Dog Groomers..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadowRidge Farm

Reaction score
Question 1) I need to purchase a new dog dryer and am looking at the Laube Magnum Force. I was wondering brand of dryers you have, and if you work in a salon or do home grooming what do you like about them? I dont work in a salon, but do home grooming just on my own poodles, but lately I seem to be doing more and more grooming for others and drying time takes FOREVER with the dryer I have now.

Question 2) What brand, cord or cordless, and how wide is the cutting blade do you have for a trimmer? I have the Oster Finisher and really do like it, but I want to find one that is cordless and good.

Last edited by a moderator:
How cool that you groom your own and are good enough at it to groom other peoples, that's got to save you tons of money. I have an Old English Sheepdog and with the grooming rates at $50, I just body clipped him last summer at home. I'm dying to keep him in coat, but it is just so expensive to do the groomer's twice a month. Heck, I don't spend $100/month going to the hairdresser myself. lol

Mominis, what is a hairdresser?????? Oh wait..I remember, thats what I am suppose to be going to ..LOL.. havent been to one in years, my daughters MIL is one and trims my hair, and dont charge me but I do have to clip her schnauzer about 2-3 times a year, so I guess its a trade off.
default_biggrin.png

You are right..I do save alot doing it myself. Our grooming rates START at $75.00 ( if the dogs are matted its a additional $25.00 per half hour they work on the dog)for standard poodles (I have 3 spoos). I have a friend who has been bringing her OE Sheepdog in for a good bath and grooming, (no clipping, just a little trim) he is such a sweetheart, and a big goofus!

lol Yes, my Nigel is a big goofus, that describes him exactly. He's a doll baby, but his mummy needs to learn how to handle an animal with an undercoat. I've tried reading up on it, but it just doesn't make much sense to me. Poor guy is going to have to go with a buzz cut again this summer.
default_sad.png

By the way, what is a 'spoo?' Is that a term for a Standard Poodle?

...LOL... I think all the Old English sheepdogs I have met have been just big cuddly goofusses.
default_biggrin.png
Yes, a spoo is a standard poodle. Do you have a good undercoat rake?

I looked at undercoat rakes, but I just can't fathom how I would get that through his coat. The teeth of the rakes are just so close together. It seems to me that it would be like backcombing the (I don't even know the term for this, so please bear with me) over layers of the coat.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Going back to your orignal post, I don't know a thing about the Laube dryers, but I know Laube makes great products.

I usually use a dematting comb on Sue's dog first then I take the rake to him. A dematting comb will loosen up the undercoat and pull out any small mats. Its SOOOO much easier to use a rake after he has been gone over with the comb. I prefer my rakes to have angled handles they seem to work, imo, so much better to reach thru the outer coat to the undercoat.

I used to groom yorkies that I sold. I usually didn't groom for anyone else other than dogs I sold as puppies. I used a person blow dryer. I only took 1 dog in at a time or if there were 2 in the family the 2 came. My puppies always loved coming to my house. They would jump out of their owners armes to come to me. But life changes and $35 at petco or petsmart (can't remember which it is just up the street) is a lot better then me doing it in my opinion.

By far the fastest dyers are the box dryers. I can dry my double coated Corgi in fifteen minutes. Using a hand held "person" dryer will find her still damp after forty minutes, and that is the longest I can keep her standing on the table. On top of that I can use the power of the box dryer to blow out the trailer, or grooming area, after the fact. My son had a mobile grooming business and I was lucky enough to get to go through his stuff and clean it and ready it for re-sale. Clipper vacs, box dryers, hand held dryers, clippers...you name it. With mobile grooming time is money so it was worth the price to get a dryer that was fast. The two brands he had were Romani and Edemco. I even use mine on the little horse prior to her spring clip down.

I'm getting ready to buy a new clipper and the local groomer swears by her 2 speed Andis. So that is what I will probably get, as I have a single speed Andis and have been happy with it.

I also have a rechargeable Oster that I use on my horses. But, I'm not sure about dogs, because the blade does not seem to operate as smoothly as an electric one, and it isn't as quiet.

Ok I have in my shop for a force dryer (we have four) 2 K-9 3 force dryers (these things are strong I can blow out a spoo in about 30 totaly dry) then we have a metro air force ( its no where near as strong as the K-9 and it would take easily an hour to blow out a spoo) and a Laube dryer its about the same thing as the metro.

As for my trimmers I use a Laube speed feed for trim work and either a wahl switchblade and the new andis 5 speed clipper for the bodies.

Good luck!

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

You can also check out petgroomerforums.com for more suggestions on dryers and such

gimp, Darn do I wish I had a son with a mobile grooming business that would of let me go thru his stuff....he wouldnt have to worry about selling anything when I was done!
default_biggrin.png
you were sure lucky to be able to go thru your sons stuff. I have a Romani clipper vac and love it, I bought it from a friend of mine who was selling her salon a few years back...now I wish I would of bought ALOT more of her items.

I have a DBl K clippers and my all time favorite clipper is the Andis Ultra Edge (2 speed) . I guess I just prefer a smaller and more lightweight clippers then the Dbl K's are.

Tammy, Thanks for all the info on the dryers. I havent bought one yet. 30 minutes for a spoo is darn good! It takes me Ohhh gosh...
default_rolleyes.gif
.forever to dry mine off, with my hand held human dryer.
default_biggrin.png
...LOL.. I will email you later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back