Dog chasing horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See if you can get pics of it on your property, especially in your horse pen. This can cause animal control to take the complaint much more seriously. A/C here will cite owners if they have enough info.

See if you can get pics of it on your property, especially in your horse pen. This can cause animal control to take the complaint much more seriously. A/C here will cite owners if they have enough info.
We live rurally. WE are the animal control. The dogs are still penned; I went by and looked yesterday. But I'm still not letting my horses out into the far pasture yet. We are prepared in case the dogs get out. The owners are trying to do the right thing, so we will work with them if possible.

If I ever see the dog IN my horses' corral I will die of heart attack. I can't even imagine how frightening that would be. The harrassment occured in the pasture. Wouldn't a dog be reluctant to enter a closed area to attack a large animal? Yes, he's a miniature horse, but he's still a lot bigger than a dobie. Thank goodness I don't have foals. O my....

No, a dog that decides to attack a horse will not be put off by the fact that the horse is in a corral rather than a pasture. If the dog can get into the enclosure then the horse is at risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
A rifle shell is a lot less expensive and MUCH more humane than letting an uncontrollable dog tear up your horses. SSS ... Shoot, shovel, shut up.

We have had experience in the past with stray dogs attacking large full sized horses. No, the size does not deter them a bit... it's a fun game to them. I have had way more experience than I would like to think about- never my dogs and not my livestock but either a neighbors or once it was full sized horses that were left in our care. It's nothing but trouble... yep, the 3S program works great.

Latest posts

Back