(no zoom)

They have newer ones with a 10 mp and with a 5X zoom. I have the 8.1 and a 3X zoom, I wanted the newer but this was all they had when I was looking and I've put off getting a new camera for some time and knew I would again if I didn't get one then.

Soooo easy to download, it comes with a cord that plugs into your computer and it downloads automatically. It's not the end all camera but in it's price range I've been happy. You may be able to find a good high end used camera on Ebay.

It doesn't take pictures quickly, it's not as slow as my old camera but it still needs time to reset itself.

I have a Cannon Powershot A540. Im not sure what it cost, i got it was a christmas present, but i love it. It takes awsome action shots and takes pictures pretty fast.

Last fall we finally solved the photo issue. We have had all the frustration possible taking decent photos. You don't know how many times I almost threw one of the cameras over the fence into the bushes!

We bought a Canon Reble XT. Solved all our issues. No lag time and you can shoot a whole string of pics in a row to capture action. You have to be really shaking or moving to get a blurred pic. We can take pics almost up till dark and they come out very nice. To down load you just have a simple USB cable and put photos in what ever photo program you want. We use Microsoft Digital Image. There are loads of features on the camera but you can point and shoot and get great pics with out knowing how to use any of the other stuff.

The price was over the $200 but they are coming down all the time. $750 last fall and I think $600 now?

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I was considering getting a Canon Powershot IS S5 (the new generation of the S3 I have), but yesterday, Sheryl (Irish Hill) was telling me about the Nikon Coolpix P80 ... It's more than what you are planning but OMG -- it just sounds amazing!!! I'm figuring I'll let Sheryl figure it out then bite the bullet myself
default_wink.png
Yes, yesterday I ordered myself a brand new Nikon Coolpix P80 something or another.
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png
I am not happy with my Canon S2 IS, have sent it in 3 times for focusing issues and finally said enough. I was about to buy the Canon S5 IS and wasn't feeling good about it as the S2 IS was my first Canon and well....... Anyway, after looking around I decided on the Nikon and cannot wait to get it! 13 pics / 1 sec OMG

Only thing it doesn't have is RAW but JPEG works for me. As soon as I get my new camera and play around with it, I'll let you know what I think. I bought the Nikon on sale for $340.

I want whatever camera Getitia has LOL. I asked her once but I cant remember. Her camera gets the best color I have ever seen on a digital camera!!

Pics by Getitia

flirt-310x219.jpg

notice-228x214.jpg

lighteningjumpresize06-314x277.jpg

lightening2-326x241.jpg

I have two cameras, a Canon Powershot A520 that I've had nothing but problems with and generally poor photo quality, and a Sony DSC-H2 (discontinued now so you could probably find it cheap, or the rest of the H series is good too) that I LOVE. I love taking pictures and I've probably taken well over 3000 with my Sony, and it's very nice. It is a little large which can be annoying sometimes, but it has 12x OPTICAL zoom which makes up any lackings for me, haha.

Any cameras in the future will either be Sony or Nikon DSLRs for me, my Sony semi-compact will definitely hold me over until I can afford a proper DSLR.

A few pictures with the sony:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/you...yn/DSC02775.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/you...yn/DSC01957.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/you...an/DSC02899.jpg

I'm not sure it does rapid shooting because I've never tried it. I'll have to look into that
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back