Dog problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmhand

Reaction score
Does anyone know what worm or grum a dog can pick-up from "sniffing the ground"? I know there is some type of worm or grub that will go up the dogs nose. I think it then tries to come out the side of the neck? Any information would be appreciated. I tried doing a search but can't come up with it?

Hey I found it for you!

It would be Cuterebra Spp.

Common name: Rodent Bot Fly

It infests dogs and cats. Larvae infest rodents companion animals and occasionally humans. It acts as an irritant, some migrations can be fatal.

The larvae only infests mammals, the eggs, pupae and adult flies are part of the environment.

Does it look like a lump in the skin with a breating hole? The larvae will be dark red with spines.

You should take your dog to the vet if you think he has this as the larvae will need to be extracted and he may need antibiotics. They dont come out specifically on the neck it can be anywhere.

Hope that helps!!

If you have a pic I would love it if you emailed it to me I would love to see it as I am studying parisitology right now and i have never seen it here!!!

[email protected]

Cheers

Masako

[SIZE=36pt]Oh my gawd you have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

Farmhand I have never heard of that, especially not in dogs. This is a good thing to be informed about tho. I hope it is'nt serious. Do you expect one of your Labs got it? Hoping all is ok.

Hey I found it for you!It would be Cuterebra Spp.

Common name: Rodent Bot Fly

It infests dogs and cats. Larvae infest rodents companion animals and occasionally humans. It acts as an irritant, some migrations can be fatal.

The larvae only infests mammals, the eggs, pupae and adult flies are part of the environment.

Does it look like a lump in the skin with a breating hole? The larvae will be dark red with spines.

You should take your dog to the vet if you think he has this as the larvae will need to be extracted and he may need antibiotics. They dont come out specifically on the neck it can be anywhere.

Hope that helps!!

If you have a pic I would love it if you emailed it to me I would love to see it as I am studying parisitology right now and i have never seen it here!!!

[email protected]

Cheers

Masako
That is exactly what it is. Fortunely that is not what our dog has. I took her to the Vet just a short time ago, she says it is a allergic reaction to something. The reason I was thinking it was Cuterbrae is the one neighbor's dog contacted it a few years ago. Our dogs are part of the family so didn't mind paying the extra money for the "emergency call". I just didn't want her to suffer. Got some meds and she seems to be a lot more comfortable now. The Vet said it is a little early for the fly to start laying the eggs just yet. It isn't poison ivy, but she may be allergic to something?

Thank you everyone for the quick response. Our Vet does have some in a jar, maybe I can get some shots for you on Tuesday or ask them if they have more information if you would like.

Here are some pics I found on a Goggle image search

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...vision&cd=1

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-1...26354--,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
oh good! Im glad that it isnt Cuterebra!! Is it possible that he maybe got a spider bite or bug bite? maybe he rubbed against a plant that fertilizer or insecticide on it? lol I guess there are alot of possibilities! Thank you for the web sites too! I generally find parasites and bugs gross but I guess because im learning about them it makes me into a kind of want to know/see everything lol!!

Cheers

Masako

The Vet said with the Fly what happens is the fly finds a hole in the ground and lays it's eggs in it. The dog or cat sniffing around comes upon the hole and sniffs the larva up into it's nose. That is the most common way for them to get it.

We see several cats with these "grubs" every year in the clinic. To me they're more stomach turning than even maggots.

We see several cats with these "grubs" every year in the clinic. To me they're more stomach turning than even maggots.

Yup, it's pretty close on the disgusting scale for me. The summer I worked at the animal shelter we had a litter of kittens come in and all 4 of them had these things... and the same day we had a dog come in with a maggot problem (I will spare you the gory details, they are still stuck in my brain 15 odd years later, no need to force anyone else to carry that horror around with them).

The kittens we were able to save because the kennel manager is expert at getting them out but the dog with the maggots... well, she didn't make it.

I'm glad it turned out not to be the issue with this dog.

I've seen it a couple of times in horses. One in particular was in my daughter's pony a long time ago. He was a cutting pony, and shortly after we got him, the grub popped up on his shoulder area. I popped it, and out popped the grub. Vet told me later I shouldn't have done that, as it could have sent him into antiphlactic (sp) shock. So If I ever see another, after that, I won't pop it on my own. I called the vet after I popped it out because I knew they were in cattle, but never had heard of it being in horses before that. I also wanted to know what to put on it to heal it. I have never heard of it being in dogs or cats though. Learn something new everyday!

WOW--learn something new every day! I knew about those nasty things in cattle, and that rarely, they could show up on horses, but had NO idea something similar was 'out there' preying on small animals, and certainly not dogs and cats!! EEOOWWWW and UGGHHH! Yet another reason that I'm glad I live in good old mostly DRY New Mexico, where most such things aren't widespread or thrive, due to the dryness AND the heat!

Margo

Ewww. Riis had a couple of these in her hide when I got her. They were dead and semi-calcified by then. I squeezed them out and fluched the holes with hydrogen peroxide. It was so satisfying and gross LOL!!!!!

Latest posts

Back