Dog chasing horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A neighbor's dog has begun to chase my horses. We had an episode earlier this week; fortunately the horse is fine. The dog is penned now, but they say they don't have the heart to shoot it. They do not know what to do; she is a drop-off that became a family pet and a favorite of their little daughter. She looks like a dobie.

The dog started out fine, but just lately we noticed this behavior. She's been coming into the pasture with my horses for nearly a year, but there was no sign of agression; my horses paid no attention to her. Then two more drop-offs showed up this spring and they made a pack against a neighbor's horse, but the owner shot those two. We thought the dobie would be fine, but she's worse than ever all by herself. Now we need a solution.

I can go out that way with my pistol in a holster on our walks and drives, but I dont' want to shoot the dog either. If I caught her in the act, I could do with with adrenalin, but not in cold blood while she's standing there looking at me. I'm keeping the horses close to the house for now and not allowing them into the pasture area. I don't trust that the dog will stay penned. I rely on the pasture for supplemental grazing, so this is an inconvenience for me--and the horses have THEIR noses out of joint because they want to go to the pasture!

We are rural. Our pasture abuts the gravel road where their property is. We cannot see it from our house and that makes it difficult for my husband to shoot her if she is trespassing.

Why O why do town people drop off their unwanted dogs in the country and leave the dirty work of dealing with them to us--or the coyotes???

They want to rehome her--who in cattle country would take a dobie that chases livestock and cars? She's been so good with their little girl, but I would be worried she is not safe any more.

I know this is an age-old problem and there is no easy solution.

My suggestion would be to talk with the neighbors and warn them of the seriousness of the problem.the dog is at risk for getting shot if something isn't done to stop the problem.I have friends who use shock collars on hunting dogs to break them from chasing things not on the hunter's list of approved game.He swears it works.then the dog wears a dummy collar so he thinks he has the shock 1 on.Other than that I don't know what else to suggest.I am sorry you are having such a problem.I know how worrysome it is.My rescue German Shepherd failed the test again today with my Minis.He was fine for a few minutes on the leash and then snapped at a muzzle through the fence.We keep trying but I can't trust him unsupervised around the horses.He can run looses on part of the farm if I'm in the barn or outside working, but he can't get to horses or sheep with lambs.

Years ago I worked for a vet. He owned horses, cows and his beloved great dane "Bigger". One day his wife called all in a panic, the dog had taken down a calf, by the time we got there the calf was dead. He went in the house got a rifle the dog went one way around the house he called it and went the other, one shot and the rest of the calves, foals and the local girl scouts were safe. The dog had never ever shown agression before, never knew why he went off the rails that day but there were no second chances. If that dog is chasing your horses aim well and shoot, it won't ever be a trustyworthy animal. If it is on your property as owner in most areas you have the right to shoot any animal chasing "stock" and your horses are, in the eyes of the law "stock" although I consider them my family.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read horror stories on the forum about dogs and horses. We've lived here 12 years and this is our first experience with it. Very difficult to deal with.

My husband saw the dog heading down the road toward home this evening, so obviously they are not keeping it penned, as they said. I suspect they are hoping WE will deal with it. What a disgusting passing of the buck! I guess I will have to be strong to defend my animals.

Would you rather have to shoot one of your horses that had become entangled in a fence or broke a leg in a hole or it's neck slamming into a tree to spare the dog's life?

I personally would just shoot it once it crosses the fence line.

We had a stray that started chasing our horses a few years ago. My husband opened up some bird shot and replaced the pellets with rice. Wont kill them but puts a nice sting on them. If they dont learn, then I'd put the pellets back in.

I would go over there and shoot it dead!! I just went through a year of heck with my neighbors "drop off " dogs. 2 huge Mastiff type dogs that had been used for fighting. Finally, after the dogs were chasing, killing and eating deer and not even willing to eat dog food, my neighbor took them to a shelter. I'm sure by now they are dead and I don't feel sorry for them at all. Good riddance dogs! I have no time for these type of dogs and I could shoot that thing in a second since you know your neighbor won't turn you in. You have to do whatever to protect your horses!!

I would go over there and shoot it dead!! I just went through a year of heck with my neighbors "drop off " dogs. 2 huge Mastiff type dogs that had been used for fighting. Finally, after the dogs were chasing, killing and eating deer and not even willing to eat dog food, my neighbor took them to a shelter. I'm sure by now they are dead and I don't feel sorry for them at all. Good riddance dogs! I have no time for these type of dogs and I could shoot that thing in a second since you know your neighbor won't turn you in. You have to do whatever to protect your horses!!

What kind of fencing do you have that the dog is coming on your property?

I have field fencing and also I have hot wired around the outside of it about a foot off the ground. That should stop your problem.

Will local animal control pick it up if you called them and told them about it? Around here, they would and then it will cost the owner to get it back. If it is chasing pets and farm animals, there could also be some sort of leash law that will come into effect.

If you cannot resolve it in that manner and the owners still let it run, then it needs to be dealt with before you have to deal with bigger problems like vet bills that I am sure the neighbor would have to be forced to pay as they would probably not pay them willingly since they are not willing to deal with the dog.

What kind of fencing do you have that the dog is coming on your property?

I have field fencing and also I have hot wired around the outside of it about a foot off the ground. That should stop your problem.
This is a good idea, Marty, but also a possible costly one.

No easy solution to this problem. Is the dog intact or is she spayed? Do they work with her at all or just keep her penned? Seems it would be much easier for them to build an escape proof pen with hot wires than for you to have to go hot wire your entire pasture. My heart goes out to the dogs who get dumped and become everyone's problem and I really feel for you too because your horses are in danger. I don't have any suggestions for you. I probably would have a serious talk with the neighbor and see if I could start from there and if not, I'd call animal control or the Sheriff's office depending on where you live and report the problem.

Dog-proof fencing is not an option in the larger pasture. In the area where I am keeping them now it is two strand electric.

The dog was never penned and interacted with the family freely. She is spayed. She follows me on walks and never seemed in the least agressive. I've driven by in the cart and she never bothered us. This is new behavior; that's why it's taken us all by surprise. But I think now that she has discovered how fun it is to chase, she will not stop. The neighbor helped to repair the fencing, and offered to pay the vet bill. The dog did not touch the horse; the horse got into trouble trying to escape. However, the neighbor saw it and called off the dog so the ending was much better than it could have been. And the horse is perfectly fine now, so it's hard to keep the adrenalin up. If I were dressing wounds I could stay militant.

People are expected to deal with their own animal problems here, and every place I've lived that is county and not city it is the same. It makes us fighting mad to see dumped dogs! The farmers here are always having to deal with it. My husband had to shoot a pit bull drop off a few months ago that was denned up in the rocks of our mountain. Poor thing. We don't like having to do it. I think of my spoiled rotten rat terrier, who is snoring in a cushy spot near me, fending for himself...

I think most of the dumped dogs are by young people who don't know any better. They just haven't learned about consequences. They think they will take this dog into the country--country people always love having yard dogs, right? The dog can be free and have a chance for a good life, right? He can hunt rabbits and live like nature intended, right? Someone will take pity on him and take him in, right? And at least THEY won't have to deal with it.

The spouse of a friend of mine is a vet. He went to the city council meeting where he has his clinic to protest gassing of pound animals. He said it was inhumane and recommended lethal injection. Before the meeting was over, they had coerced him to accept the contract to do the job. He hates it, but doesn't want the pound to go back to gassing. There is no solution to this problem, it just has to be dealt with day to day.

We don't have dog drop offs here, knock on wood,but the two families down the road that have big barns by the roadside get cat drop offs. It is really sad. I am sure many think the same way you stated, and what barn doesn't need a cat, or ten or twelve right!!!! Our neighbor has taken a few to be fixed at her expense and they stay around. The others get shot when the numbers get out of hand with too many drop offs.

The pounds in the Allentown and Reading area with big low income areas, are riddled with pit pulls and pit bull mixes. Many bred to be aggressive protectors. Many people with poor knowledge, little know how, small income using the dogs as status symbols among their gang or gang wanna be peers. I think I would sadly handle it the same way as you have with aggressive drop offs. Have the neighbors considered a radio perimeter shock collar, not the type you bury, the type that is on radio waves, but then again.....we're talking about a drop off, they paid nothing for and it is dispensable, so who knows if they are willing to do right by it and take proper measures.

If the family will work with you a shock collar would work- you can get them on the Internet fairly cheaply and you will need two--one you can control and one that works on noise. Thus when you are watching the dog you can prang it if it comes anywhere near the fence (you need the control, not them!) and if it gets in and starts chasing it will not be silent, and you can set the sensitivity of the collar low so a squeak will prang the dog and send it home with it's tail between it's legs (sorry, I know your Dobes don't have tails but all mine do!) I have a second hand Dobe and the only thing he really does wrong is bark- the collar stops ALL that, but only when he is wearing the collar. Twenty years ago when these collars first came on the market I bought one and I can tell you a Dobe KNOWS when it is wearing a dummy collar, or even when the batteries need charging! For the dog I have now I bought two cheap little collars off Amazon- one for barking and one for getting him used to horses with me relaxed . He was extremely responsive to both and I only have to put the collar on him to shut him up (without the collar he still barks normally, at everyone, and seagulls, and trees and rabbits- you see the problem)

Fighting the dog's corner just for a moment, she does not know what she is doing is wrong- if you tell her loud and painfully enough, once may well be enough and the problem may be over.

I love my Dobes- but I would back you 100% if you felt you could not take the chance and you shot the dog, they are big, powerful animals who were bred purely as attack dogs, you do not get the "stand off" that you get with a GSD, that is why none of our Forces will touch them for any sort of guard work.

I would go and talk to your neighbours first, they might just take it in and have it PTS if it is too much hassle. Let them know that, as the owners (and they are, whether they like it or not) they are responsible for all and every injury and vet's bill caused by it. That may be enough. If they are willing to try the collars I would give it a go, but I would have the gun there as well.

I am sorry you have to be in this position at all- stray dogs are dealt with very very quickly where I live and no-one is allowed to let their dog run loose unless they are with it, so it is a long time since I have had any sort of problem.

Your horses come first though, they are your responsibility, and, so long as you are a good shot, or know someone who is, the dog is not going to be hurt- unlike your horses, potentially.

Tell your neighbors what it will cost you to replace 1 of your horses if the dog hurts or kills it.make the figure high enough to scare the crap out of them.Many thousand dollars and you WILL go after them for all costs plus pain and suffering.Mayhbe the wallet will make them see the light.IMO dog needs to go somewhere else to live.Get the daughter a nice very small dog that stays in the house.

Regardless of the size or type of dog, dog owners need to KEEP THEIR DOGS CONTAINED on their OWN property. My dog(s) never leave my place and my horse fencing is dog proof. I dont even allow my own dog or dogs in the horse pens. The two just dont mix. Everything is fine until it isn't.

I would flat tell the neighbors what is happening and if the dog comes over again, it will be shot. Though the dog was dumped, it resides at their house now so THEY are responsible. It is not up to you to take care of their dog or make sure it finds a suitable home.

I have seen too many tragedies caused by dogs that were allowed to do what ever they wanted and it is gross and sickening to see the rips, wide open huge tears and maiming that dogs can do to livestock. As you can tell, I have NO tolerance for that kind of stuff.

Seems since the dog was never penned, it's time to pen her up or fence her in for her safety as well. I've never lived anywhere (even in our rural locations) where it was legal for dogs to run freely off the leash. Sounds as though your neighbors are good and reasonable people. So sorry you are dealing with this problem.

This should be brought up with your local Animal Control. This should be their responsibility. Usually it's taken very seriously of any "off leashed" dog harassing livestock. We've had dealings in the past. Check your local laws, but if you are going to shoot the dog, it must be directly in the act of harming or "threatening" livestock. We were told it didn't even have to be in same pen/field, but if it was chasing them from the other side of fence as well. Animal Control will usually go to the neighbor's house, ask to see licensing, warn them,etc. and explain to them what happens next. This may make it more serious to them and to not leave it "on you." Also you are being neighborly this way. The neighbors may decide the liability isn't worth keeping the dog around.

You can tell by my info I am a pro-dog person.

That said, you need to:

1) talk to your neighbor about your concerns, and the potential liability they face, and the law - and that you know they are good people. You have done most or all of that.

2) the next time the dog shows up on your property shoot it dead. Cold blooded or not. To not do so is to condemn your horse to a similar fate. It is unreasonable that you should be the one having to enhance your fencing or take other measures in response to a neighbor's lack of responsibility.

[edit] you could also get a donkey and hope the dog enters the pasture... same outcome for the dog, much more pain though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back