Does anyone know how to stop...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taxi

Reaction score
I have a bloody nose right now and it is really bad
no.gif
! Does anyone know some ways to stop them?
unsure.gif

Thanks, Chelsey

Put some,, well I use paper towel, but toilet paper, whatever in the nostril that is bleeding and sit down and KEEP Head tilted Back...

Taxi said:
I have a bloody nose right now and it is really bad
no.gif
! Does anyone know some ways to stop them?
unsure.gif

Thanks, Chelsey

519604[/snapback]

When I was a teen, I used to get them really bad/often.

I never could tilt my head back as it then ran down my throat and well...made me sick to my stomach.

So I would get an ice pack or cool rag and lay it over the bridge of my nose and sometimes did the tissue wadded up in the nostril (yucko, so foul sounding) and wait. Try to relax and take it easy for a bit, and it's likely the bleeding will clot.

I could never blow my nose or I would often get nosebleeds, so be careful for a while til it heals up fully.

Liz M.

That's old thinking sh'min and can lead to choking in small children so please don't do it. Lean forward, put ice on the bridge of the nose and start the clock!! If it has not noticeably slowed in five minutes call 911 and ask for advice. depending on how severe it is (if it is very severe call at once)if it has not noticeably slowed in ten minutes call an ambulance or get to an ER ASAP. You may have ruptured a major blood vessel. ALL nose bleeds are caused by rupturing a blood vessel of some sort. If you get a lot of them you may have a minor blood disorder leading to thinning of the blood, or you may just need the vessel that is rupturing cauterised. Either way it is a matter for a professional.

Let's hope by now your bloody nose is only a memory. If you have them often or if they don't stop or cluster it's always best to have it checked by a doctor.

But usually they are only a minor incovenience. I, all my siblings and our children were prone to them and although it looks scarey you are definately not going to bleed to death unless you have a clotting problem nor will you choke no matter your age, aspirate or gag perhaps, choke never.

Since we had to deal with them so often and before docs did chemical cauterizing, the best way to handle them is #1 don't panic, put a bit of tissure or gauze inside the nostril(s) and pinch lightly over the plug and wait about 10 minute before removing it. No need to tilt your head either way unless you feel you need to "do" something but it generally will resolve on it's own.

There are a ton of OTC products to keep your nose moist to heal and prevent them in the future, we just took my Grandma's advice and dabbed a of olive oil from a tissue in the nostrils afterwards to heal it.

Last edited:
Nose bleeds now there is something I have lots of experience with but so far I have not found anything that gets it to stop any sooner than anything else. I have had nose bleeds all my life. As a kid I got them a lot now I get them when I have a cold or a slight bump on the nose. The worst and most embracing one I ever had was back when my hubby and I were first going out. We went to the beach one evening and we found a big hunk of driftwood and “making out†during a “breather†I reached into the sand and pulled up on something that turned out to be a long stiff piece of wire-- well it went fling with the end of it going right up my nose. Richard wanted to take me to the hospital; I remember telling him-- ya right they will think you hit me. It took a while but it did stop

Well all I know when I was taking about 25 to 30 aspirins a day,,And I had been doing this for 20 years~! My blood was so thin that I would get nose bleeds
wacko.gif
my ears would ring also,
ohmy.gif
and that wad in the nose and tipped back work fine for me...And when the neck got stiff then I would keep it at normal level..But just for a common nose bleed a wad in the nose works great.. At least now I am down to maybe 2 asprins a day Instead of 25
aktion033.gif
RA is heack to have but at least now I am retired on SS Disability
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, this is the ER treatment of choice. When we have a nosebleed come in we have the person blow the nose and get out all the clots (yeah, really gross) Spray both nostrils with Afrin which constricts the vessels in the nose and hold the bridge of the nose where the bone and cartilage meet for 15 minutes. DO NOT LET UP ON PRESSURE FOR THE FULL 15 MINUTES!!!!!! If still bleeding try a couple more rounds of this treatment. Usually that is all that is needed and the nurses had got the bleeding stopped even before the Docs had a chance to see the patient. If this doesn't do the trick then go to ER as you may need your nose cauterized or packed.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was a kid I had walking pneumonia. My nose bled for a long time(days). No one could get it to stop. My Dad took some toilet paper- wet it and put it in my mouth between my upper lip and the gums. It stopped in what seemed like to me in seconds. I don't remember how long it took, but it was fast.

wcr said:
Okay, this is the ER treatment of choice.  When we have a nosebleed come in we have the person blow the nose and get out all the clots (yeah, really gross)  Spray both nostrils with Afrin which constricts the vessels in the nose and hold the bridge of the nose where the bone and cartilage meet for 15 minutes.  DO NOT LET UP ON PRESSURE FOR THE FULL 15 MINUTES!!!!!!  If still bleeding try a couple more rounds of this treatment.  Usually that is all that is needed and the nurses had got the bleeding stopped even before the Docs had a chance to see the patient.  If this doesn't do the trick then go to ER as you may need your nose cauterized or packed.
519892[/snapback]

Well, I was going to give away the ER's "secret" bloody nose stopper but Kathi beat me to it! The point you hold pressure is actually just below the bony part of the bridge of your nose....pinch it together really hard. It's easiest if you lean forward, put your elbows in your lap and use a finger on both hands to apply pressure to both sides of your nose. Good luck!

That sounds like a neat thing to do. Although now I am not taking 25 aspirins a day like I did for the past 20 some years day in and day out I used that many~!!...So I do not have the nose bleed problems like I once did. I only take 2 one day and some days none at all...Which I am sure is better for me, although I have been on some high powered RA Meds, that I reacted badly too, and now I am not on anything, just taking it easy and that has helped at lot. Thank Goodness...

wcr said:
Okay, this is the ER treatment of choice.  When we have a nosebleed come in we have the person blow the nose and get out all the clots (yeah, really gross)  Spray both nostrils with Afrin which constricts the vessels in the nose and hold the bridge of the nose where the bone and cartilage meet for 15 minutes.  DO NOT LET UP ON PRESSURE FOR THE FULL 15 MINUTES!!!!!!  If still bleeding try a couple more rounds of this treatment.  Usually that is all that is needed and the nurses had got the bleeding stopped even before the Docs had a chance to see the patient.  If this doesn't do the trick then go to ER as you may need your nose cauterized or packed.
519892[/snapback]

Thanks everyone, I finally got it to stop last night, it stopped faster then normal last night it just lasted about 30-45min sometimes they last up to 2hrs!!
no.gif
I HATE NOSE BLEEDS! But at least it stops.

Thanks again, Chelsey

Latest posts

Back