Does anyone use Fly Predators?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basketmiss

Reaction score
I keep seeing these in horse magazines and wonder if they work??

Anyone know?

I just feel sorry for my boys when the flies are bad, I spray them all the time and still the flies in the face and eyes! And they are constantly stomping to keep them off...

Since I hope spring is on the way I figured I better start thinking on this...

Some friends of ours in the area tried them last year.

She thought they worked great early on....they sent her

another batch according to the schedule. She then

said they didn't seem to be working much at all.

BUT there is always a but, you know, some other horse

people moved into her neighborhood, they had quite a few

horses and she wondered if it wasn't that the flies were then

from the neighbors horses.

Do the say it's one of those things that everyone in the area

need to use them for maximum effectiveness?

I'd read some years ago that a fly can have a territory

of like 100 miles....
default_unsure.png

I used them for 2 years and didn't see any difference. I am the only horse farm around so I know the flies weren't coming from anywhere else. I won't be using them this year.

I do think they work! You need to start early in the season and be consistent about using them. If you have neighbors with a fly problem it will affect their success. Fire ants will eat them before they hatch, fly spray will kill them - so it's not a perfect system but all things considered I am pleased with the results.

I do have a fly spray system in my main barn so I only use the predators in and around a smaller barn up by my house. (reminds me, I need to get them ordered asap LOL). When we built, I considered using them everywhere but haven't been without a spray system in a long time and have to admit I do like the security of knowing that will knock them down although I'm not wild about breathing the stuff.

Jan

i used them for a year and definately saw a big difference. the key is starting them early. if you start too late in the fly season, they won't help at all.

We love them and have used them for two years. I will definetly be getting more this "fly" season. Start early & keep up with them. They made a BIG difference for us. I can`t stand the flies and am not crazy about all the fly spray so these are ideal!!!
default_yes.gif

Thanks for the advice. I am gonna seriously think about using them... I gotta go online and check it out...

I used them at the old farm we use to live at for years and they worked!

Not using them this year due to the fact that we have chickens & guineas running all over the place and they'll just eat them.

I probably will regret it.
default_yes.gif

I use them and love them. I hardly get any flies. I sprinkle them around the manure pile and in their paddocks. It does say right on the package instructions that if you have horse farms nearby and they don't use fly predators that they won't work. So that is definitely something you need to consider when purchasing them.

I started too late one yr and my neighbor has horses and chickens that would com on our property. Not the neighbors moved so I am going to do them earily this year and I odered double. I am just worried about the barn. When I scoop the barn out wont it kill the preditors???

I have used the for the last 3 years and l love them. Start my shipments in March thru October. You do need to start early. One thing that really helped at our house was buying ARBICO's solar fly trap. It is a metal fly trap that you bait. The flies can't get out and kinda fry in the sun.

They explained that if when adult flys come from neighbors , etc. Each fly lays (did they say millions)? of eggs. If not it was alot. So catching the adults is also important.

I didn't see hardly any flies last year. Never had stamping horses.

But I do have a good cleanup routine where my manure goes in a dumpster. So if you have a manure pile I would buy extra parasites in your regular shipment.

Emma

I have always been happy with ARBICO and their customer service.

I am just worried about the barn. When I scoop the barn out wont it kill the preditors???
nope...it'll just relocate them to your manure pile..which is where you want them too!

We used them last year, followed the timing and directions to the letter, and didn't see enough of a difference to spend the money again this year. We were very disappointed.
default_sad.png

Shelley

Yes we do think they work! And our neighbors have cattle a little ways off but we're also in woods with wild critters so we strarted using them immediatly when we got minis. It's kept the fly population down a lot! \

I know our friends around the lake appreciate it too. We always order the bonus month and spread them faithfully to keep them from becoming adults. We still also spray the horses and use common sense for cleanless and fly control around the place. But we do think they help bunches:)

Matter of fact we already ordered our for the year and our horses are for sale..oh well.

Maxine

Latest posts

Back